Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish. That's the same as saying there's precedent for Port to wear all teal, seeing as the did it once before

AFL: Kane Cornes reveals death threat following Collingwood's ...'s ...
A Port home game, where Port had to change their home top because of a clash that Collingwood created when they changed their top to a majority black outfit?

You know what this precendant says to me? Port can wear the Prisonbars away against Collingwood, and Collingwood can change to avoid the clash.

big call given richmond have just one more AFL flag than port despite 7 extra years in the comp
Richmond have won 12 premierships in the VFL/AFL since their entry into the competition in 1908.
1920 1921 1932 1934 1943 1967 1969 1973 1974 1980 2017 2019

Richmond have won 12 premierships in the VFL/AFL since their entry into the competition in 1908.
1920 1921 1932 1934 1943 1967 1969 1973 1974 1980 2017 2019

And how many in the AFL period?

1) that wasn't your initial position regarding liverpool and wearing white shorts
2) your point may have bee relevant if liverpool changed their shorts to red due to manchester. do you even know why liverpool moved to red shorts?

inconsistent and irrelevant........is that you eddie?

what's relevant is Liverpool and United have a uniform distinction that's recognisable straight away even though the predominant colour for both is red. being competitive rivals - the greatest in England - it's unlikely Liverpool will pine to wear white shorts or socks, and end up looking like United. Likewise United and red shorts.

what's relevant is Liverpool and United have a uniform distinction that's recognisable straight away even though the predominant colour for both is red. being competitive rivals - the greatest in England - it's unlikely Liverpool will pine to wear white shorts or socks, and end up looking like United. Likewise United and red shorts.

You are so confused or perhaps just bouncing around after making a factually wrong statement to support your position.

Liverpool did wear white shorts but decided for unrelated reasons to Manchester to change to red shorts.

Whilst port’s PB guernsey looks nothing like Collingwood’s striped guernsey. Meaning there is no relevance of Liverpool in the pies port debate.

This is just Eddie wanting to keep himself and Collingwood in the news.
So he creates an issue where there isn't one. He exaggerates and manipulates, beats his chest and misuses his platforms for a personal agenda.
Port Adelaide deserve to wear their prison bars. That has nothing to do with Eddie. Out of respect for Collingwood they would not wear it against them to avoid a clash.
So there shouldn't even be a conversation. If the AFL had any courage they would tell Eddie to suck it up and focus on something that actually matters.
Maybe to his members, the people he is elected to represent, it does matter.

No one is counting tinpot state league VFL era flags as AFL flags.
Let it go.
He's a Collingwood person.
It doesnt matter what everyone's reality is, just their reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the real answer to the age-old "when is the cutoff for premierships meaning something in relation to the game" is stop this juvenile dick measuring contest over who has more ancient dusty trophies and refer to the old adage: "you're only as good as your last game."

VFL flags count when reviewing the history of clubs. If the question was how many flags have richmond won, then the answer would be 12.

The statement/ question put forward though was how many flags have richmond won and port won in the AFL period and the answer is two and one. The question could have been "since 1990".

So I guess the answer has to consider the question and context.

Thats right. The 1989 vfl flag is totally different to the 1990 afl flag.
Edit. In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic
Using the incremental argument to support your case is flawed of course.
But ultimately it doesnt matter. We'll get our guernsey soon enough.

A Port home game, where Port had to change their home top because of a clash that Collingwood created when they changed their top to a majority black outfit?

You know what this precendant says to me? Port can wear the Prisonbars away against Collingwood, and Collingwood can change to avoid the clash.
That's a lie. This was for a M&M promotion, they couldn't create a new teal guernsey quickly enough so they used the teal training ones.

"It was a sponsorship opportunity that was too good to miss," recalls Port Adelaide chief executive Brian Cunningham.

In a repeat of the Carlton episode in 1997, confectionery giant Mars was releasing a teal version of the m&m's chocolates.

"We came to know about it very late in the piece. So late we did not have time to even start designing a special, one-off teal jumper. And there certainly was no time for Nike to deliver whatever we designed.

"But we did have a teal training guernsey.

"It was a good opportunity. Too good to ignore. The AFL was supportive. In fact, they loved the idea."

And the money was too good to pass up.

"Substantial," says Cunningham.

Thats right. The 1989 vfl flag is totally different to the 1990 afl flag.
Edit. In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic

It is totally different if you are only wanting to look at the AFL era. One is VFL, the other AFL. It's a fact.

It is totally different if you are only wanting to look at the AFL era. One is VFL, the other AFL. It's a fact.
Yeah but it's just as arbitrary as since 1997, or this decade, or this millennium.
The AFL is the same competition as the VFL with a new name. It's a fact.

Yeah but it's just as arbitrary as since 1997, or this decade, or this millennium.
The AFL is the same competition as the VFL with a new name. It's a fact.
It's not arbitrary at all. If one specifies the AFL era then it has to be from 1990. Your or my opinion of when the standard lifted to the point of being a national competition doesn't matter.

It's not arbitrary at all. If one specifies the AFL era then it has to be from 1990. Your or my opinion of when the standard lifted to the point of being a national competition doesn't matter.
Sure, but saying the "AFL era" holds no more significance than any other date to the clubs that were already in the competion.
I'm not sure if it was in this thread but someone said "you're only as good as your last game".

Sure, but saying the "AFL era" holds no more significance than any other date to the clubs that were already in the competion.
I'm not sure if it was in this thread but someone said "you're only as good as your last game".

It's around that time though that the VFL went from being the best fooballers in Victoria to the best in Australia with all being involved and leaving the other state leagues behind. The big shift probably happened in the 80s to be fair but choosing 1990 when the name change occurred is as good as any line in the sand.

If it's just the VFL and there's no difference, why did they change the name to AFL?

It's around that time though that the VFL went from being the best fooballers in Victoria to the best in Australia with all being involved and leaving the other state leagues behind. The big shift probably happened in the 80s to be fair but choosing 1990 when the name change occurred is as good as any line in the sand.
They might coincide, but I'd say the "professional era" is more significant. And that's the point you can chose any "era" to make yourself sound good, so it's pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back