Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyclonus

Sardonic Wrath
Jun 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think they're similar enough to warrant the uproar. Sure, they'd clash against each other, but so do many jumpers. They have the same colours, but so do many jumpers. If it's about people seeing a team in a black and white jumper and thinking they're Collingwood, one look at the score graphic where it says Port Adelaide will correct that. Collingwood changing their jumper in the early 2000 has made the clash much worse, I think Port's white on black could be a good match up against Collingwood's black on white. Anyway, Port's jumper is better.

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Every supporter group is a rich tapestry.

They're irrelevant to the argument because they hold very unusual views among the supporter base. Every single club has supporters who hold opinions about the club that would be wildly unpopular among the vast majority of the supporter base.
Wouldn't have any Collingwood fans who didn't feel strongly about the BnW stripes...as that is all Collingwood have ever known.

Port Power, you might want to associate with the old Port Magpies, (well some bits anyway) but not everyone does...

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
No, I understand 100%. Port supporters want their SANFL tradition recognised as AFL tradition. Unfortunately Port sold their soul to have a team in the AFL.
It is their clubs history and tradition, that doesn’t get thrown out the window because you move competition. The club will always be the club no matter where they play. Asking a club to disregard their history and what they identify as is just ridiculous.
They know they can’t wear it in the AFL but it doesn’t mean it’s not relevant. Might not mean much to you and I but I am sure it means plenty to Port supporters and so it should. Their history and tradition is as important as any other club in the AFL.

bomberclifford

Importer/Exporter
Sep 2, 2005
Cerebral Cortex
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Wouldn't have any Collingwood fans who didn't feel strongly about the BnW stripes...as that is all Collingwood have ever known.

Port Power, you might want to associate with the old Port Magpies, (well some bits anyway) but not everyone does...
I know Collingwood supporters who dont see a problem with Port wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. Some of them even signed the petition.

Should your club adjust its stance for them?

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

What's your point? There have been plenty of Collingwood supporters in this very thread who have posted saying they aren't fussed and would let us wear the bars. Those people are at least as relevant as Port supporters who just really like teal.

As I said, every club is a rich tapestry. That's happens in any group of hundreds of thousands of people.

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I know Collingwood supporters who dont see a problem with Port wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. Some of them even signed the petition.

Should your club adjust its stance for them?
Plenty of Pies fans would have adopted a soft spot for a fellow Magpie in another competition.

And plenty wouldn't bother watching any games at all that don't involve Collingwood.

The club board is given responsibility of looking after the long term interests of the club itself, they are the ones who are aware of what contracts have been signed and what is worth protecting.

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
So technically the AFL is owned by the WAFC, the Victorian based Clubs and Brisbane as they all own their licenses and every other licence is owned by the AFL.

But due to voting rights being based on the licences the AFL executive is in full control of 5 out of 18 votes that could overturn it's decisions. The WAFC is unlikely to vote to overturn any decision, giving the AFL executive veto power of any challenge if it require 2/3 majority or just 2 vote it it only requires 50/50 requiring all the other license holders to be united. Of course the AFL also holds some clubs by the balls financially, so basically the clubs are screwed.
The league constitution doesnt even give the clubs power to overturn anything that isnt to do with awarding, relocating or removing a license.

sprockets

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It is their clubs history and tradition, that doesn’t get thrown out the window because you move competition. The club will always be the club no matter where they play. Asking a club to disregard their history and what they identify as is just ridiculous.
They know they can’t wear it in the AFL but it doesn’t mean it’s not relevant. Might not mean much to you and I but I am sure it means plenty to Port supporters and so it should. Their history and tradition is as important as any other club in the AFL.
Yep but they're suggesting their tradition in the SANFL is part of AFL tradition. It's not.

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
What's your point? There have been plenty of Collingwood supporters in this very thread who have posted saying they aren't fussed and would let us wear the bars. Those people are at least as relevant as Port supporters who just really like teal.

As I said, every club is a rich tapestry. That's happens in any group of hundreds of thousands of people.
Point is Collingwood have only ever been black n white stripes & Magpies. Collingwood players and fans only ever identify with the BnW stripes.

There are Port premiership heroes like Stuart Dew that actually were playing against the 'Bars and won an SANFL premiership for Centrals when a listed Port player!!

Here is Dew celebrating two premierships whilst a listed AFL Port Adelaide player....where are the 'Bars?

The 'Bars belong with the SANFL Port Magpies...AFL, nup ain't part of the Port AFL identity.

Screenshot_20210506-235657_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210507-001841_Samsung Internet.jpg

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Does Adam Treloar identify with the BnW? Or does he now identify with the tricolours?
Fail.

Considering he is no longer a Collingwood player you would hope he identifies as a Dog.

Roger James, another Port Adelaide champion??

Here is Roger whilst a listed Port Adelaide AFL player celebrating the 1997 SANFL premiership...at least the 'Bars were in that GF!

Screenshot_20210507-005345_Samsung Internet.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jakksynn

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Point is Collingwood have only ever been black n white stripes & Magpies. Collingwood players and fans only ever identify with the BnW stripes.

There are Port premiership heroes like Stuart Dew that actually were playing against the 'Bars and won an SANFL premiership for Centrals when a listed Port player!!

Here is Dew celebrating two premierships whilst a listed AFL Port Adelaide player....where are the 'Bars?

The 'Bars belong with the SANFL Port Magpies...AFL, nup ain't part of the Port AFL identity.

View attachment 1120214
View attachment 1120221
You uhhhh.....you realise sh*t like this with Stewie Dew is exactly why we fought for re-unification? We had teammates training together all week then fronting up against each other in completely different teams. The SANFL forcing the PAMFC into existence when we moved into the AFL really hamstrung us for the best part of a decade.

Wether you like it or not the PBs are a part of our identity and history as a club, and to suggest they aren’t part of our AFL identity when we’ve worn them on half a dozen occasions is a bit close minded.

simba_

ask me how to use this space for advertising
Jun 2, 2009
50XX
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Utah Jazz, mew2king
Fail.

Considering he is no longer a Collingwood player you would hope he identifies as a Dog.

Roger James, another Port Adelaide champion??

Here is Roger whilst a listed Port Adelaide AFL player celebrating the 1997 SANFL premiership...at least the 'Bars were in that GF!

View attachment 1120252
What on earth are you going on about?

Pappagallo

Pinko Brigadier
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For balance here’s the great man suiting up in the Prison Bars as a Port Adelaide listed player.

7E4E179A-0BBA-4637-ADDC-7831BA230360.jpeg

23919CE1-9E20-4D85-869E-333A624F94F9.jpeg

And how’s this for a bonus photo? Tredrea, Dew and James together in the Prison Bars in the same shot! What a treat!

997BF286-2B05-429C-9697-7457D8E009C1.jpeg

Not sure what point I’m making here but isn’t the Internet fun?!

Pappagallo

Pinko Brigadier
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey BustedWing

Did you want to stop dodging these questions?

Specifically, what is different about Collingwood and the AFL when compared with the other major professional sporting leagues, both bigger and smaller, both open and closed, when it comes to another team using the same colours?
There are many reasons.

You have been defeated.

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey BustedWing

Did you want to stop dodging these questions?

Specifically, what is different about Collingwood and the AFL when compared with the other major professional sporting leagues, both bigger and smaller, both open and closed, when it comes to another team using the same colours?
I'll be honest here....why? Will it make any difference to your position?

If I spend time pointing out the differences into a post, are you just going to respond a few posts later with:

"But why male models?" or the equivalent?

If I do this, I will do so by asking questions of you too...they're not deflections, its a process to help you to understand the point being made. So when I do so, are you going to answer them honestly, or are you going to reply with "StOp DeFlEcTiNg bY AskInG mE QuEsTiOnS!!!"

So before I go any further, I want to know if you will even bother engaging in an honest manner. Will you?

Last edited:

doppleganger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
That for the first 15 odd years, there was no link between the Power and the Magpies.

Power players stayed with the SANFL club that they were recruited from.

The AFL identity is the Power, nothing to do with the 'Bars.

Port unification occurred and now you are trying to push the 'Bars onto the AFL! The 'Bars are all about your SA Magpies heritage.

If you are comfortable phasing out Magpies, why not unify under the chevrons?

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
You uhhhh.....you realise sh*t like this with Stewie Dew is exactly why we fought for re-unification? We had teammates training together all week then fronting up against each other in completely different teams. The SANFL forcing the PAMFC into existence when we moved into the AFL really hamstrung us for the best part of a decade.

Wether you like it or not the PBs are a part of our identity and history as a club, and to suggest they aren’t part of our AFL identity when we’ve worn them on half a dozen occasions is a bit close minded.
Not sure who you are referring to with the hamstrung comments, Port Magpies, Port Power or both. Under the SANFL mini draft system Port Magpies won two flags and Port Power one AFL flag, hardly proof of being hamstrung.
Also, your One Club reunification never was about all Port Power players playing for Port Magpies when not playing AFL, quite the opposite, Port Power promised the PAMFC members they’d never become a Power reserves team, give it a year or two and that promise was reneged on, since then neither team has won a flag.

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I’m thinking that this simply comes down to that many just want to push aside that the greatest performed football club at top tier level is not a Victorian club. With the great love for the sport the Vics have one would think they Would be like Wow what a club, get them into this expanded national comp. What a club!
But no they wish to shut down their history as if it never occurred and try and say as it was in another comp it is no longer a part of who they are. Maybe a little jealousy going on here more than anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad