2nds Port Adelaide vs WWT Eagles - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Powerstream

Debutant
Jan 21, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our defense was good to excellent. Our midfield let them down. Nothing our defense can do when our forward line let wwt waltz out , then our midfield left players unchecked. Almost every goal for wwt came from about 30secs of play from half back line to goal. That's the small forwards like Neade and Johnson not checking or pushing up into the midfield , and not enough other players pushing hard both ways .
Totally agree with your comments, defenders were good bar Houston and Toumpas total lack of accountability. Mids not working back to support was poor. Forward pressure was non existent. Team of individuals beaten by a very good team.

Powerstream

Debutant
Jan 21, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
WWTFC are the best SANFL team at present, that still means something. In another era a fair few of our younger players would have been in a team equivalent to their reserves. I only had to watch the last half so I'll say effort wasn't the decider, in fact until the death they struggled to get clear of us. The Eagles' experience and settled team triumphed over what was one of the most 'mix and match' teams the Maggie's have fielded since they became the Power reserves.
Well said!

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Totally agree with your comments, defenders were good bar Houston and Toumpas total lack of accountability. Mids not working back to support was poor. Forward pressure was non existent. Team of individuals beaten by a very good team.
ouch n fair enough but i can't get away from coaching. We cede their HF flank from HB and it's killing us.
3 up n none down doesn't help and that's across the ground front n back.

Was my first look at Todd Marshall in the flesh today. He reminded me a bit of late-2016 Dixon. Presents really well and gets his hands to the ball a lot, but just can't stick as many marks as he should. 2017 Dixon shows how good a player like that can be if and when he starts clunking those marks. So the output right now isn't great, but there are definite signs there of the player he could be.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Don't know if it's harder or easier to get a kick in the AFL but I think it might be easier.
There's more protection and less biased umps. Free kick at 1/2 time was 15 to 4.
Guess who was 4. Garn I dare ya. It's polite and differential to say nothing but it makes a diff and i'm sick of it.
There's incompetence and there's cheating.
Nothing we haven't seen before.

Portstar Johnny

Debutant
Jul 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really average game in the end. Not much entertainment factor at all.

Good: N/A
Passable: Howard, Eddy, Monfries, Palmer, Drew
Somewhere between average and poor: Everyone else
Delist: Lobbe, Neade, Toumpas, and I hate to say it but Matt White.

Lol!! Delist Toump, he was one of the best for us today. Be a few I'd delist before him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

so it was 20 v 21 for 3/4 of the game after Snelling was stretched off in the first quarter. he is a hard nut contested ball winner. we missed him and it had an impact. our skills were poor in windy conditions. we got a lot of our defensive set up and press wrong especially when we kicked to the southern end and they kicked to the northern end.

Were you at a different oval to me? There was at worst a light zephyr.
It was gusty rather than a strong wind all day. There were several kicks for goal for both sides at the northern end that the wind took the ball off line late in the journey.

jwBBxz0.png

VgSwzfK.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Frampton obviously had plenty of mates yesterday, but geez his stats make for very ordinary reading, 5 disposals ( only 1 more than his frees against ), and 11 hit outs, for a total of 19 DT points unfortunately suggest he is still miles off an AFL gig. :(

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sometimes by losing the battle you find a way to win the war.

I am not as negative about yesterday's game as some. Don't get me wrong very disappointed in the overall effort and that some who had a chance to stand up and make a statement "pick me" didn't.

IF (underline and bold) we have a smart coaching group the lessons learnt for the players in the match reviews will be invaluable.

That is the best the Snafl have to throw at them. Talent wise, body wise, tactic wise.

We were forced to play an unbalanced structure and forced to make guys who are not ready (some who will make it, some who wont) attempt to step up.

If I was a player or coach yesterday would have told me that certain efforts and attitudes were not acceptable when you pull on a Port Adelaide guernsey but that we fix what we can fix and we can get a flag.

And that excites me.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Commentator on the radio said the umpiring was pretty even. How the hell is 26 to 14 Eagles way even remotely even?
I don't usually pay attention to the umps but it was pretty obvious the Eagles got a dream ride yesterday. It wasn't so much the ones they received but was how the umps ignored obvious frees to us.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I guess the only promising aspects sound like Gus's return is coming along nicely and a bit of promise from Marshall.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I don't usually pay attention to the umps but it was pretty obvious the Eagles got a dream ride yesterday. It wasn't so much the ones they received but was how the umps ignored obvious frees to us.
I thought we were due a 50m when Snelling got crunched and an WWT player reported?

The sanfl actually has its rules arse about. They don't want the AFL teams in their comp so call these trial games and enforce rules on the sanfl teams to ensure they play their strongest line up. Let the AFL teams choose whoever they want. We might even see decent umpiring that doesn't have an obvious agenda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back