Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs
1118full-teresa-palmer.jpg vs gillard.jpg
Adelaide Oval 7:10pm AEST Saturday 15 May 21

Forecast (at this early stage) is 40% chance of 1mm rain. Could be slippery even if it doesn’t rain

After a very flat effort against the Lions, Port Adelaide returned to the winners circle on Saturday night by taking bragging rights in Showdown 49. While a 49 point win is nothing to sneeze at, Port are not running in top gear at the moment. Juggling injuries and form, we are just doing enough to stay in touch.

Western Bulldogs have been playing some great footy off the back of a dominant midfield. That midfield, minus Stef Martin and Tim English, was tested by Carlton on Sunday. With Pittonet from Carlton dominating, the Bulldogs struggled to get 1st use and their backline was put under enormous pressure. After ½ time however, the Bulldogs started to win back the midfield battle and break Carlton hearts.

Head to head - We have enjoyed a 4-1 advantage over the last 5 games, with Bulldogs winning at Adelaide Oval in 2019. This game will be 3 in a row at Adelaide Oval. The last time we played the at home was at Eureka in 2018.

Ins and outs - Another injury to Dan Houston on the weekend and a suspension on its way to Scott Lycett will further test our resolve. Many Port supporters will be hoping to see Hayes make his debut, but Port could also use Peter Ladhams who has been building form in the SANFL, although mainly as a forward. Dan Houston will be a big loss for Port, but HBF is an area of strength. Will Trent McKenzie play his 1st AFL game of 2020, or will the coaches opt to bring Bonner back in to the side. If its Bonner, lets hope Miles Bergman is pushed to HBF and Bonner is used on the Wing.

English should return against Port, but Martin is expected to miss again. The Dogs are also expected to be without Lachie Hunter due to a broken hand. Bulldogs will more than likely cover Hunter with Mitch Wallis. I have no idea who will come out for Time English, as I expect Jordan Sweet to stay in as they continue to run with 2 ruckmen.

Key Matchups – Sam Hayes vs English/Sweet. Hayes has been in tantalizing form and if selected will be key to stopping the Bulldogs midfield getting it their own way
  • Clurey/Aliir/Jonas vs Naughton/Bruce/English. Ports backs were impenetrable vs the Crows, but with more pressure from the Bulldogs midfield, this will be a big test.
  • Amon vs Treloar. This is one I'm interested in. They may not play head-to-head so much but both are in amazing form.
Keys to winning – Midfield. It's often the way, but win the midfield battle and were half way there. Some may argue that Dunkley and Hunter out of that midfield diminishes the quality, but their replacements in Lipinski and Wallis cannot be taken lightly. Our mids have been inconsistent so far this season (Boak an exception). Wines at times has been an absolute bull, but at times has slipped into his old ways of poor disposal. The starting mids need to be wired and ready at the 1st bounce and stay switched on for the whole game or we will get rolled. Simple.

Win this well, and we could be second. The Bulldogs love to flick it around by hand till they find a free outside runner. We need to have active hands inside to disrupt clean movement, and bring our pressure - the Bulldogs collapsed against Richmond when the heat was turned on, and they were in trouble against Carlton when they were up and about, too.

Against that is Showdown letdown. It has been a big, emotional week for our club, and it is on the coaches to get the team up for this match.

Time to return to form and stun the Dogs!

WhathappenPower, Dogs by 27

Win this well, and we could be second. The Bulldogs love to flick it around by hand till they find a free outside runner. We need to have active hands inside to disrupt clean movement, and bring our pressure - the Bulldogs collapsed against Richmond when the heat was turned on, and they were in trouble against Carlton when they were up and about, too.

Against that is Showdown letdown. It has been a big, emotional week for our club, and it is on the coaches to get the team up for this match.

Time to return to form and stun the Dogs!

WhathappenPower, Dogs by 27
That's a very generous description of their stock-in-trade throw. Am worried about the umpiring this week, we aren't going to get an even break there.

I think this'll be dependent on us getting first use. If we don't, it could get out of hand very quickly. No Houston hurts, if we can jag a win with the current injury/suspended list, it'll be one for the ages.

A lot to play for, Port by a goal in an arm wrestle.

I know it means nothing, but watching them against Carltank yesterday, I thought: "Geez, we should be able to beat this mob!"

Probably the biggest game of the season so far. The 49 point win against Crows did nothing to contradict our flat track bully tag, if anything it has only further enhanced it until we manage a big scalp. That big scalp needs to come this week, we need to make a statement. Win this and the chance of finishing top 4 will be very good and it will also not allow the top 2 to get a handy break on us.

We have a history of dropping off after a showdown, but we simply cannot allow that to happen this time. The FTB tag will be well truly on us and deservedly so if we let this one slip.

Huge game.

Port by 20.

Feels like the biggest game of the year so far, can't wait.

No travel excuses this time, or comedown excuses. The showdown was rough and the post-match was emotional but the cold hard facts are we coasted over a minnow on the weekend and should be absolutely prepared for this one. Might be missing a few but so are the Dogs and we are supposed to have great depth.

I reckon after this weekend one of these two sides will be right up there and a premiership contender and the other will be likely an also ran pretender. Hoping we're good enough to be the former.

we need this win

losses to average sides like the eagles and lions highlight we have issues with pressure. Our s**t inside 50 deliveries, marshall forgetting how to catch and dixon blind as a bat at night has left georgie to do the hard work.

fingers crossed orazio finds the goals again and we have 100% effort in our midfield to help our forwards AND our backmen

Midfield, Midfield, Midfield. Break even there and we win. Simple.

Hayes, if he comes in will be very important. Must give our midfielders a chance.

Aliir is a good matchup for Naughton. Clurey for Bruce.

Our tall forwards should destroy their undersized backline if it gets the supply.

I'll say it again, it's all about the Midfield. This is the Dogs strength.

Feels like the biggest game of the year so far, can't wait.

No travel excuses this time, or comedown excuses. The showdown was rough and the post-match was emotional but the cold hard facts are we coasted over a minnow on the weekend and should be absolutely prepared for this one. Might be missing a few but so are the Dogs and we are supposed to have great depth.

I reckon after this weekend one of these two sides will be right up there and a premiership contender and the other will be likely an also ran pretender. Hoping we're good enough to be the former.
Yes agree biggest game of the year. Doggies are playing good footy and wont fear coming to AO. Should be a rippa!!

Here's something weird.

We played 7 teams at Adelaide Oval during the H&A season last year - Adelaide, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Sydney, Essendon and Richmond. Our first 5 games at Adelaide Oval this year are against 5 of those teams.

So if it seems like we're getting the same fixtures over and over again, it's because we are.

Our forward line could trouble the dogs, but I’m definitely pretty concerned about our chances in this game particularly due to the way WCE and Brisbane torched us.

Big game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop their left footers in the mid field, force them onto their right foot, or reduce how much of the ball they get.

Tough game but kind of confident. Charlie found some confidence in the showdown, he will be the key to win this game.

Port by 20

Would love a win

HeLl even a close loss over a the eagles or lions game

Midfield battle will be huge

Fork in the road of our season, lose and we'll hover around 5-8th on the ladder for the remainder of the season.

This game will come down to how our defence holds up. Their mids will smash ours, but Bruce, Naughton and Schache are very flaky players and if we put them off we'll outscore the Dogs and etch out a win.

I honestly don't know if I can trust this team yet. A true premiership contender would make a firm statement in a game like this, but we fans have been let down badly by horrific performances twice in the past 5 weeks - only a win against a quality team like the Bulldogs will ease our trepidation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back