Club History Port Adelaide's 10 most influential people to our history

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst we are on Geoff Motley.
I was wondering why Peter Motley never played for Port like his Dad?
I did hear Geoff had a falling out with the club for several years or maybe Peter followed Sturt as a youngster and wanted to only play for them?

Geof had a huge falling out with the club, during which time he actively tried his best to destabilise, and even hurt us.

There was no wy in hell he'd let his son come anywhere near us, hence Peter became a Sturt player.

Geof had a huge falling out with the club, during which time he actively tried his best to destabilise, and even hurt us.

There was no wy in hell he'd let his son come anywhere near us, hence Peter became a Sturt player.
Thanks for that mate.From all reports Peter could have been better than both Kernahan and Bradley except for his horrendous accident.

Being new to this forum, I had a good read through this thread from start to finish. I thought some of the posts were 'unusual'; then i realised it was created back in 08.
Well done on bumping the thread, Ford.
Several years down the track and perhaps KT and Kochie may become a couple of worthy candidates. Both have had an amazing impact on our recent AFL days. If the club was to win an AFL premiership, whilst still being on the board, I'd have to think they'd be in the list.

Some names not on that list worth considering

Post WW II
Greg Phillips he was the bloke that helped win us 8 flags. John Cahill said he was the man he trusted most when he was coaching. If we didn't win all those flags in the lead up to 1990 and post 1990 we wouldn't have had as strong an arguement to enter the AFL.

Geoff Motley took over from Fos and succeed straight away. 9 flags counts in my book.

Agree with Ford about Bob Clayton and those that developed the West Coast zone.

Pre WW II
Harold Oliver. I always find it hard to seperate him and Shine Hoskings' influence on our club.

Les "Bro" Dayman. CHF in the Greatest team. Great player, 20+ state games. Pur first big goal kicker.

C. Hayter secretary of the club from 1927 to 1948. Big Bob took over in 1949. I think he is ex board member Frank Hayter's father or grand father.

So pleased to see Harold Oliver's name there!

my 10

1) Fos Williams
2) Bob Quinn
3) Jack Cahill
4) Russell Ebert
5) Big Bob McClean
6) Bucky Cunningham
7) Scotty Hodges
8) Timmy Evans
9) Greg Boulton
10) Trevor "Bubbles" Obst

others

Greg Phillips, Timmy Ginever, Stephen Williams, Mark Williams, Shine Hosking,

that is very disappointing (that he had a falling out with the club)...

my 10

1) Fos Williams
2) Bob Quinn
3) Jack Cahill
4) Russell Ebert
5) Big Bob McClean
6) Bucky Cunningham
7) Scotty Hodges
8) Timmy Evans
9) Greg Boulton
10) Trevor "Bubbles" Obst

others