News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

From 29 June 2017 story
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players
TWO Port Adelaide Next Gen Academy members have been approved for talent concessions by the AFL. Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick are members of Port Adelaide’s Multicultural and Aboriginal Next Gen Academy and will be eligible to be bid upon in the draft by Port Adelaide once age-eligible.

The duo are members of the South Australian Under-17 State Futures squad and played in last Saturday’s win over WA. “Kai and Martin are working closely with our Academy coach Shaun Hart and the rest of our footy program within our Next Gen structure,” SANFL and Next Generation Academy manager Shane Grimm told portadelaidefc.com.au. “Our programs are designed to better prepare these guys for AFL football by developing their elite standards. “Being able to nominate two players from culturally diverse backgrounds like Kai and Martin is not only good for them and the club, but the game, because it means we can expand our reach into multicultural communities further.”.....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players

And here they are and have been involved in preseason training - as discussed in one of Power Pete's training photos thread. Kai is of Japanese background and Martin of Sudanese heritage. Martin smiled when talking about being cleaned up by Tom Jonas.

Last edited:
What the heck is going on with Stuey Cochrane's hair? You can take the boy out of Lizbeff ...

What the heck is going on with Stuey Cochrane's hair? You can take the boy out of Lizbeff ...
When he gave Byron his 1999 GF jumper for his 40th back in August last year the pony tail length had been achieved.

I've previously written that when I first moved back to Adelaide 7 years ago and intially lived with my sister in the western suburbs, I was staggered at the number and height of the Sudanese and African kids I saw walk the streets and then occasionally watch them play sport and their athleticism. I just didnt get that appreciation when I came back for Christmas or a week here or there and spent all my time with family and friends.

I thought if Port could grab one of those guys and turn him into an AFL player we, would get the whole community behind him and us, because he would become their champion and the one to aspire to be like. Hopefully Martin Fredrick is good enough to make it and maybe be that champion. The multicultual stuff the AFL did first under David Rodan and Alipate ambassadorship and then later programs would gave had some impact.

It happens everywhere around Oz or the world where large immigration happens. Majak Daw would have had some impact in Melbourne. Hopefully a few others make it say in soccer, basketball, teaching, the law etc and it helps with the integration process.

I've previously written that when I first moved back to Adelaide 7 years ago and intially lived with my sister in the western suburbs, I was staggered at the number and height of the Sudanese and African kids I saw walk the streets and then occasionally watch them play sport and their athleticism. I just didnt get that appreciation when I came back for Christmas or a week here or there and spent all my time with family and friends.

I thought if Port could grab one of those guys and turn him into an AFL player we, would get the whole community behind him and us, because he would become their champion and the one to aspire to be like. Hopefully Martin Fredrick is good enough to make it and maybe be that champion. The multicultual stuff the AFL did first under David Rodan and Alipate ambassadorship and then later programs would gave had some impact.

It happens everywhere around Oz or the world where large immigration happens. Majak Daw would have had some impact in Melbourne. Hopefully a few others make it say in soccer, basketball, teaching, the law etc and it helps with the integration process.

A marginal prospect (though he did hit some decent form later in 2017), but I we also have Irra as a potential ambassador - not so much the stereotypical prototype of African's in the AFL with his attributes of being small, compact and powerful vs tall, lean with an explosive leap.

Majak Daw doesn't seem to have had that much influence. African gang violence there is worsening, not getting better.

Grundog has a list of 40 Prospects To Watch on the Draft and Trading board. Kai Pudney is among the 30 or so boys on the "Unlucky to Miss Out" list. That means he's very much on the radar for November. There's also another Atley coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A marginal prospect (though he did hit some decent form later in 2017), but I we also have Irra as a potential ambassador - not so much the stereotypical prototype of African's in the AFL with his attributes of being small, compact and powerful vs tall, lean with an explosive leap.
There isn't a big Ugandan community in SA like the Sudanese community.

Grundog has a list of 40 Prospects To Watch on the Draft and Trading board. Kai Pudney is among the 30 or so boys on the "Unlucky to Miss Out" list. That means he's very much on the radar for November. There's also another Atley coming through.
If both these kids are doing a full preseason, obviously not a a full work load but at the club for all of the preseason, then that means the club is interested in both kids to a serious level. Doesn't mean its a lock for the club to draft them but at least their names would be up on the white board.

Majak Daw doesn't seem to have had that much influence. African gang violence there is worsening, not getting better.
I agree on your first point, but definitely not the latter. I live in Melbourne and the African gang violence stuff is a MASSIVE beat-up, mostly originating from conservative NSW-based politicians with agendas. The stats simply don't add up to it being a significant issue. It does s**t me though that the incidents that have occurred were perpetrated by people who were born in Australia after their parents migrated from African countries. Those perpetrators weren't born into a war-torn lifestyle where they only know 1 thing and therefore their acts could be attributed to some kind of psychological affliction.

Anyway. Ceasing political discussion now...

WEST Australian and South Australian clubs have put forward a proposal to the AFL for them to gain priority access to the leading indigenous talents from metropolitan zones in their Next Generation Academies.

The NGA program for West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide has allocated each of the four clubs rural and remote regions where they can develop indigenous prospects and then have first call on those players at draft time under the father-son and Academy bidding system.

However, AFL.com.au understands the League has been approached and a presentation put forward for each state's metropolitan and city areas to be halved so more players fall into their catchments.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-26/wa-sa-clubs-make-play-for-indigenous-talent

WEST Australian and South Australian clubs have put forward a proposal to the AFL for them to gain priority access to the leading indigenous talents from metropolitan zones in their Next Generation Academies.

The NGA program for West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide has allocated each of the four clubs rural and remote regions where they can develop indigenous prospects and then have first call on those players at draft time under the father-son and Academy bidding system.

However, AFL.com.au understands the League has been approached and a presentation put forward for each state's metropolitan and city areas to be halved so more players fall into their catchments.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-26/wa-sa-clubs-make-play-for-indigenous-talent
Further from that article
The NGA has been developed by the AFL to increase the talent pool of indigenous and multicultural players, with each club (outside of NSW/ACT and Queensland clubs who already have their own Academies) given an area to run Academy programs and develop players.

Players of multicultural backgrounds who live in metropolitan areas and meet the relevant criteria are already eligible to the SA and WA clubs, but not indigenous players

I didn't realise the aboriginal lads weren't eligible. Makes sense now why we have got approval for concessions for Kai Pudney - Japanese heritage and and Martin Frederick - Sudanese background.

* Victorian clubs get access to indigenous kids but we don't. How the bloody hell does that work???? I wasn't completely oblivious to this distinction. How the * did we let this thru without blowing up about it?? Plus the crows, freo and eagles not cracking the shits about it.

This is in contrast to the Victorian clubs, who have access to multicultural and indigenous players within their zones even if they live in metropolitan areas, a difference that the proposal makes clear to the AFL.

Including the indigenous players in the zones could be significant. For instance, if the metropolitan areas were included for 2018, two of this year's leading draft hopefuls, Ian Hill and Izak Rankine, would fall into indigenous zones in their respective states.

**** Victorian clubs get access to indigenous kids but we don't. How the bloody hell does that work???? I wasn't completely oblivious to this distinction. How the **** did we let this thru without blowing up about it?? Plus the crows, freo and eagles not cracking the shits about it.

This is in contrast to the Victorian clubs, who have access to multicultural and indigenous players within their zones even if they live in metropolitan areas, a difference that the proposal makes clear to the AFL.

Including the indigenous players in the zones could be significant. For instance, if the metropolitan areas were included for 2018, two of this year's leading draft hopefuls, Ian Hill and Izak Rankine, would fall into indigenous zones in their respective states.

That's pretty outrageous, particularly if it's potentially cost us rights to Izak Rankine (who will be a gun). West Adelaide is part of our metro zone right?

Some nice stats from our Eagles boys.

K H D M TK FF FA Ho I50 R50 G.B DT
36 K Pudney 18 17 35 11 1 2 0 0 4 4 0.0 127
29 K Pickett 12 14 26 5 1 1 1 0 3 1 0.1 82
31 M Frederick 11 12 23 5 3 1 1 0 5 2 1.0 88
14 J Mead 11 8 19 4 2 0 4 0 4 0 1.2 65
3 T Burgoyne 7 8 15 4 2 1 2 0 3 0 1.1 59

Some nice stats from our Eagles boys.

..................... K H D M TK FF FA Ho I50 R50 G.B DT
36 K Pudney 18 17 35 11 1 2 0 0.... 4 4 0.0 127
Ball magnet stuff. He got a few 30+ last year. I ve read a bit around the place on the draft board on him. Looks like he is that top 10-15 range of the SA prospects. So that is probably pick 50 thru to top 20 in the rookie draft.

Last edited:
Story on the club website just confirming our two NGA players available in this year's draft have made the U/18 state squad plus Darren Mead's son Jackson.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-05-25/academy-talent-chosen-for-u18-state-team
THREE Port Adelaide academy players have been chosen in the 42-man state under 18 squad to represent South Australia at the 2018 NAB National Championships. Next Generation Academy players Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick, both 18, caught the eye of state selectors along with Father/Son Academy member Jackson Mead, son of inaugural John Cahill Medallist Darren Mead. Port Adelaide's SANFL and Next Generation Academy Manager Shane Grimm congratulated the talented youngsters, who each play their club football for Woodville-West Torrens. “Kai and Marty have both played reserves with the Eagles as well as playing in the Under 18s and they’ve both performed very well,” Grimm said. “Marty’s been playing as a wing-half back and he’s excelled. “Last year he was a more stay at home lock-down defender but this year he’s starting to take the game on a lot more and that’s taken the eye of the state selectors. “Kai they’ve been playing as a mid and on the wing but they’re also trying him down back now. “He’s regularly the leading possession getter in the games he plays and he’s such a hard runner. “We’ve noticed a huge improvement in those two guys because they did spend some of the pre-season training with us.”
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-05-25/academy-talent-chosen-for-u18-state-team

Story in today's Tsier

Port's Hidden Gems Coming in the Draft

PORT Adelaide has a draft ace up its sleeve, with Next Generation Academies prospect Martin Frederick compared to Western Bulldogs Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen. Woodville-West Torrens coach Michael Godden, who has overseen Frederick’s development at the Eagles, says the Power could grab a draft bargain because of the South Sudanese teenager’s rapid development.

“Marty is making really good progress and has become that Johannisen type, that explosive player off half-back,’’ Godden said. “He's powerful and exciting and has been really good in some reserves games for us this year. “I was watching that Allies game (against South Australia’s under-18s at the national championships) and he broke out from the back half twice and I just thought to myself ‘well, he’s drafted’, just from those couple of motions. “He’s a powerful athlete and while he’s progressing really well he's still got a lot to learn, so there’s a lot of upside there. I think he will be a fine AFL player.’’......... Frederick, 18, is one of two SA under-18 players in Port’s Multicultural and indigenous Next Generation Academies. His Eagles teammate Kai Pudney — a prolific ballwinning midfielder — is the other. He also is in draft contention. “Kai accumulates a lot of the ball,’’ Godden said. “We are still working on some of his execution but he’s an outstanding young man and he works so hard that he gives himself a chance (to be drafted).’’
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/97f7a4d679c0471027c3110394d530c2

How the rules work
Under AFL rules, Port is in the box seat to draft the pair. As members of its NGA program, the Power gets the final call on them. Much like the father-son rule, if a club selects a player at the draft Port can match a bid by using available points from other draft picks. And if an NGA player isn’t called at the draft, the Power can get him cheap as a category B rookie, like it did with former South Adelaide midfielder Emmanuel Irra two years ago. While Frederick — tipped to be a third or fourth-round draft prospect — is of South Sudanese heritage, Pudney has a Japanese background. Frederick’s draft prospects went through the roof during SA’s under-18 championships winning campaign. He enjoyed a strong carnival and was among the Croweaters' best in the decider against Vic Metro with his powerful run and carry from defence. Frederick and Pudney, also 18, trained with the Power in the pre-season and apart from the physical aspect of training were involved in leadership meetings and weights sessions. Port’s SANFL and Next Generation Academies manager Shane Grimm said the club had been pleased with the pair's development. “They spent a fair bit of time with us in the pre-season and their development has continued through the Eagles and State under-18 program,’’ Grimm said. “It would be great for us to get a look at these guys playing for us in the SANFL, as the rules allow for in other states, but they will do some further training with us for the remainder of the season. “It would be a fantastic step for them both to end up on the Port Adelaide Football Club’s AFL list but if and how that happens will be determined closer to the AFL trade period and draft.’’ Frederick said he aspires to play AFL and wants to be a “role model’’ for multicultural kids. “To show kids of any background that they can make it, would be really special for me,” he said.

d90a2b4e49be812f7f35ae4d75028270

673e8400d0a0fea9c6d6c6c050fb19b9
90d35831ec7f148d294844bf85317d3d

Martin Frederick in action for South Australia during the match against Victoria Metro during the NAB AFL U18 Championships at Etihad Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Andy Brownbill
Kai Pudney makes a tackle against Vic Country at Adelaide Oval during the NAB AFL U18 Championships. Picture: AAP Image/Russell Millard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back