Opinion Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows

Port Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Crows?

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Exactly. Everybody wants to be Collingwood's rival. Not really sure why. It's actually ******* stupid. It feeds into their overblown mystique and self importance. They've won 2 flags in 63 years. Given the leg ups they get, that is a shitful record and not worthy of any special cionsideration. Too many people fall for the narrative. They really aren't anything special. As I said earlier, it is a pointless rivalry for us. We are so far down the line for them it is just wasted energy.

Mcguire is the enemy, not Collingwood.
Even if we were front and centre in their thoughts 24/7 it'd still be a largely pointless rivalry for us. Outside of us ******* up the 2002 Qualifying final, which was mostly self-inflicted, it's not like they've smashed us in big games or made us their bitches like North our first ten years, or Geelong from the 2007 GF onwards. I'd be going more with the opinion of those that between our SANFL inflicted terminal stage from 2008-2012 and Kennified mediocrity since, that we haven't had teams capable of building real rivalries for almost a decade and a half. That's depressing, as a real rivalry (not the artificial 'divides the state down the centre!!!' bullshit of Showdowns), makes those games against your rival mean all that more.

Lol What? I despise Eddie and the whole Collingwood Prison bars bullshit, but outside that they'd barely know or care we exist. Even that it's a periodic 'we own black & white', then back to normal (for them).

doesn't matter about "outside that", the "that" is a massive thorn in their side that quickly showed how fragile their identity is, to the entire country no less. they made a hysterical song and dance about our guernsey because it creates legitimate brand identity issues for them. we went through this all through last season, i thought we could all tell, we were all commenting on it and laughing at them, the country was siding with us, it just makes them look small time arguing about what should be such a trivial non-issue and us seem big for wanting to pay respect to our past. they legitimately wish we didn't exist because our superior history and uniform is widely acknowledged as better across the land which again dilutes how people perceive them. like i said it's a kind of rivalry that transcends the usual AFL rivalry formula

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why? SANFL is basically glorified country footy in 2021.
Yeah, a real Port v Norwood rivalry in the AFL if it’s been us in first and then in 1997 would have bettered any of the artificial Port v Crows stuff, but Norwood chose cowardice and (like all SANFL clubs) is now just a pitiful shell of what they once were. Even that will be considered good in 20 years when all those who went along pre-AFL and stuck seeing them have died.

Prior to the Lions rivalry culminating in 2004 we probably had a little something going with the Bombers too. There were a lot of players that crossed over from both teams - Wanganeen, Kingsley, Cockatoo-Collins, Hardwick, Cummings - and there was the Choco link too. We played some pretty fierce games against Essendon during the late 90s and early 2000s.

Having said that it has to be Collingwood - this rivalry pre-dates our entry to the AFL.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We seem to have more fisticuff with GWS than other teams as well for some reason, or am I imagining that?
My memories of playing GWS are more 'Lets ignore all their 195cm plus players and go small!', then watch them outmark our undersized defense at one end and wrack up record rebound marks at the other. #jakeneadeff

Yeah, a real Port v Norwood rivalry in the AFL if it’s been us in first and then in 1997 would have bettered any of the artificial Port v Crows stuff, but Norwood chose cowardice and (like all SANFL clubs) is now just a pitiful shell of what they once were. Even that will be considered good in 20 years when all those who went along pre-AFL and stuck seeing them have died.
If Port and Norwood both said they want in, in 1990, then the SANFL would not have had a leg to stand on. No byes for the AFL, 2 lots of licence fees, the biggest footy rivalry outside the VFL gets transplanted into the AFL and a bigger chunk of SANFL's history is preserved on the national stage. When Port play Norwood it wouldn't be showdown 50 it would be - and meeting for the 345th time in over 140 years, with a record of X vs Y in the SANFL and A vs B in the AFL, the tradition and one of the longest and fiercest rivalry in sports continues.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We'd love to have a Toby Greene type of player..

A guy who gets himself suspended for the most important game of the year? No.

He's a great player but he's almost got to the point of becoming a liability because he can't control himself. Needs to sort it out pronto.

Back