Port Adelaide - Will you support them in the finals?

Will you support Port Adelaide in this years finals?

• Yes

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • You must be Joking, I'd rather eat freshly crapped horse manure

Votes: 45 69.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DT you cant be serious what you have been saying!

Yes Adelaide have not gone on in the finals, but they have still finished where i think everyone predicted em too.

The two losses to Brisbane means nothing...they are on of the greatest sides ever, who tipped us to win that game?

Port however have been awesome for 3 years running and have nothing to show for it, you can put any spin on it you want, but they have choked! Home final losses cannot be tolerated.

How many home finals have the crows lost?

When I was at the 97 Prelim final there was a group of 5 or 6 Port supporters sitting behind me...they were yelling for the Crows louder than anyone in the great southern stand. They really got our whole section going, especially with the "we hate you cause you're Victorian!" chant.

Even though I'm a very passionate Crows supporter (streaked down Rundle St after the 97 GF just to prove it) and grew up hating Port, ever since that day I've had a soft spot for them. I know it's a club competition and not a state competition, but I will always support a South Australian team ahead of a non-SA, even if it does mean chearing for Port. Port have had a very very good team for 4 years now and I would be pleased to see them convert that to a flag.

Let me point out that I am talking about Port the club, their fans are ferals who should all rot in hell.

Originally posted by dyertribe
Apart from 93, what would you call our abysmal fadeouts at the end of 01, 02, 03?

2002:

Finished third at the end of the minor round. Got drilled by Brisbane at the Gabba to the tune of 71 points in the Qualifying Final. Backed up to just beat the Demons at the MCG after squandering an 8 goal lead before losing against Collingwood in the Prelim after holding a goal's lead at halftime.

By the time we got to the Prelim that year our boys had travelled 4 or 5 weeks in a row, including to Perth and Brisbane...it was amazing they got as far as they did that year. Is that choking? Definitely not. Is it a fade out? If you call physical and mental exhaustion a fade out, then yes.

Originally posted by Macca19
I have to wonder why any Crow supporter would seriously support the Power during the finals.

Its a club based competition, not a state based one.

I wouldnt expect any Crow supporter to support us, nor would I expect any Power supporter to support the Crows.

When the finals start and your team isn't in it you sometimes have a preference of who you want to win it.

So there's your answer as to why a Crows fan might go for Port in the finals.

I won't be.

Originally posted by relapse
2001, yes the loss to Fremantle that year was unacceptable and cost us a home final. Considering what we came from in 2000 and made the final against most peoples predictions we just finished eight, played in Melb against the 5th placed Carlton I wouldnt consider that a choke when you consider that Carlton were very warm favourites to win.

2002 Played Brisbane (premier that year and the year before) up at Brisbane in a final that in itself is near impossible. Agreed that the result was poor, but could we have really pulled a win off???. We then had to play in Melbourne even though we earned a home final (after travelling to Brisbane the week before which was a very warm night over there from memory) we played three dominant quarters, Melbourne clearly killed us in the third, but when you consider we travelled the week before that has to be partly the reason for a very poor fadeout in the third quarter. Against collingwood, we travelled for the third week straight Macca was on one leg and Edwards got snipered and we courageously fought to the end in that game and whilst we lost you certainly had to be pretty proud of the effort that day.

2003 Had a confortable win (at home) against WEagles and then another tough unwinable road trip to Brisbane.

There is a difference between playing sides above you and being outclassed than playing finals at footy park against sides that you finished about 6 games clear of at the end of the minor round and getting beat especially when both collingwood and sydney had multiple players out injured.

You point out things like the game against Melbourne in 2002, but Port havent won a final on the road even though during the minor round for the last two seasons they have been clearly the best team. Choking to me is more about upset losses against teams that your far surperior than, to me its not losing games against teams placed higher and bascially being outclassed.

I agree that Adelaide havent delivered, BUT I think that came from the fact that we didnt have a side good enough to win a premiership more so than blowing our chances losing games that we were overwelling favourites in (in which there werent really any). That to me is the difference between what has happened to Port in comparision to Adelaide.

pretty much spot on really!

u cant choke if u werent supposed to win in the first place!

its nice to "gloss" over one of the clubs all time great finals wins, but the Melb Final will go down as one of the great finals games! i was there, so it is easier for me to appreciate!

Playing a side at their home ground, when it should have been played at AAMI, coming from Brisbane after a walloping in very warm temperatures, playing in warmish conditions at the G, grabbing an 8 goal lead then blowing it to fall behind by 3 and a half goals, only to run all over the top of what should have been a fresher Melb team on their home ground!

Yep gloss over it if u want, but im pretty satisfied with what the AFC put up in 2002, and only after half time of the Prelim were we physically and mentally drained! If thats choking, then, well we're guilty! BUT i know we gave it our all, against the odds, and against predictions at seasons start that we wouldn't make the 8!

Originally posted by tatts00
DT you cant be serious what you have been saying!

I am, because I'm sick of hearing about Port's so-called choking when we're just as good at doing the same ourselves - finals or nay, we've become experts at bottling important games in the past few years to limp home into disappointing finishes.

Originally posted by MaccasNeighbour
If you call physical and mental exhaustion a fade out, then yes.

So who is to say Port weren't physically and mentally exhausted after their exertions in the previous three seasons?

In 2002 - the year you speak of - Port Adelaide's run home to the finals and subsequent September campaign was thus:

2002: R19 Optus Oval, R20 Showdown, R21 Subiaco, R22 AAMI (Brisbane for Minor Premiership), QF AAMI vs Collingwood, SF AAMI vs Essendon, PF Brisbane and out.

So it's alright for us to blame it on "exhaustion" and not call our failures "chokes" despite the fact that not only have we completely arsed up in the first week of the finals (2003 against a soft depleted West Coast side excepted), but we start early in important August minor round fixtures too.

Glad we cleared that up.

Port finished on top, they were the best team running 2 years running and when it came to the finals they have under performed.

you can excuse it once possibly twice but not 3 times, even a port supporter would say they have under achieved come finals time.

Port finished on top, they were the best team running 2 years running and when it came to the finals they have under performed.

you can excuse it once possibly twice but not 3 times, even a port supporter would say they have under achieved come finals time.

No doubt they underachieved, but to wheel out the c-word for every loss or given opportunity now?

It's laughable - especially considering we've become absolute also-rans and will continue to be for some time, while they march towards another top-four finish and finals appearance despite a season of adversity.

Take for instance all those that laughed at their loss away to Essendon - mmmm funny considering we've never beaten the Bombers in Melbourne in ten attempts since entering the comp.

Is that all we've got now - taking lame snipes at Port Adelaide?

The first sign of a bleeding club that has fallen from greatness is when it extracts joy from the failures of a more successful rival before lauding its own achievements. Take for instance our two Premierships - when's the last time they were brought up except to rub in the face of Port fans?

Is this how far we've sunk?

Originally posted by _espoir
well.... didnt realise once a team lost its a CHOKE.... so have you guys choked before? i believe so. 93 Prelim- doesnt the crows supporters remember that game. Up by 7 goals at half time.... then what happened? think about it. Think hard and long.

Macca19- not even worth trying to talk to half the supporters on this board. They just dont understand.... ;)

**** off then swampie

Originally posted by DaveW
They'd probably provide Brisbane with the best opposition on grand final day.

I don't know whether i agree with this Dave I reckon & it came true on Saturday that the only team who can match Brisbane is Sydney. They nearly beat them last year in the finals! They match up very well with them & play them very well.

Having said this i don't think Sydney will make it to the Grand Final to beat them!!

Originally posted by crows98
**** off then swampie

Quite the charmer aren't we? Why the need for such an offensive comment?

Are you a fan of verbally abusing women?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by dyertribe
Quite the charmer aren't we? Why the need for such an offensive comment?

Are you a fan of verbally abusing women?

l dig the chicks mate, for the record l said Pi..off..not fu.. off

shut up moron, Go back and stick up for more Port Power supporters, you cretin.

Not going to get into a argument again with you again Dyertribe, any of your comments are just going to be treated like a grain of salt

If anything I'll be happy for them to win for the sake of my Port supporting mates but it doesn't really bother me one way or the other. There are other teams in the 8 that I really dislike so I would support Port against them any day.

l dig the chicks mate, for the record l said Pi..off..not fu.. off

shut up moron, Go back and stick up for more Port Power supporters, you cretin.

Not going to get into a argument again with you again Dyertribe, any of your comments are just going to be treated like a grain of salt

You will get into an argument with me if you keep that garbage up.

The Power and Crows supporters on this board usually get along quite well - it's only imbeciles like you, Johnny-come-latelys with no tact or intelligence - who periodically come out of the woodwork to take things altogether too seriously and abuse respected longtime posters.

If you wish to keep up your personal attacks and careless language then by all means keep it up - if you want to be banned that's your problem.

just easy to see that you dismissed the first area of my post.. and all you can say is **** off?

nice. :rolleyes:

I won't support them, but I admit I would rather see them win a Grand Final then the Victorian teams or Brisbane... I know it will mean never-ending crap from them, but I'm just stick of getting it from Qld and Vic :p
OMG, I can't believe I just typed that!

just easy to see that you dismissed the first area of my post.. and all you can say is **** off?

nice. :rolleyes:

Don’t you learn by your mistakes, 93 was a CHOKE big time. Cornes and the boys failed to win when they were 42 points up, l admit it. We CHOKED in 93

But we have never been favourers to win a GF, 97 and 98 were a major surprise and the last 4 or so year most commentators have predicted us finish in the bottom 8, so every thing has been rewarding. So our fade out have not been a choke.

I apologize for telling you to P/O

I wont be supporting them.
I am sick of copping abuse from people i know who support the power. At the moment the only comeback I have is the fact they continually bomb out in september, if they went on to win the premiership i'd be buggered.
I do agree with you though BB i am sick of Brisbane winning, i would not mind seeing Geelong or Melbourne to win.

I apologize for telling you to P/O

i dont accept an "apologize" very often.

Mostly when you have a go at me, then dyertribe says something back supporting me and you have a dig at him for no apparent reason?

you first insult at me was totally unnecessary - your other comments just as pointless.

I do agree with you though BB i am sick of Brisbane winning, i would not mind seeing Geelong or Melbourne to win.
Yeah, if I victorian team has to win I would prefer it to be one that hasn't won for a long while :p
This year it seems I'll be supporting Freo and Sydney in the finals

Originally posted by relapse
you finished about 6 games clear of at the end of the minor round and getting beat especially when both collingwood and sydney had multiple players out injured.

People wuickly forget our injuries last year. We were missing Primus, Francou and James - 2 of them were all australians the year before and together those 3 made up our 3 most damaging midfielders.

In 2002 Collingwood were only missing Buckley. This still had the rest of their top 10 players out on the park (Clement, Burns, Davis N, Fraser, Presti, Rocca, Tarrant, Licuria, Lockyer, Wakelin). Collingwood play Footy Park like its their home ground as you know considering how many times theyve beaten the Crows here and they usually only lose to us by a kick or beat us here over the last 3-4 seasons.

Sure we should have won both, especially the Sydney game and theres no excuse for that. But the Collingwood game was never going to be the one sided affair everyone seemed to think it would be.

[/b][/quote]You point out things like the game against Melbourne in 2002, but Port havent won a final on the road even though during the minor round for the last two seasons they have been clearly the best team.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Who have we played on the road tho?

In 1999 it was our first final, half our players were still under 21 and we played the dominant Kangaroos. Never gonna win that.

In 2001 we played Brisbane whove never lost a home final ever.

In 2002 we played Brisbane whove never lost a home final ever

In 2003 we played Collingwood who were never gonna lose against us and who you lost to the year before at the MCG.

i dont accept an "apologize" very often.

Mostly when you have a go at me, then dyertribe says something back supporting me and you have a dig at him for no apparent reason?

you first insult at me was totally unnecessary - your other comments just as pointless.

And you did have a dig first,

Macca19- not even worth trying to talk to half the supporters on this board. They just dont understand

so l will stand by my apology if you accept it fine, if not doesn’t bother me.

take it or leave it

And you did have a dig first,

Macca19- not even worth trying to talk to half the supporters on this board. They just dont understand

If you got upset at that then here's a tissue, sniffles - unless you consider yourself to be in the half of supporters that doesn't understand... ah it all makes sense now.

Back