Opinion Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows

Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm honestly pretty shocked by this.

I would have thought they would have Collingwood, Sydney and Fremantle miles above anybody else.

We often beat West Coast in WA (and vice versa). I can see how this would foster hatred of each team; coughing up home losses to perceived 'bogie sides' is one of the most frustrating things as a fan. See below (excluding the Metricon game), the away team has won 8 of the last 10 games.

2021R3West Coast5.410.713.816.12(108)dftdPort Adelaide1.12.36.311.5(71)Optus StadiumApr 3 (Sat 8:10pm)
2020R4Port Adelaide4.46.710.1113.11(89)dftdWest Coast1.22.45.46.5(41)Metricon StadiumJun 27 (Sat 1:45pm)
2019R5West Coast1.12.25.38.5(53)lost toPort Adelaide3.59.912.1213.17(95)Optus StadiumApr 19 (Fri 8:10pm)
2018R21Port Adelaide5.16.29.29.4(58)lost toWest Coast1.13.26.59.8(62)Adelaide OvalAug 11 (Sat 4:35pm)
2018R7West Coast4.19.313.416.6(102)dftdPort Adelaide2.13.28.29.6(60)Optus StadiumMay 5 (Sat 4:35pm)
2017EFPort Adelaide1.05.56.810.16(76)lost toWest Coast4.27.47.512.6(78)Adelaide OvalSep 9 (Sat 7:50pm)
2017R16West Coast4.47.710.813.10(88)lost toPort Adelaide4.06.210.818.12(120)Domain StadiumJul 9 (Sun 4:40pm)
2017R7Port Adelaide2.35.77.1312.15(87)lost toWest Coast4.17.312.415.7(97)Adelaide OvalMay 6 (Sat 4:35pm)
2016R9Port Adelaide3.15.39.613.8(86)lost toWest Coast5.29.412.714.10(94)Adelaide OvalMay 21 (Sat 4:35pm)
2015R6Port Adelaide3.47.68.610.8(68)lost toWest Coast3.44.78.1111.12(78)Adelaide OvalMay 10 (Sun 4:40pm)
2014R5West Coast2.55.86.127.14(56)lost toPort Adelaide3.55.67.710.10(70)Patersons StadiumApr 19 (Sat 7:40pm)

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I'm honestly pretty shocked by this.

I would have thought they would have Collingwood, Sydney and Fremantle miles above anybody else.

They have Fremantle as their clear number one rivalry which is of no surprise.

Collingwood, Essendon and Sydney rivalries have all been acknowledged and explained on the Eagles board and then you'd have Port Adelaide after those clubs in terms of acknowledging rivalry with them.

West Coast board have acknowledged it and the Brisbane board consider the Power to be their second biggest rivalry after Collingwood.

They have Fremantle as their clear number one rivalry which is of no surprise.

Collingwood, Essendon and Sydney rivalries have all been acknowledged and explained on the Eagles board and then you'd have Port Adelaide after those clubs in terms of acknowledging rivalry with them.

I guess I haven't thought of the Port v WCE clashes as a rivalry because both sides have smashed each other half a dozen sides, 5 out of 6 times at their home venue and I contrast that to the Sydney rivalry which had that amazing run of something like 9 out of 10 games were margins of 12 pts or less.

The WCE v Collingwood is a big rivalry both on the field and a battle of the biggest football entity in the AFL vs biggest commercial entity in the AFL with both fans having a massive supporter base and turning up for those games.

But Port and WCE have had a lot of close battles as well, both sides have won half a dozen games by 14 pts or less and there have been some real get out of jail results for both sides.

Port are the only team to have a 50%+ win record in Perth vs WCE with an 9-8 record. Next best for WCE home games is Freo 11-15 (but trail overall 21-32) and then Geelong 9-14. Port has a 9-7 record in SA in home and away and 1-1 in finals both games in SA for 10-8, 1-0 in Qld neutral venue and our 20-16 overall record is the 2nd best overall against WCE only behind Sydney's 31-22 record against them.

Whilst our overall record in SA v WCE is 11-8 (inc finals) our record at AO is 0-5 (inc 2017 final) and every loss at AO has been by 10 pts or less with the last 2 after the siren. That makes it all, worthy of a decent rivalry.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
So, King Cold, of the 4 we listed, 2 would be actual rivalries: Lions and Eagles.

Collingwood and Geelong not considered to be rivalries?

I guess I haven't thought of the Port v WCE clashes as a rivalry because both sides have smashed each other half a dozen sides, 5 out of 6 times at their home venue and I contrast that to the Sydney rivalry which had that amazing run of something like 9 out of 10 games were margins of 12 pts or less.

The WCE v Collingwood is a big rivalry both on the field and a battle of the biggest football entity in the AFL vs biggest commercial entity in the AFL with both fans having a massive supporter base and turning up for those games.

But Port and WCE have had a lot of close battles as well, both sides have won half a dozen games by 14 pts or less and there have been some real get out of jail results for both sides.

Port are the only team to have a 50%+ win record in Perth vs WCE with an 9-8 record. Next best for WCE home games is Freo 11-15 (but trail overall 21-32) and then Geelong 9-14. Port has a 9-7 record in SA in home and away and 1-1 in finals both games in SA for 10-8, 1-0 in Qld neutral venue and our 20-16 overall record is the 2nd best overall against WCE only behind Sydney's 31-22 record against them.

Whilst our overall record in SA v WCE is 11-8 (inc finals) our record at AO is 0-5 (inc 2017 final) and every loss at AO has been by 10 pts or less with the last 2 after the siren. That makes it all, worthy of a decent rivalry.

To be fair the Eagles/Power rivalry tends to be behind Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon from a West Coast point of view while being behind Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and Geelong from a Port Adelaide point of view.

Also I've noticed on the Adelaide board the general consensus over there is Richmond is their biggest rival aside from the Power, but which would you consider to be a bigger rivalry?

Power/Tigers or Crows/Tigers?

Would you consider Power/Tigers to be a rivalry?
There's been a few notable games the last decade, 2 point win this season, the prelim last season, the round 11 game last season I'd consider match of the year, the 2014 Prison Bar elim final, the chaplain game, the drawn game where ebert got robbed of a goal, the poor 140 year anniversary game in 2010, the tredders goal and game saving mark in 2009.

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like beating Carlton for two reasons...from memory Hinkleys rot started with a loss to Carlton in 2015 away when Port were expected to be a good team and Carlton weren't that good from memory.
Secondly Carlton have ties to the Italian Community which reminds me of the old National Soccer League where clubs had cultural links to specific ethnicities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I struggle with the idea that Collingwood are utterly obsessed with us, hate us, but dont see us as a rival? They literally encouraged assault at our last game.

If anything its Port who care less about them.

Question from King Cold was slightly different over there.

Collingwood Rival Thread.PNG

The question should have been outside of the Big-4. Essendon, Richmond, and Carlton shouldn't count. Those are given.

I would add, it might be necessary to do two questions for Victorian clubs: one for Vic clubs (but the Big-4), and another, for "interstaters." If you want to add the Big-4, then, there should be three questions.

For the 8 ex-Vic clubs, the question is simple. They should be all like ours: "biggest rival outside your club's homestate".

Then, it becomes something like Tinder. If there's a match, then there's rivalry. The stronger the match, the stronger the rivalry.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think they're just delusional.

You don't obsess over a club so much in games you aren't even involved in if they aren't a rival. That Pie fans try to deny it is probably an even bigger statement.
I haven’t read the thread, but the question is not well put.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Question from King Cold was slightly different over there.

The question should have been outside of the Big-4. Essendon, Richmond, and Carlton shouldn't count. Those are given.

I would add, it might be necessary to do two questions for Victorian clubs: one for Vic clubs, and another, for "interstaters." If you want to add the Big-4, then, there should three.

For the 8 ex-Vic clubs, the question is simple. They should be all like ours: "biggest rival outside your club's homestate".

Then, it becomes something like Tinder. If there's a match, then there's rivalry. The stronger the match, the stronger the rivalry.

Firstly that's not one of my threads it's a thread made by someone else.

Secondly that thread is from 2014 which was a long time ago.

Thirdly it goes without saying that Collingwood's biggest interstate rival is either Brisbane, Port Adelaide or West Coast.

Lastly should I make a poll on the Collingwood board asking the question as to which interstate club is Collingwood's biggest rival?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Firstly that's not one of my threads it's a thread made by someone else.

Secondly that thread is from 2014 which was a long time ago.

Thirdly it goes without saying that Collingwood's biggest interstate rival is either Brisbane, Port Adelaide or West Coast.

Lastly should I make a poll on the Collingwood board asking the question as to which interstate club is Collingwood's biggest rival?

😱

Why did it appear in my search for your threads? 🤔

Chief, what happened?

I like beating Carlton for two reasons...from memory Hinkleys rot started with a loss to Carlton in 2015 away when Port were expected to be a good team and Carlton weren't that good from memory.
Secondly Carlton have ties to the Italian Community which reminds me of the old National Soccer League where clubs had cultural links to specific ethnicities.
Carlton ended that season as wooden spooners. We were royally ****ed by the umps in a once in a generational performance from them (so much so there was a lowlights vid made of it) but it really shouldn't have come to that. We also lost agme to 17th placed Brisbane and missed finals by a game, despite having a higher percentage than 8th placed North who ended up making a prelim from there. A real what could have been moment...

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
should I make a poll on the Collingwood board asking the question as to which interstate club is Collingwood's biggest rival?

As I have said before,I think you should do a thread like this one for all the clubs:

I would add, it might be necessary to do two questions for Victorian clubs: one for Vic clubs (but the Big-4), and another, for "interstaters." If you want to add the Big-4, then, there should be three questions.

King Cold, do you have the actual links for your threads?

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
As I have said before,I think you should do a thread like this one for all the clubs:

King Cold, do you have the actual links for your threads?

I've made a thread over on the Crows board asking which club their biggest rival is aside from the Power.

It'd be safe to suggest the Crows/Bulldogs rivalry is Adelaide's biggest rivalry aside from the Crows/Power rivalry while Power/Magpies is Port Adelaide's biggest rivalry aside from the Power/Crows rivalry.

Which rivalry is Port Adelaide's biggest aside from the Power/Crows rivalry?

Power/Lions?
Power/Cats?
Power/Tigers?
Power/Eagles?

I dislike Eagles because of the blatant cheating that was celebrated in the EF win against us. Other than this, I don’t see a rivalry there.

With Lions and Tigers we have a good competitive rivalry, where both teams seem to find an extra gear when we play them. Some very memorable games against us and a mostly respectful history.

With the Cats there just seems to be a different level of spite between us. Regardless of what Cats supporters say, I think it’s evident that Geelong takes games against Port very seriously. Geelong we’re our first win in the AFL. Port were Geelong’s bunnies in their first premiership in 43years in a record margin. Port currently have a winning record in finals against Geelong. The Patrick Dangerfield influence.

For mine, this is the biggest rivalry outside of the Crows.

Back