Resource Port Adelaide's 1990 AFL bid via 'The Canberra Times'

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being at Norwood Oval in the early 1990's, when the then Norwood GM, Glen Rosser walked past me. Now Rosser had made a statement a week or two earlier in the SA Footy Times, saying that "hell will freeze over before we let Port into the AFL". As he got next to me, I said "look out hell is about to freeze over". He told me to "get stuffed" and I said something like "you are a wa*ker. He just kept walking, but it was quite a turbulent few years from 1990 until we were awarded the licence in December 1994.

It was a zero sum game. I'm not sure what future the other SANFL clubs saw themselves other than complete subordinance to the national league and/or us for all eternity. The mighty Legs [citation needed] hadn't even contested a Grand Final since Bradburying from fifth in '84 and wouldn't win a flag until '97 after all the best Magpies made the step up and the rest were sentenced to Ethelton.

As it was, they all got their rivers of cash above and beyond what they ever could've earned for themselves via the Crows and then Port and inevitably ended up as a sort of Coca Cola Championship to the Premier League as was already happening before our rogue bid.

From Rucci's article today that smithy7 posted on page 4 of this thread, Oakley is quoted as saying:

“In front of a rather hostile meeting of the SANFL clubs (on North Tce), I explained that a ‘traditional’ club with an established supporter base had to be the second club as it would be too hard to build support for another composite club.”

This can shut the mouths of all the anti-Port w@nkers suggesting that our team should have been called Adelaide Power. It was logical that the second AFL team needed to have an established supporter base given the first AFL team was setup as a composite side and branded as pseudo-state team franchise.

My god, Rucci looks like he's in a Feres Trebilse ad.

Or this one:

475824991-20120829-170817nres.gif

That ad looks straight out of 1978 but there's a cell phone number so it can't be! I remember that Arturo Taverna had a big shop on Currie St. for the longest time, did that close down?

I remember that picture when I was a kid in the '70's, 'Arturo Taverna, he knows what you want' ads on TV

That ad looks straight out of 1978 but there's a cell phone number so it can't be! I remember that Arturo Taverna had a big shop on Currie St. for the longest time, did that close down?

Yep closed years ago. He's still going - making millions from wholesaling product including exports. Still wears a wig too

Great resource - thanks for posting.

Oh to have been a bank depositor. Interest rates, according to Canberra Toyota, they were being slashed to 17.5 %

View attachment 61616

I had money invested for 6 months at about 18% in 1988 ... then bought a house and my mortgage was 18% ... ugh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The PAFC has just released the DVD, ONE HISTORY, ONE FUTURE, ONE CLUB.

It's being initially marketed through The Swoopers and covers the Merger and 1990 Bid.

where is it on sale? i feel like this should be bigger news amongst fans?

Wrinkles is a B grade shock jock /media ''amusing'' personality. In the same mould (take the definition of mould anyway you wish) as K.G. Even in K.G's hey day I found him embarrassing.

The VFL had the need and foresight to get the AFL off the ground. The Muppets from the old dynasty didn't have the smarts or the coheeners to move footy forward. The amusing thing to me is these guys still seem to think even had the AFL not been formed, and it was still internal state footy, the SANFL would be thriving! We will never know but I have a inkling it would still be struggling.

Times change, trends change, either you move or you get run over. This mob have done very well from a organisational point of view out of the AFL, but sadly lacking at an individual club level. They can moan and groan and point fingers until the cows come home, when you strip away all the bullshit and ego they have no one to blame but themselves.
Nah.
If the AFL had not been created when it was, Murdoch would have started his own league.

The SANFL had a chance to be part of it from the start, but IIRC they were too greedy. The VFL wasn't that flush at the time, and again iirc the SANFL thought that being more financially stable than the VFL at the time should have given them leverage.
The rest is history.

Who knows, but our main rival in the AFL could have been Norwood, and imo that would have been a good thing.

Nah.
If the AFL had not been created when it was, Murdoch would have started his own league.

The SANFL had a chance to be part of it from the start, but IIRC they were too greedy. The VFL wasn't that flush at the time, and again iirc the SANFL thought that being more financially stable than the VFL at the time should have given them leverage.
The rest is history.

Who knows, but our main rival in the AFL could have been Norwood, and imo that would have been a good thing.
I feel like Norwood would've been a more formidable opponent than the composites. Oh well they can eat their sandwiches and celebrate beating our 2nds.

I feel like Norwood would've been a more formidable opponent than the composites. Oh well they can eat their sandwiches and celebrate beating our 2nds.
As well as getting all warm and fuzzy about attaining the monumental achievement of 5000 members, while we push on towards 70000.....

Nah.

The rest is history.

Norwood would have been great as a rival.

Yep that's the history but had they had the courage and conviction to really move Aussie rules ahead they would have moved to start a national league them selves. People love to sook and complain and judge after the fact, cause its far easier to do that then lead the pack.

Either way, for me personally people like Wrinkles Cornes are an amusement. A reminder of the pettiness of small minded and bitter individuals.

Nah.

The rest is history.

I disagree PAF, the birth of the Crows was imo the best outcome for the vast majority of all South Australians why even some die hard PA supporters were drawn into the welcoming arms of the AFC, never forget all the hype & anticipation we witnessed on that first AFL game against the Hawks & could we forget the back to back premierships of 97/98 within our first eight years, now I doubt Norwood could have had the same impact/success.

Norwood have shown since 1990 that they don't have the ambition or conviction to be an AFL club. They're right where they belong as a medium sized fish in a small pond. They're almost like the Kane Mitchell of football clubs, except at least Kane Mitchell is hardworking and likeable.

I'm happier with the Port/Crows dichotomy. You couldn't get two more diametrically opposed football clubs. That's what makes it a great rivalry.

Last edited:
Us against the rest. The way it should be.

I disagree PAF, the birth of the Crows was imo the best outcome for the vast majority of all South Australians why even some die hard PA supporters were drawn into the welcoming arms of the AFC, never forget all the hype & anticipation we witnessed on that first AFL game against the Hawks & could we forget the back to back premierships of 97/98 within our first eight years, now I doubt Norwood could have had the same impact/success.
Sorry noddy but I 100% disagree with that because I'm looking at it from a very different context.
I wasn't talking about Norwood being in there instead of the Crows, that is a very different debate.

IMO if the SANFL had played it's cards right at the time there was talk about Murdoch wanting to set up a 'Super League', the current make up of the AFL would be more national and less Vic centric/dominated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back