Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

I watched that. His argument was all about contract this and handshake that. He never actually addressed if it was right to have Port Adelaide restricted from wearing their prison bars.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood member for decades. I love my club. I’m not fussed if another club wears a similar jumper to ours.
I’m not feeling copied, not feeling mimicked, not feeling anything....
I’m fine with my club and that’s all that matters to me.
I like the old Port striped jumper, if they want to wear their own traditional jumper then go for it.
It might make a great new rivalry - battle of the Magpies.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder how the AFL feel about being Eddie threatening them to be taken to court? We know the AFL will side with Collingwood as they are the AFL's most precious club, but surely you dont go around making idle threats?

The s**t about Port wanting to jettison the the SANFL Magpies and Collingwood offering to sponsor them to keep them alive is the most bald faced lie out there. Goebbels would be impressed.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Never seen someone so consistently offended by something not even remotely resembling a big deal.

Port should be campaigning in the opposite direction and requesting they wear the strip in all games except against Collingwood, out of necessity.

FWIW Port's traditional home strip is far better looking than Collingwood's traditional prison bar guernsey.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Obviously shouldn't be allowed to be called the Magpies but I have no issues with the Prison bars, they can wear it all year. Not even that similar to our Jumper aside from the colours of black and white, stripes are far thinner and the horizontal stripe as well.

Still can't believe this is going on.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m with Eddie on this. Entry into the comp came with the knowledge that the black and white stripes were already taken. Port need to move forward and embrace the new identity they created for the AFL, not try and sneak their old SANFL one in. They’re the Power right. With magenta on their jumper. Prison bars for the 150 anniversary year, yeah okay I get it. Heritage round. Yup sounds good. Beyond that though, it’s just not who Port Power are.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Eddie is a w***er
There’s multiple teams with the same kit in epl that’s why you have a home and away kit.
Minnow clubs Manchester United and Liverpool can coexist in a league with tradition red strips.
But Collingwood is above this?
If a club is inline for promotion in the epl does a similar existing club demand there’s no promotion until they tear up their history to protect there own?
It really shows EDVID has infected the minds of the AFL commission.

Last edited:
Never seen someone so consistently offended by something not even remotely resembling a big deal.

Port should be campaigning in the opposite direction and requesting they wear the strip in all games except against Collingwood, out of necessity.

FWIW Port's traditional home strip is far better looking than Collingwood's traditional prison bar guernsey.

Exactly. I mean there are teams wearing the colours in most comps in Australia, I fail to see how Port wearing hurts anything. Eddie just being his backwards self as usual.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port came to the league as the Power wearing teal and were happy to do so - just own that decision.

Why are they now backflipping and blaming everyone else?
Our clubs history is the prison bars, once a year it would be good to celebrate that history. I can’t see the big deal, it’s not like we are on that round calling ourselves the magpies or saying we are the true black and white. It’s just a jumper.

With everything happening in the world for Eddie to get upset over this is just laughable.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Port came to the league as the Power wearing teal and were happy to do so - just own that decision.

Why are they now backflipping and blaming everyone else?

I'm not too sure why this is the case at all.

They agreed to these conditions at the time because that was what enabled their participation in the competition.

It is now over 20 years since they joined, enough time has now passed so these things can be reviewed in light of some more thoughtful conversations had on the subject and there really is no major reason Port can't wear their traditional black and white stripe.

Would any other clubs have an issue with it?

It's purely Collingwood black and white entitlement that's driving it - nothing else.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not too sure why this is the case at all.

They agreed to these conditions at the time because that was what enabled their participation in the competition.

It is now over 20 years since they joined, enough time has now passed so these things can be reviewed in light of some more thoughtful conversations had on the subject and there really is no major reason Port can't wear their traditional black and white stripe.

Would any other clubs have an issue with it?

It's purely Collingwood black and white entitlement that's driving it - nothing else.
What do you think the response would be from Carlton if Claremont or Sturt entered the AFL?

McGuire deliberately muddying the argument by saying that Port want to use the Magpie, which we don't. He keeps going on about a contract which has never actually seen the light of day and a hand shake agreement which he values over a contract (because no contract exists). Back in 97 it was the then Collingwood president that said Collingwood would allow Port to wear the prison bars if we finished above them on the AFL ladder in our first 3 AFL seasons, which we did.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What do you think the response would be from Carlton if Claremont or Sturt entered the AFL?

I'd certainly hope they wouldn't be grappling with something as petty as reverting back to their original colours 20+ years on, but neither are reasonable points of comparison as both guernsey designs and colours are different to those of the Carlton Football Club.

Back