Preview Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs Rd 9 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs missing Hunter, English and Dunckley plus Martin (whose form was average so line ball if best 22 or not) of any note.
Port missing Butters, Duursma, Lycett, Huston, plus backup depth Rocky and Jones.

Think Dogs start slight favourites here.
Their mids trump ours, but our forward line more potent - as long as our delivery is reasonable.
Low scoring slogfest.
Team that maximises their shots on goal wins a close one.
Dixon could be pivotal tomorrow.
Bonner to high forward hopefully, allowing Rozee and Gray to spend quality minutes on the ball for us.

Can't see why you guys would be worried about the umps. Port have actually received more frees for than the Dogs this year (albeit by only one). It's a misnomer that the Dogs get a free ride from the umps. We are actually ranked 11th for frees for this year. We just don't give many away, which is largely due to Bevo's system.

Is 'Bevo's system' bribing the umpiring department?

The biggest inclusion is the bald headed flog Nichols
We knew we were going to get the rough end of the pineapple from the umps but the AFL is definitely sending a clear message assigning Nichols to our game. The guy doesn't even bother trying to hide his anti-Ports bias.

Can't see why you guys would be worried about the umps. Port have actually received more frees for than the Dogs this year (albeit by only one). ...
Frees for and against is not a measure of frees correctly paid, frees incorrectly paid and frees not paid.

We're missing 7 of our best 22.
Five definite by my count (Dunkley, English, Hunter, Crozier, McLean), two borderline (Martin, Vandermeer). Wallis is strangely out of form, Richards isn't best 25.

Five definite by my count (Dunkley, English, Hunter, Crozier, McLean), two borderline (Martin, Vandermeer). Wallis is strangely out of form, Richards isn't best 25.
Like it or not Gardner makes the list as the club thinks he's part of the best 22 and is important structure wise.

I'd argue a fit VDM and Martin are definitely best 22 as well

I still think our defence will be way too strong for their s**t forwardline

This isn't meant as disrespectful to the Bulldogs by any means but is there a team in the league that is less of a rival of ours than them? Never met in a final, never met in many or any games of much consequence, not many close games or memorable encounters, not many players or coaches mixed between the clubs. The only other club in this category might be the Dees.

This isn't meant as disrespectful to the Bulldogs by any means but is there a team in the league that is less of a rival of ours than them? Never met in a final, never met in many or any games of much consequence, not many close games or memorable encounters, not many players or coaches mixed between the clubs. The only other club in this category might be the Dees.
The uh, Brent Montgomery Memorial Trophy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our highlight: Coming back from 40 down at QT to beat them in the inaugural meeting of 1997, which remains the club’s AFL-era record. Fiegs having a burst on the puffer after nailing one of his three schnags, just delightfully quirky.

Their highlight: Besting us in an arm wrestle at Adelaide Oval in 2016, which Bob Murphy credits as the moment he realised they could win it all (starting a “hey we can do it!” tradition which included Richmond in 2017 and West Coast in 2018).

Yep. The fixture is a jar of plain label mehyonnaise.

Our highlight: Coming back from 40 down at QT to beat them in the inaugural meeting of 1997, which remains the club’s AFL-era record. Fiegs having a burst on the puffer after nailing one of his three schnags, just delightfully quirky.

Their highlight: Besting us in an arm wrestle at Adelaide Oval in 2016, which Bob Murphy credits as the moment he realised they could win it all (starting a “hey we can do it!” tradition which included Richmond in 2017 and West Coast in 2018).

Yep. The fixture is a jar of plain label mehyonnaise.

That 16 game will repeat tomorrow I reckon

Yea i get it we havent had any big games against them but the duck, dive and when in doubt chuck it tactics they employ gives me the absolute shits so I always go into our games fired up...

I thought a grudge match might have brewed from the Minson Kornes sledge, but it petered out pretty quick.

Seemed to play a lot of games against them in Darwin which kind of made it a neutral venue too

I thought a grudge match might have brewed from the Minson Kornes sledge, but it petered out pretty quick.

Seemed to play a lot of games against them in Darwin which kind of made it a neutral venue too

Unlike say, our synchronicity with Brisbane and Geelong, both clubs tend to be at opposite ends of the ladder when making a serious run too.

It might not be a rivalry but we have some really good memories against Melbourne. The final game of 2011 at Adelaide oval and the season opener of 2013.

Remember enduring Melbourne supporters telling us over the summer of ‘12-13 how Mark Neeld was a year ahead of Ken in implementing a game plan and that everything would work out ok even though they will effortlessly roll us in round 1. We then smack them off the MCG and Ollie Wines looks a king in the making.

They would be ******* sweet memories if we won the flag that we should have from 2014 onward.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back