mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Before we think whether Stewart nailed Snelling unfairly my view from the cheersquad admittedly a fair way away was this
Marshall had the ball (mark?) and Snelling was calling for it quickly coz he was free (20m? away).
Marshall umm'd and argh'd before popping a lazy little high'ish short pass that was NOT to Snellings advantage.
This gave Stewart time to impact the contest (he was really motoring). BANG and the crowd were soon hushed when it was obvious
Will was hurt. The bottom line it was a kick i'd hope Todd will learn from because the incident should never have come about in the first place.
Call me one-eyed but imo the Eagles were out to impose a physical presence from the outset.
That was like the Jonas suspension for the hit on Gaff last year. It was a reckless action and from the position I was in I could see that it was going to happen as soon as Jonas had hesitated before running off to compete.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Slightly off topic - one aspect that really irks me I often see from current afl players ... they wait flat footed for the pass to hit their chest instead of attacking the mark. A. Young does it often but he has a lot of friends from all teams. So many times balls are spoiled because the player thinks he is on his lonesome and then comes the inevitable spoil.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Slightly off topic
I've got another one.
Oppo has the ball, our player closes in and then PAUSE. Wtf make the extra yard or so and impact the oppo players decision
with physical contact. If our player is instructed to 'corral' the oppo for fear of being sidestepped then don't fall for the Eddie Betts special,
where the player 'shows' the oppo the ball then dances/sidesteps his way to more time/space.
Forget the ball being 'shown' to you and go for the body. The rest is just theatre.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've got another one.
Oppo has the ball, our player closes in and then PAUSE. Wtf make the extra yard or so and impact the oppo players decision
with physical contact. If our player is instructed to 'corral' the oppo for fear of being sidestepped then don't fall for the Eddie Betts special,
where the player 'shows' the oppo the ball then dances/sidesteps his way to more time/space.
Forget the ball being 'shown' to you and go for the body. The rest is just theatre.
We must have a similar view of football because I saw a lot of this last Saturday. The worst offender was young Will Drew who on at least three occasions in the first half failed to tackle, but chose to 'defend space'. I felt sorry for him as he was obviously instructed to do so.
I worry sometimes about how some players interpret instructions from coaches/also how coaches instruct young players.
Young players need to learn quickly but they also need to be allowed to play instinctively with some flair.
Occasionally players like Drew need to be told "go and get a kick and enjoy".

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I'm glad others are now seeing what I've been saying about Marshall since round 1. He's got talent but there's definitely some big concerns there really his attitude/demeanor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maturity thing?
That's what I'm personally hoping. Also not sure he's totally come to grips with how hard he's going to have to work to make his AFL dream a reality. Its almost like he is playing like a kid that just sees this as a nice cushy development year where he doesn't have to go to hard now.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's what I'm personally hoping. Also not sure he's totally come to grips with how hard he's going to have to work to make his AFL dream a reality. Its almost like he is playing like a kid that just sees this as a nice cushy development year where he doesn't have to go to hard now.
Yeah, I understand it can be concerning, I don't get to see these guys live though I wish I could.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you're just making stuff up now. He's a raw kid who's learning how to play the game and who makes the occasional blue on the field. He's got a lopey gait and a crappy hair cut but that doesn't make him lazy or laconic. I've seen him bust a gut on field and he makes quick good decisions with the ball in hand. He does drift in and out of the game but less than half way into his first season in men's footy he's shown more at the same stage than any other young tall forward I can think of that we've drafted since Tredrea and Lockwood.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think you're just making stuff up now. He's a raw kid who's learning how to play the game and who makes the occasional blue on the field. He's got a lopey gait and a crappy hair cut but that doesn't make him lazy or laconic. I've seen him bust a gut on field and he makes quick good decisions with the ball in hand. He does drift in and out of the game but less than half way into his first season in men's footy he's shown more at the same stage than any other young tall forward I can think of that we've drafted since Tredrea and Lockwood.
I'm not writing him off and I still am hoping for a big career from him, but I can't ignore the clearly visible signs that worry me. If you don't see them that's great and I hope you're right. However as I mentioned a couple posts before this, others are starting to comment on it in this thread so I'm clearly not the only one seeing it now.

Turiyasangitananda

Cancelled
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree, I think he's coming along just fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back