PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
They were accepted into the AFL with teal involved. Not sure why they suddenly want to change it. I’d go the prison bars with teal involved, it’s their identity now.
And Collingwood were in the VFL playing all their games at Victoria Park. Not sure why they suddenly wanted to change it to the MCG. I'd have gone with a bigger grandstand at Victoria Park, it was their identity then.

JimmyBC

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They were accepted into the AFL with teal involved. Not sure why they suddenly want to change it. I’d go the prison bars with teal involved, it’s their identity now.
Freo entered the comp with green and red involved, black and white are official Port Adelaide colours no matter how you swing it teal is not our flag ship identity and black and white for the most part has always dominated our kits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Young Chevalier

Senior List
Apr 18, 2016
Edinburgh
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heart of Midlothian
Must admit I have never really understood the uproar over this situation. My personal view is that Collingwood look better in the predominately white jumper with white shorts and I would like them to wear that as a home kit. If this happens I see no reason why Port Adelaide can't wear the predominately black prison bars with black shorts. But I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
There is ego on all sides.

Port could have kept their prison bar jumper with teal and a few white stripes. Merging of old era and new era. But no. Perhaps they really feel shitty because they chose “power” as their nickname. Instead now they have a jumper that doesn’t link the old era at all, all due to perception that it hurts others by. It doesn’t.

And Collingwood shouldn’t feel so threatened. You have taken identity of another club with no regard by putting the gun to their head. That’s on you, whether you like it or not.

Altum Volantes

92 - 94 - 06 - 18
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Might take another 10-15 years but they just need to wait for McGuire to stop running Collingwood, he’s put way too much hot air into this topic to back down/concede defeat now.

Once he’s gone this ‘dispute’ will likely disappear with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dubrovnik

Debutant
Sep 4, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally I'd like to see teal stay on the jumper as it's all I've known and actually like the look, even if they incorporated it with the prison bar style.

But my preference aside, I genuinely fail to see why they shouldn't be able to use the original prison bar jumper as their home/original strip and just have a clash uniform for when playing away. If they'd prefer it, why not?

Bungeye

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can wear our colours if you ackowledge that Nathan Buckley made the single greatest impact in winning a premiership for Port Adelaide.

Bam_Bam_Aus

Senior List
Mar 7, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Football Club
There is ego on all sides.

Port could have kept their prison bar jumper with teal and a few white stripes. Merging of old era and new era. But no. Perhaps they really feel shitty because they chose “power” as their nickname. Instead now they have a jumper that doesn’t link the old era at all, all due to perception that it hurts others by. It doesn’t.

And Collingwood shouldn’t feel so threatened. You have taken identity of another club with no regard by putting the gun to their head. That’s on you, whether you like it or not.
Great post.

I don't blame Collingwood though. For years they've come to associate black and white as 'their' colours and unfortunately for Port, they were in the AFL first.

I genuinely respect and admire Port's heritage. I really like the black/teal/white V design but understand why they want the prison bars, however, I reckon incorporating some teal into the prison bar design is a beaut way to honour the heritage of the Port Adelaide Magpies, as well as the tradition and heritage forged by the Port Adelaide AFL teams. Irrespective of how the teal came to be part of the club's colours, it's part of Port's AFL heritage. Something to be proud of.

Didn't mind this version.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 22.14.17.png

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can’t believe people still sook about this. You want to wear black and white stripes go back to the SANFL. It was a condition of entry that you change your name jumper and song, if you are unhappy with the changes then leave

Top Bottom