Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You can stop there because you are factually wrong. A new club was not started to go into the AFL. The Port Adelaide Football Club won the second sub-licence and moved to the AFL, it changed its corporate structure from an Incorporated Associated to Proprietary Limited Company as required for AFL entry and that is it. The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club were established in 1997 as a condition of the award of the second sub-licence at the insistence of the SANFL. The Port Adelaide Football Club's preference was to not have this new SANFL club established. It was also condition enforced on the PAMFC by the SANFL to train at Ethelton, the PAFC categorically did not "boot" the PAMFC out of Alberton Oval.
Alright, I'm only a Crows fan, so not very smart, but the above doesn't seem consistent with the following:

The Port Adelaide situation is unique in Australian football, as since 1997 there have been two Port Adelaide Football Clubs sharing the brand, history and heritage of PAFC but running as separate - and often competing - businesses.

But what you are saying is the PAMFC is the new club formed in 1997 (a good year that one ;) )

When are St Kilda going to put a stop to this buffoon wearing black, white and red?
6c3f1d68896ddb78839261d3efa2d148.jpg
Collingwood should have to give up the emirates sponsorship as the red makes their jumper infringe on St Kilda's brand.

For that matter Essendon's White numbers infringe on St Kilda's brand as do their white shorts away.

Only one team in the AFL should be wearing Red, White and Black!

Alright, I'm only a Crows fan, so not very smart, but the above doesn't seem consistent with the following:

The Port Adelaide situation is unique in Australian football, as since 1997 there have been two Port Adelaide Football Clubs sharing the brand, history and heritage of PAFC but running as separate - and often competing - businesses.

But what you are saying is the PAMFC is the new club formed in 1997 (a good year that one ;) )

There's nothing inconsistent here.

PAMFC was created to carry the legacy of Port Adelaide in the SANFL at their insistence.
The restrictions that were placed on how the two Ports could interact were decreed by the SANFL.
The OneClub merger brought the two together again and has been the single most effective strategy since we joined the AFL.

At the time, research showed that 97% of Port Adelaide Magpie supporters supported Port in the AFL, and 92% of Power supporters
supported the Magpies. Since the OneClub unification, our member base increased by 31,000.

Because if you love your footy and respect the game as a whole you would be wrapped that this massive club is in the AFL and want everything about them with them.

Why do you think that people don't feel that way because the club isn't Victorian?

This is where I get pissed off with the Port Adelaide revisionist history. The SANFL didn’t force your hand with a Power Reserves team, that is entirely your own doing, you could’ve kept the status quo but in turning PAMFC into an AFL reserves side the AFL dictated you had to give up your zones and junior pathways. Do you really think the AFL is going to allow one club to have junior pathways and zones and bar all others?
It’s delusional thinking! Koch then drums up the outrage to cover their own plans and next thing you know Port supporters jump on their victim mentality and SANFL conspiracy theories.
I’ve always suspected the One Club plan was made in the knowledge that they’d have the magpies as an AFL reserves team all along, if true it’s absolutely disingenuous towards the PAMFC members.

I suspect you may be correct that the idea that the Magpies would become our reserves team in time was a part of the long range thinking. At the time of the merger though, it wasn't on the cards and a lot had to change for it to happen.

I may have missed it but I've not seen anything that blames the SANFL for the Magpies becoming our reserves team. Most supporters I know knew this was a logical conclusion of the OneClub merger.

Why do you think that people don't feel that way because the club isn't Victorian?

You not read this thread? Their premierships are crap as they were not in this comp, their colours are not their tradition as this is collingwoods comp, they are trying to drag history and tradition from another comp to this comp. etc etc
PAFC is the club, everything about it came with them when they joined the AFL, they don't have to leave stuff behind.
I think it's pretty clear that it really annoys certain people on BF just how successful this club has been throughout their great history.

You not read this thread? Their premierships are crap as they were not in this comp, their colours are not their tradition as this is collingwoods comp, they are trying to drag history and tradition from another comp to this comp. etc etc
PAFC is the club, everything about it came with them when they joined the AFL, they don't have to leave stuff behind.
I think it's pretty clear that it really annoys certain people on BF just how successful this club has been throughout their great history.

When people refer to premierships, they refer to VF//AFL because it is a continuous competition. I'm not Victorian, and that's still very clear to me.

You don't get it.

Footscray joined the competition in the 1925, as a club they would clearly be very proud of their VFA heritage and the fact they won 9 premierships in it.

But when talking AFL they only reference the two premierships they won in this league.

Just as Carlton won VFA premierships prior to establishing the VFL, it is the 16 premierships in this competition that are talked about.

Port by deciding to join the AFL did decide to leave the Magpies behind. Sure it remains an important part of the clubs history, but it is just that history....they wanted to move forward into a bigger national competition, one that already had an established Magpies team with Black n White stripes.

If Port are so keen on unification, they should adopt the Chevrons for both teams...that becomes the unified national identity, and they leave the 'Bars and lightning bolts behind...both important parts of their rich heritage, just as magenta was at one point too.

When people refer to premierships, they refer to VF//AFL because it is a continuous competition. I'm not Victorian, and that's still very clear to me.

I am aware of that and have no issue with that, I am talking about Ports flags which are just as valuable and as important as any flag in the VFL/AFL

You don't get it.

Footscray joined the competition in the 1925, as a club they would clearly be very proud of their VFA heritage and the fact they won 9 premierships in it.

But when talking AFL they only reference the two premierships they won in this league.

Just as Carlton won VFA premierships prior to establishing the VFL, it is the 16 premierships in this competition that are talked about.

Port by deciding to join the AFL did decide to leave the Magpies behind. Sure it remains an important part of the clubs history, but it is just that history....they wanted to move forward into a bigger national competition, one that already had an established Magpies team with Black n White stripes.

If Port are so keen on unification, they should adopt the Chevrons for both teams...that becomes the unified national identity, and they leave the 'Bars and lightning bolts behind...both important parts of their rich heritage, just as magenta was at one point too.

I am not asking for their premierships to be counted in the VFL/AFL tally, I am saying it is their history and it is real. If they wish to celebrate their great history on an AFL day they should be able to.
That might mean they have People doing a lap of honour holding up the 36 SANFL flags and 1 AFL flag from their history, or people wearing all the different jumpers they have used in their history, or a parade of past champions from their history. They should be able to do this as it is their history.
I am with you that the V Jumper is a good one and one they should embrace, but once a year in a game I have no problem with them wearing a jumper of their choice without it causing mass hysterica.

Your comparisons with Footscray are not relevant as Port is unique in that they are the only club from Outside of Victoria to have been accepted into the national comp. SANFL flags are not AFL flags but they hold no less value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not asking for their premierships to be counted in the VFL/AFL tally, I am saying it is their history and it is real. If they wish to celebrate their great history on an AFL day they should be able to.
That might mean they have People doing a lap of honour holding up the 36 SANFL flags and 1 AFL flag from their history, or people wearing all the different jumpers they have used in their history, or a parade of past champions from their history. They should be able to do this as it is their history.
I am with you that the V Jumper is a good one and one they should embrace, but once a year in a game I have no problem with them wearing a jumper of their choice without it causing mass hysterica.

Your comparisons with Footscray are not relevant as Port is unique in that they are the only club from Outside of Victoria to have been accepted into the national comp. SANFL flags are not AFL flags but they hold no less value.

Normally agree with 99% of your comments, but SANFL flags are not within a bulls roar of VFL/AFL flags.
Players who were delisted from VFL clubs as they couldn't get a game, or VFA players were superstars in the SANFL, even at its peak.

Normally agree with 99% of your comments, but SANFL flags are not within a bulls roar of VFL/AFL flags.
Players who were delisted from VFL clubs as they couldn't get a game, or VFA players were superstars in the SANFL, even at its peak.

Not now they arent, but go back to mid 80's and before that and winning the WAFL/VFL or SANFL flag was all regarded as top tier premierships. Place whatever value you want on them as thats an opinion but thats how it was.
No offense but I don't really think you understand how strong the WAFL and SANFL was up to the 80's.
When I grew up I knew of 3 big footy leagues only, VFL, WAFL and SANFL. They were regarded as the top tier.

who? there were 800 PAMFC members. people like you who still cling onto some fantasy from 3 decades ago are in the extreme minority where they wish it was still 1982. we can tell by your profile especially chaz old mate. people like you and those fools who thought "PAMFC is da real Port" were useful idiots, pawns in the game, morons fooled into delusion, idiots turned against their own club by greater authorities. there were literally 2000 of you max, now there are barely 500, and half of them post here to keep alive their happiest fantasies.

most people in Australia now recognise what a con it was, except the chazwazza's of the country.
What an incoherent diatribe that was.
I’m just pointing out the time line and facts about the One Club proposal and change of the Port Magpies being turned into a Power reserves side as compared to the conspiracy theory some think it is.

As far as what year I’m living in or your fascination with my fantasies, go your hardest, I couldn’t care less about what or who you think I am, it’s totally irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
we aren’t trying to denigrate the V/AFL history or anything like that, we simply want to be able to acknowledge the fact we completely dominated the SANFL for the majority of our history and earnt our right to play on the big stage with the big boys. And what better time to do that than during the biggest footy match in South Australia every year, the Showdown.

That might mean they have People doing a lap of honour holding up the 36 SANFL flags and 1 AFL flag from their history, or people wearing all the different jumpers they have used in their history, or a parade of past champions from their history. They should be able to do this as it is their history
Yep, they can do any type of pregame hype that they want. Bring back old champs and wheel them out.

It ain't mass hysteria, AFL needs to sign off on any match kit. Pretty simple stuff.

They have a chance to unify the club under one jumper...the chevron, which is all about new Port Adelaide.

But instead want to keep trying to go back to the SANFL Magpies kit...the competition and name they are now wanting to ignore.

Exactly SANFL flags are not flags won in this continuous competition.

If they want to go back and talk about SANFL flags with Norwood, good luck to em.

Nobody has an issue with Port Adelaide celebrating their own SANFL history.

The sticking point is they wanted to move on from that small competition, join the growing professional national competition but don't want to actually accept the conditions that go with it.

I suspect you may be correct that the idea that the Magpies would become our reserves team in time was a part of the long range thinking. At the time of the merger though, it wasn't on the cards and a lot had to change for it to happen.

I may have missed it but I've not seen anything that blames the SANFL for the Magpies becoming our reserves team. Most supporters I know knew this was a logical conclusion of the OneClub merger.
In the post I’ve replied to it’s asserted that the SANFL forced Ports hand regarding your zones etc, which is why I posted what I did. There was a lot of pushback against the SANFL at the time of losing your juniors and zones and blaming them which obviously it had nothing to do with the SANFL, I still come across it today.
Other than that I largely agree with you regarding the timing of the One Club/reserves stuff, I don’t blame Port for doing this but feel a bit sorry for magpie members if they feel hoodwinked, it looks pretty dodgy.

They didn’t jump ship, they were told you can’t be who you are because it upsets one of our clubs. They were given no choice and now they are simply fighting for what is right.
??
They jumped ship, the heritage and rivalry was with Norwood etc.

But are trying to claim the showdown has some special link to 'bars

??
They jumped ship, the heritage and rivalry was with Norwood etc.

But are trying to claim the showdown has some special link to 'bars
The Showdown is a celebration of SA footy and what better time to wear the PBs than against the Crows who are an Amalgamation of all 9 other SANFL clubs

So Port don't make any distinction between their SANFL and AFL premierships in their club premiership table. See where this supposed tradition and heritage is heading and why people want to stop it in its tracks?

My club, on the other hand, makes that distinction, as do other traditional AFL clubs like Carlton.

Richmond won 2 VFA premierships before their 13 AFL premierships. Now, you might say that only three of those latter premierships are AFL premierships, but the reality is that the AFL is simply a rebranded VFL with some new teams added. Richmond never jumped ship from the VFL to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back