Opinion Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows

Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There was sorta something going on with Richmond at one point but it tapered off when we went to s**t & they soared into greatness.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
There have been some intense periods between the Port and Richmond.

In 1997 we went into Rd 6 game as favourites for the first time in our short AFL history after winning our previous 3 games, Geelong, the crows and Brisbane, the last 2 in tight games, and surprisingly we belted you by 11 goals at Footy Park and then you belted us by 14 goals at MCG 15 weeks later. Nothing too intense to start.

2 years after that there was a game at Footy Park that started off in drizzle and ended in pouring rain for all the 2nd half, the game was a slug fest, we won 4.8 v 3.12, which was our lowest score until another game in the pouring rain in Rd 10 2010 at Footy Park when you kept us to 3.12, won by 40+pts, it was Dimma's first win as a coach after 9 losses and you spoiled our 140th birthday celebration. We had started the year promisingly at 5-2 but Tredrea did his ankle in that 7th game where we beat Essendon by a goal, it was his last ever game, we lost the next 2 and the loss to Richmond set the rot in that saw us lose 9 straight and Williams was forced to walk away. He was really sacked but the club made it untenable for him to continue. The Rd 22 game in 2010 was a lot better, but Port lost by a couple of goals after leading by 5 goals at 3/4 time. Typical Port in those 2008-12 years. Edit my bad, Port won that Rd 22 2010 game by a couple goals not lost it but Richmond kicked 7 in the last quarter after Port lead by 5 at quarter time.

The 2 years before that there were 2 really tight games at Footy Park, 2008 shootout in Rd 13, both sides had only won 4 or 5 games, 19 goals v 20, you won by 4 pts and Motlop kicked 6 for us and Cleve Hughes - another spud that tore us apart between 2008-12 years also kicked 6. The next year was the Tredrea game where he kicked the goal to put us in front by 3 pts, then went and sat behind the ball at CHB after the restart and took the match saving pack mark.

The 2012 draw in Rd 22, we had sacked Primus and played Ok under Hocking but hadn't won anything and you had continued to improve had won about 10 games and a win would have meant a 9th or 10th finish, was a pretty decent game to watch

The 2014 elimination final was intense for us and we got to play our first home final in 7 years, the BS of being forced to wear a clash jumper at home that resulted in us wearing the PBs and our electric start..

The last 4 years has been reasonably intense, the last 3 games have been bloody intense, overall 7 games and 5 of them won by 14 pts or less since 2017.

I've created a thread over on the Richmond board in regards to this topic.

Interesting to see how Richmond supporters view the Tigers/Crows and Tigers/Power rivalries as well as seeing which rivalry is bigger out of the two in the eyes of Tigers supporters.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
There was sorta something going on with Richmond at one point but it tapered off when we went to sh*t & they soared into greatness.

Thread over on the Richmond board asking which rivalry is bigger out of Tigers/Crows and Tigers/Power. It's a complete landslide to the Power and it goes without saying that the Tigers/Crows and Tigers/Power rivalries are like chalk and cheese.

Tigers/Crows matches have always been average spectacles at best and more often than not they've seen the winning team win comfortably. The 2017 grand final is the only Tigers/Crows match anyone remembers and it's only remembered because it was a grand final, as the game itself was an average spectacle at best with the Tigers beating the Crows quite comfortably.

There's more of a case for a Tigers/Giants rivalry than there is for a Tigers/Crows rivalry, because the Giants getting flogged in a grand final by the Tigers alone puts the Tigers/Crows and Tigers/Giants rivalries on a par with one another. After that is when you mention the 2017 preliminary final, the Brett Deledio defection and a couple of Tigers/Giants home and away games which are memorable and were classics.

Tigers/Power matches always seem to be great spectacles with both sides bringing out the best in each other, and dare I say it when I say Tigers/Power matches are the greatest spectacles of football to watch aside from showdowns when it comes to match ups involving the Power. The atmosphere at Tigers/Power games always seems to remind me of showdown atmospheres with how electric and lively they are, and not only do Tigers/Power games always tend to be great spectacles, they often go down to the wire and the game this year between the Tigers/Power where the Power won by two points was just the latest edition when it comes to Tigers/Power games in recent times which have been classics and gone down to the wire, as there's been a fair few in these last five years or so.

Our first finals win wasn't Geelong.

First qualifying final maybe.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Our first ever win in the AFL was against them.

i am a logo

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
Best country in the world
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood for off-field reasons, although if you're talking on-field events then the biggest rivalry would have been with the Brisbane Lions during 2001-2004.

The old Lions rivalry to me is like a precursor to West Coast and Sydney's rivalry. The Eagles still viewed Fremantle as their main rival similar to how Port viewed the Crows as their main one, but the Swans and Lions both didn't have legitimate cross town rivals back then. You could argue that the Lions and Port have somewhat of a shared history, since the current AFL incarnations of both teams started out in 1997, and since they both rose to the top of the AFL in 2001, before tumbling down the ladder in 2005. Some Fitzroy fans who still follow the Brisbane Lions might also have a chip on their shoulder about Port, since they essentially were the team replacing Fitzroy in the AFL.

Port have met Geelong in a lot of finals, but you can't pinpoint this rivalry down to any specific kind of period like 2001-2004.

And the rivalry with West Coast is no more significant than the mini-rivalry the Eagles had with Adelaide back in the mid-2000s, since it hasn't resulted in a Grand Final or anything.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I've noticed there's only been three seasons (1998, 2011 and 2014) where the Power/Tigers haven't been fixtured to play each other in Adelaide during the home and away season.

Does anyone know whether or not there's a reason behind this, or if it's just sheer coincidence?

I've noticed there's only been three seasons (1998, 2011 and 2014) where the Power/Tigers haven't been fixtured to play each other in Adelaide during the home and away season.

Does anyone know whether or not there's a reason behind this, or if it's just sheer coincidence?
MCG tenants want as minimimal home games there against non Vic sides, crowd and stadium yield reasons, whereas for Port, Richmond is one of the preffered Vic sides to play at home for crowd drawimg and TV audience potential.

So if the 2 clubs dont complain to the AFL, they tend to rinse and repeat anomolies in the fixture.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
MCG tenants want as minimimal home games there against non Vic sides, crowd and stadium yield reasons, whereas for Port, Richmond is one of the preffered Vic sides to play at home for crowd drawimg and TV audience potential.

So if the 2 clubs dont complain to the AFL, they tend to rinse and repeat anomolies in the fixture.

I've found Power/Tigers games in Adelaide to be second only to Showdowns when it comes to atmosphere, heat between both sides and the high quality of football both sides always tend to bring whenever these match ups are played.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Good to see there's two Power/Tigers games fixtured for next season.

I believe with a quality game in Melbourne next year which happens to match the quality of the annual Power/Tigers games in Adelaide the media might start to take notice and give the rivalry the recognition it deserves.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Troy Chaplin was right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the two Power/Tigers games in 2022 broadcast on free to air nation wide?
Nobody knows. The draw and TV broadcast schedule is done to end of Rd 9 and they clash in rds 13 and 21.

Jan 1, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Brisbane quite easily.

When we play them in a final again it'll serve as a timely reminder that our rivalry with Brisbane is not only real, but it's reciprocated and runs two ways.

Brisbane supporters hate us as much as we hate Brisbane.

Jan 5, 2022
south of the south in the south of South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The lions rivalry was a thing of its time but nothing to write in home about nowadays, despite both teams rising up the ladder again we haven't beaten them since 2018, which is actually our longest ongoing winning drought out of all the 18 teams at the moment.

The pies rivalry is more off field than on field although every now and then we get into an arm wrestle with them, and don't really get to play them at home much anymore, probably because Eddie and Swan are still to coward to show their faces in a Port crowd.

Geelong like to laugh at us, although I must admit, beating them in 2 consecutive home QFs has helped even the ledger ever so slightly. And hopefully we can beat them at Kardinia Park again soon to end our drought at the venue and continue to compensate for the one sided odds.

West Coast is a recent one, although I'm sure they would've felt the same a decade ago after we beat them in the 07 QF and again in 2013 in a Kane Cornes 250th ANZAC weekend game after being 41 points down. Haven't beaten them at home since unfortunately, they've still got a monster record at the Adelaide Oval, one I'd like us to fix soon. The way I see it though it hasn't been super massive post the 2017 EF, sure they beat us after the siren again next year, but that was only after getting plagued with injuries towards the end of the game. The entire ledger has favoured the away team mostly. Although our Optus stadium form needs to improve somewhat.

Yeah no for me personally? I'm voting for Richmond. Super underrated rivalry and arguably one of the best rivalries of the past decade, even when the matches aren't close they usually have some kind of contextual significance. It's evolved immensely since the late 2000s and early 2010s, from Tredders match winner, the trades with Shultz and Chaplin, the MCG draw at the death of 12, the EF smashing if 14, Kane Cornes send off in 15, and literally every match in the past five years, it deserves more attention from the media as not only our best rivalry but the best rivalry of the last decade as well.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I'm voting for Richmond. Super underrated rivalry and arguably one of the best rivalries of the past decade, even when the matches aren't close they usually have some kind of contextual significance. It's evolved immensely since the late 2000s and early 2010s, from Tredders match winner, the trades with Shultz and Chaplin, the MCG draw at the death of 12, the EF smashing if 14, Kane Cornes send off in 15, and literally every match in the past five years, it deserves more attention from the media as not only our best rivalry but the best rivalry of the last decade as well.

Ben Cousins last game was a classic as well.

Back