2nds Port Adelaide vs WWT Eagles - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just wondering how many of the players who played on Saturday ( if any?) went to Shanghai?

cool wasn't sure but thought he did. he definitely played on saturday hard to miss that mark in the 2nd

Was a legit screamer.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
I tried to research that question about the Stewart report and whether a 50-metre penalty should have been awarded. The SANFL website was no help(what a surprise!) with no info on the rules used in that league. However, the rules used in the AFL a 50-metre penalty is only given after a free or mark is awarded, not when a report is made in general play. I take this to mean that had Snelling marked the ball and hen been met late resulting in a report then a 50-metre penalty would have been awarded.
The Eagles game showed that the SANFL may have to re-think the 25-metre penalty. Although 50 metres is a harsh penalty for small indiscretions there was no doubt that the Eagles were using the 25-metre penalty to slow up play.

I tried to research that question about the Stewart report and whether a 50-metre penalty should have been awarded. The SANFL website was no help(what a surprise!) with no info on the rules used in that league. However, the rules used in the AFL a 50-metre penalty is only given after a free or mark is awarded, not when a report is made in general play. I take this to mean that had Snelling marked the ball and hen been met late resulting in a report then a 50-metre penalty would have been awarded.
The Eagles game showed that the SANFL may have to re-think the 25-metre penalty. Although 50 metres is a harsh penalty for small indiscretions there was no doubt that the Eagles were using the 25-metre penalty to slow up play.
SANFL have got a lot of rules to think about.

The last touch out of bounds rule is terrible. I like the no 3rd man up rule the AFL has too. It helps rucks get in the game a bit more.

Also us being able to play our bloody captain should be allowed.

I saw an umpire give us two consecutive 25m penalties in that game and the second 25 added all of 5m. They were making it up as they went along.

Another 25 looked like it added 10m. It was a farce.

If they had paid a 50 for the Snelling hit the resulting kick probably would have finished up being taken in the back pocket.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Before we think whether Stewart nailed Snelling unfairly my view from the cheersquad admittedly a fair way away was this
Marshall had the ball (mark?) and Snelling was calling for it quickly coz he was free (20m? away).
Marshall umm'd and argh'd before popping a lazy little high'ish short pass that was NOT to Snellings advantage.
This gave Stewart time to impact the contest (he was really motoring). BANG and the crowd were soon hushed when it was obvious
Will was hurt. The bottom line it was a kick i'd hope Todd will learn from because the incident should never have come about in the first place.
Call me one-eyed but imo the Eagles were out to impose a physical presence from the outset.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Before we think whether Stewart nailed Snelling unfairly my view from the cheersquad admittedly a fair way away was this
Marshall had the ball (mark?) and Snelling was calling for it quickly coz he was free (20m? away).
Marshall umm'd and argh'd before popping a lazy little high'ish short pass that was NOT to Snellings advantage.
This gave Stewart time to impact the contest (he was really motoring). BANG and the crowd were soon hushed when it was obvious
Will was hurt. The bottom line it was a kick i'd hope Todd will learn from because the incident should never have come about in the first place.
Call me one-eyed but imo the Eagles were out to impose a physical presence from the outset.
On your last sentence, yes they did. They took a physical approach to the game and we crumbled a bit. Fair enough to them though they knew we were young and lacking in leadership so they got away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
He flattened him. It was cowardly. It was right in front of me and to even mention Marshall's kick is ridiculous.
Exactly. Snelling was open as he was running with the flight but that dickhead took his eyes if the ball and took him out.
We should remember that one...

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He flattened him. It was cowardly. It was right in front of me and to even mention Marshall's kick is ridiculous.
Nah, Marshall's kick was a perfect 'hospital ball'.
Off topic but Marshall needs to lose his 'I'm so cool' persona. Saw him warming up pre game - kick to kick with a teammate ... he fumbled and scrubbed some kicks with a ''whatever" attitude. It wasn't a good look.
The kid has the talent, I hope he doesn't waste it.

SANFL have got a lot of rules to think about.

The last touch out of bounds rule is terrible. I like the no 3rd man up rule the AFL has too. It helps rucks get in the game a bit more.

Also us being able to play our bloody captain should be allowed.

I'm honestly at the point where I want the last touch out of bounds rule in the AFL. Deliberate is so ****ed these days that they may as well go the whole way with it. At least it wouldn't be a lottery requiring umpires to be mind-readers like it is now.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm honestly at the point where I want the last touch out of bounds rule in the AFL. Deliberate is so ****** these days that they may as well go the whole way with it. At least it wouldn't be a lottery requiring umpires to be mind-readers like it is now.
It works well in the sanfl. Everyone knows the rules, it's very simple to call for the umps as well.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Nah, Marshall's kick was a perfect 'hospital ball'.
Off topic but Marshall needs to lose his 'I'm so cool' persona. Saw him warming up pre game - kick to kick with a teammate ... he fumbled and scrubbed some kicks with a ''whatever" attitude. It wasn't a good look.
The kid has the talent, I hope he doesn't waste it.
I've wondered the same and diplomatically couched it in terms of self belief. In the Todd Marshall thread there is a link to the Deniliquin
newspaper doing a feature piece and it made me a lot more comfortable.

Turiyasangitananda

Cancelled
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Generally I think Marshall is a great kick in play and for goal. Really easy on the eye. Still not sure if he's in the Mark Waugh mould of cool, or lacks intensity at times. But he has definitely shown a hunger to do better.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes, let's use that as an excuse. Marshall kicked a hospital ball so Snelling should have expected contact/high contact/ to be flattened. Heard it all. Blimey :rolleyes:
No I agree with you both. But there were two issues ... 1] Snelling being pole-axed by the oppo, and 2] Marshal's kick. You cant blame Marshall for the bad "tackle" on Snelling, the umpire should have dealt with that. But Marshall also needs to learn that hospital passes are a no-no. They create a contest, possible turn-overs, and at worst, potential serious injury. He will learn.

That kick by Marshall may have been just a bit of lack of concentration. I saw him spear out some laser-like daisy cutter passes later in the game. Almost Darrell Cahillesque stab punts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back