Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

All Australian
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes I'm sure that Brisbane gave permission for Gold Coast to use it's colours.
Care to point out the colours they share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice-Wolf

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Care to point out the colours they share?

Red, blue and yellow (and also white).

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
the southport sharks would love to see there jumper in a afl game so would burleigh and broadbeach...it gives the locals a thrill isn't that the point to grow the game.
??
Southport would want their jumper representing them. Why would they want the Suns want to wear it?

That is like Glenelg fans wanting the Power to play a game in a Glenelg jumper just to give Glenelg fans a thrill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackas87

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2011
Kwan-li-so
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Orlando magic
I can see both sides of the argument, and I’m certainly not unsympathetic to Port, but they entered the competition knowing full well that it was a deal breaking condition. So they agreed.
Did Collingwood (ie Eddie) agree to the heritage round deal in bad faith- very probably. He is a slimy piece of dirt, but what can you do unless they revisit the round again? It was, after all, a concession that didn’t need to be offered.
It’s messy but if both sides stop beating their chests about it maybe a rational solution can be found, because I can’t see it going away
Why should Port have conditions on entering the national league? The AFL came from the VFL and simply because they weren’t from Victoria they had to sacrifice. Port Adelaide have a rich history and it deserves to be on the national stage just as much as Collingwood’s.

RandB

Premium Platinum
Sep 9, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC Norwood
Why should Port have conditions on entering the national league? The AFL came from the VFL and simply because they weren’t from Victoria they had to sacrifice. Port Adelaide have a rich history and it deserves to be on the national stage just as much as Collingwood’s.
Sacrifice?
Are you suggesting the AFL should have just had 2 b&w teams knicknamed the Magpies?

AndyD

All Australian
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if serious or just very very stupid?
I do agree I’m stupid for getting into a discussion with a clear troll. Unless you have someway to back up your very very stupid claim that Gold Coast and Brisbane “share the same colours” when they are clearly different when you look at the RGB codes (without worrying about the obvious visual difference anyone with a functioning brain can see)? Although I’m guessing RGB codes are a bit too difficult for your very very simple brain to comprehend

Ice-Wolf

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I do agree I’m stupid for getting into a discussion with a clear troll. Unless you have someway to back up your very very stupid claim that Gold Coast and Brisbane “share the same colours” when they are clearly different when you look at the RGB codes (without worrying about the obvious visual difference anyone with a functioning brain can see)? Although I’m guessing RGB codes are a bit too difficult for your very very simple brain to comprehend
1) Those codes are for their logos, not their jumpers, official colours etc.
2) Nobody gives a sh*t about specific shades down to the 256 RGBs
3) Are the Bulldogs Colours Indigo, Cyan Cobalt Blue, White and Crimson or Blue, White and Red

Now instead of making yourself look like a complete fool you could have started with "but Brisbane are Maroon, Gold and Blue not Red, Gold and Blue like Gold Coast." But no you had to introduce irrelevant bullshit to try and make yourself look smart and knowledgeable.

Stabby McGee

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Coz they agreed. Don’t like it don’t sign. They signed.
it’s not that I think it’s right or fair, but who ever said life is? Don’t like it don’t sign. But what you can’t do is sign then go ummm I didn’t mean it.
As I said I’m not unsympathetic to Port. If Collingwood wanted to join the SANFL coz it had expanded to be the AFL I’d say exactly the same thing to them. You signed it- you own it

edit coz spellcheck hates me and likes to change things for giggles

Last edited:

terrybull

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
that is every across supporter argument.

we had to change our name, entities as part of joining, your argument is illogical and gaslighting so not worth a response
Agree

But also that AFL was just a name change from VFL that was formed 1897.

And Sydney Swans were formed from South Melbourne.

Don’t know why people argue about this all the time. These are the facts and opinions won’t change this...

terrybull

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC

3 of the richest clubs on the planet, all play in the same league, all have a solid red home strip with only a bit of difference on sleeves/collars and other bits. There are also numerous other clubs that have a red strip in English football. All 3 of their home strips are iconic and what they are known for despite them having away and clash strips in different colours.

None of them throw up a fuss that they are the only ones who get to wear red. Even when they have to play other clubs who aren't as big as them in an away game, they have no issues wearing a clash strip.

Collingwood are just being selfish campaigners and insecure about the whole black and white stripes thing. The football traditionalists who don't believe in alternate colours for teams are holding the game back.

It's embarrassing just how backwards thinking the league is at times.

You don't lose your identity by having an alternative colour / strip or by allowing another team to wear similar.
Biggest difference is that the AFL is a closed League.

How many teams are there in Premier League? And then there is relegation/promotion.

Imagine if all clubs in Australia was one League with promotion/relegation.

It would be nigh impossible for not to have teams with the same jumper.

Port and Collingwood don’t have the same jumper and should be allowed in our closed 18-team comp.

Pappagallo

Pinko Brigadier
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Biggest difference is that the AFL is a closed League.

How many teams are there in Premier League? And then there is relegation/promotion.

Imagine if all clubs in Australia was one League with promotion/relegation.

It would be nigh impossible for not to have teams with the same jumper.

Port and Collingwood don’t have the same jumper and should be allowed in our closed 18-team comp.
Those 3 clubs have played together in the same 20 team league continuously for almost 50 years.

Remove this Banner Ad