Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
So Port don't make any distinction between their SANFL and AFL premierships in their club premiership table. See where this supposed tradition and heritage is heading and why people want to stop it in its tracks?

My club, on the other hand, makes that distinction, as do other traditional AFL clubs like Carlton.

Richmond won 2 VFA premierships before their 13 AFL premierships. Now, you might say that only three of those latter premierships are AFL premierships, but the reality is that the AFL is simply a rebranded VFL with some new teams added. Richmond never jumped ship from the VFL to the AFL.

It's pretty clear as there is only one at the MCG. Carlton do it the most correct, they say VFL/AFL premierships as they acknowledge while its a continuous comp premierships were once just state league flags as opposed to national flags.

You are right though it should say Port 36 Sanfl Premierships and 1 AFL premiership.
Out of curiosity what makes the Richmond 1974 premiership any better than Ports 1977 SANFL premiership? Both just state league premierships. The ultimate goal in each state at the time.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It's pretty clear as there is only one at the MCG. Carlton do it the most correct, they say VFL/AFL premierships as they acknowledge while its a continuous comp premierships were once just state league flags as opposed to national flags.

You are right though it should say Port 36 Sanfl Premierships and 1 AFL premiership.
Out of curiosity what makes the Richmond 1974 premiership any better than Ports 1977 SANFL premiership? Both just state league premierships. The ultimate goal in each state at the time.
Richmond's 1974 premiership was in the VFL, hence in the AFL, against a current AFL team.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Richmond's 1974 premiership was in the VFL, hence in the AFL, against a current AFL team.

Question is always deflected and never answered.
Was Richmonds 1974 Premiership a better achievement than Port winning in 1977 or did they both win the State Football league cup in their state. How on earth is one better than the other?

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Was Richmonds 1974 Premiership a better achievement than Port winning in 1977 or did they both win the State Football league cup in their state. How on earth is one better than the other?
How can you answer whether a flag is better?

Is the 2017 Tigers premiership better than West Coast 1992 premiership because it was against 18 teams in a professional national environment compared to just 15 teams in still a semi professional like in 1992?

All VFL/AFL premierships are as valuable as each other...they note that you were able to outlast all other competition during season, and then perform when it counted in the GF.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
How can you answer whether a flag is better?

Is the 2017 Tigers premiership better than West Coast 1992 premiership because it was against 18 teams in a professional national environment compared to just 15 teams in still a semi professional like in 1992?

All VFL/AFL premierships are as valuable as each other...they note that you were able to outlast all other competition during season, and then perform when it counted in the GF.

Just as all SANFL and WAFL flags are.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Just as all SANFL and WAFL flags are.
Yep why is the Port Magpies flag of 1999 any different to 1955, both times it was against Norwood....why is one better?

Pies beat Saints in 2010, and Saints beat Pies in 1966....why is one better?

The question is if you are a VFL/AFL team why you would trot out performance in different competitions?

That is why the Dogs say they have won 2 flags....the two they won in this current competition.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reading this thread and others, I still don’t understand why others have an issue with us celebrating and respecting our history.

We’re the only club in the AFL with a recent, successful history in a competition that was not the VFL. It’s the ACTUAL reason we were accepted into the AFL.

Why do so many on here, especially Victorians, feel threatened by that?

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I didn't deflect at all so stop being disingenuous. What makes Richmond's win 'better' was that it was in the highest class of football at the time, VFL.

There should be a distinct separation between VFL and AFL flags. One is a state based suburban comp, the other is a Frankenstein national comp. vastly different.
Rubbish.

BTW did you realise Sydney, Brisbane and Eagles all played the the VFL? All the AFL is is a rebranded VFL with some new teams added.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep why is the Port Magpies flag of 1999 any different to 1955, both times it was against Norwood....why is one better?

Pies beat Saints in 2010, and Saints beat Pies in 1966....why is one better?

The question is if you are a VFL/AFL team why you would trot out performance in different competitions?

That is why the Dogs say they have won 2 flags....the two they won in this current competition.
Agree re the AFL competition, but not when the AFL also claims to be the “custodian of the game of Australian Rules Football”. it leads to Victorian revisionist history... claiming VFL flags as better because they were won in the same competition as AFL flags. Claiming that VFL players in the 1920’s are better because they played for teams that are in the same competition now.
Its the only reason players like Ken Farmer and Russell Ebert are not given the respect and accolades that so plainly deserve.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Nup, it was just a name change.

What was different between the 1989 VFL competition and the 1990 AFL competition?
Enough for the AFL to deem it different.
I understand it gets murky once Sydney and Brisbane come in. There’s a clear difference from a 1975 VFL flag to that of one in 2020, just as special to the supporters and players of the day but they’re different competitions, different junior pathways, different structures of control by the governing body.
So Western Bulldogs have won one AFL flag and Footscray/WB have won one VFL flag. It’s pretty clear

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
but they’re different competitions
Nope. The AFL has run as a contiguous competition from 1897-present. There was a name change from VFL to AFL in 1990.
Collingwood have participated in the same competition for 125 consecutive years, this competition can be referenced as "VFL/AFL".

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

First Tier Competition
VFL/AFL

Second Tier Competitions
SANFL
WAFL
VFA/VFL
NEAFL

Third Tier Competitions
QAFL
TFL/TSL
NTFL
AFL Canberra
Sydney AFL

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Nope. The AFL has run as a contiguous competition from 1897-present. There was a name change from VFL to AFL in 1990.
Collingwood have participated in the same competition for 125 consecutive years, this competition can be referenced as "VFL/AFL".
Happy with that, any flags won pre AFL are VFL flags and post that are AFL flags. Simple.

Happy with that, any flags won pre AFL are VFL flags and post that are AFL flags. Simple.

Yes, correct. That's why it's referred to as VFL/AFL flags. The reason the VFL flags are considered as opposed to other state league flags because the AFL is an expansion of the VFL. Why VFA, SANFL, TSL, WAFL, Auskick, etc. flags are not considered are because they are different competitions.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'll be honest here....why? Will it make any difference to your position?

If I spend time pointing out the differences into a post, are you just going to respond a few posts later with:

"But why male models?" or the equivalent?

If I do this, I will do so by asking questions of you too...they're not deflections, its a process to help you to understand the point being made. So when I do so, are you going to answer them honestly, or are you going to reply with "StOp DeFlEcTiNg bY AskInG mE QuEsTiOnS!!!"

So before I go any further, I want to know if you will even bother engaging in an honest manner. Will you?

At the moment, I can point to several other examples of this working just fine elsewhere in major professional sports leagues, both bigger and smaller than the AFL. Bulls/Raptors. Maple Leafs/Lightning. Sydney FC/Melbourne City. the entire Premier League and every soccer league really. Patriots/Texans. Western Force/Otago Highlanders. Heaps of different baseball teams.

I've been asking you over about half this thread, as have others, to successfully refute this point if you're going to keep arguing that it would hurt Collingwood for Port to wear the bars twice a year. You haven't even attempted to do so and the post you're making now feels a lot like more deflection and stalling. If you finally construct and post an argument, i'll engage with it reasonably.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If you are comfortable phasing out Magpies, why not unify under the chevrons?

Because we don't want to. The supporters don't identify with the chevrons as much as they identify with the bars.

It's not difficult. The clubs is pushing the agenda set by the members.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
This thread is s**t enough without devolving into arguing about which premiership won 100 years ago is more relevant.

The bars do have a strong SANFL heritage, but we're not asking to wear them because of that, we're asking to wear them because they have a strong Port Adelaide heritage.

chooke

All Australian
Sep 6, 2004
perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
First Tier Competition
VFL/AFL

Second Tier Competitions
SANFL
WAFL
VFA/VFL
NEAFL

Third Tier Competitions
QAFL
TFL/TSL
NTFL
AFL Canberra
Sydney AFL
I agree post 1990.

The SANFL, WAFL and VFL were all first tier leagues through most of the 20th century. All three were first tier in 1974 and 1977. Your knowledge of aussie rules footy is lacking if you didn't know that.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The bars do have a strong SANFL heritage, but we're not asking to wear them because of that, we're asking to wear them because they have a strong Port Adelaide heritage.
A strong SANFL heritage??

The bars are your Port Magpies SANFL heritage, and that hasn't changed.

You haven't been given licence to wear them in the AFL as there already is a Magpies side that played in Black n White stripes.

If you want to unify the clubs, change your SANFL strip to align to the AFL one.

You haven't been given licence to wear them in the AFL

We’ve won an AFL final wearing them.
We’ve worn them against Carlton playing in Adelaide.
We’ve worn them against Bulldogs playing in Melbourne.
Our highest winning margin in a Showdown was in this guernsey.

This isn’t going away.

#thinedgeofthewedge

Back