Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I've actually heard 2 Victorian commentators refer to the Collingwood guernsey as the Prison Bars in the last couple of months. Something I haven't heard before. Maybe Ed has instructed his media minions to appropriate it?

So Hawks, North and Collongwood wear the prison bars? How unique....

It's not arbitrary at all. If one specifies the AFL era then it has to be from 1990. Your or my opinion of when the standard lifted to the point of being a national competition doesn't matter.
The “AFL era”, sure, but the AFL itself in 1990 was no different in reality to the VFL in 1989. The change only really started in 1982 with Sydney and even then it was gradual.

The “AFL era”, sure, but the AFL itself in 1990 was no different in reality to the VFL in 1989. The change only really started in 1982 with Sydney and even then it was gradual.
There was a formal agreement with the players union and the AFL in 1990 signalling a new level of professionalism.

the more urgent issue is what happens to all the men and women who change their name when they get married. i mean, i know they dissapear never to be seen again, but where do they go? the disappearance of millions of people every year is surely a bigger issue than even the coronavirus.

This is clearly the most insightful take on the issue.
Congratulations.

Yeah it’s a joke that the afl let them get away with it in 2010 grand final we were higher ranking team but had to wear our away strip I was spewing st kilda didn’t stand our ground

Always hard to tell if people are serious or not on here but I'll bite. How exactly were St Kilda higher ranked than the minor premiers Collingwood?

I do enjoy the thought that you've been furious about this for no reason for the last decade.

Always hard to tell if people are serious or not on here but I'll bite. How exactly were St Kilda higher ranked than the minor premiers Collingwood?

I do enjoy the thought that you've been furious about this for no reason for the last decade.
And don't they do a coin toss to decide on who wears what and who gets which change rooms?

And don't they do a coin toss to decide on who wears what and who gets which change rooms?

They used to do a coin toss for the shorts back when there were no clash jumpers. But for some time it's been higher ranked team gets to wear its home outfit. The other team can obviously wear its home (with away shorts if needed) as well if it doesn't clash.

So in recent years we've had a variety of examples:

2019 - GWS full clash kit
2018 - no clash - Collingwood in home jumper but with white shorts
2017 - Richmond full clash kit
2016 - no clash - both teams in home kits

Okay. Fair enough. Would Port Adelaide fans want the club to give up their current guernsey and identity if it meant bringing the Prison Bars back?
Guernsey. In a second.

Identity is irrelevant. We are the PAFC. Always will be.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where do Collingwood supporters sit on this?

To you guy and girls, would it be a big of a problem as Eddie is making it out to wear our prison bats Guernsey once a year at home in our home showdown?

Typical snake oil salesman dribble from Koch to rile up the Power throng to distract from other issues, this club does it every possible time they can because they know it’ll get lapped up by the supporters. When their own board chose to turn Port Magpies into a Power Reserves team and had to give up their SANFL junior zones they blamed it on the SANFL despite it being a condition of the AFL.
I can’t stand Maguire but South Australians have been suffering this inane $hit for decades.

Typical snake oil salesman dribble from Koch to rile up the Power throng to distract from other issues, this club does it every possible time they can because they know it’ll get lapped up by the supporters. When their own board chose to turn Port Magpies into a Power Reserves team and had to give up their SANFL junior zones they blamed it on the SANFL despite it being a condition of the AFL.
I can’t stand Maguire but South Australians have been suffering this inane $hit for decades.

You're correct. In 90/91 we should have completely left the SANFL to wither away into the 2-bit amateur league it had already headed towards being.

But that's got nothing to do with what guernsey we wear in the AFL does it

And yet you can't bring yourself to actually write some truthful comments can you?

The Port Adelaide FC expected and requested to move to the AFL COMPLETELY.

The SANFL held the licence. They dictated that Port Adelaide MUST retain a team in the SANFL.

And then they dictated that it could have NO interaction with the AFL team because it would have too much of an advantage.

It's the basis behind "Never Tear Us Apart" resonating with the supporter base.

They are facts. Not opinions.

Opinion: Because the SANFL, in their own self interest and vindictiveness, deliberately set up to do just that.
Ironically they've helped make the case for Port Adelaide to push for the Prison Bars by doing so.

I can't stand Maguire either but we've had to put up with the inane SANFL& Crows s**t for decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet you can't bring yourself to actually write some truthful comments can you?

The Port Adelaide FC expected and requested to move to the AFL COMPLETELY.

The SANFL held the licence. They dictated that Port Adelaide MUST retain a team in the SANFL.

And then they dictated that it could have NO interaction with the AFL team because it would have too much of an advantage.

It's the basis behind "Never Tear Us Apart" resonating with the supporter base.

They are facts. Not opinions.

Opinion: Because the SANFL, in their own self interest and vindictiveness, deliberately set up to do just that.
Ironically they've helped make the case for Port Adelaide to push for the Prison Bars by doing so.

I can't stand Maguire either but we've had to put up with the inane SANFL& Crows s**t for decades.
Read my post more carefully, I’m referring to 2013/2014 when your board decided to turn the Port Magpies wholly into a Power reserves team.

Read my post more carefully, I’m referring to 2013/2014 when your board decided to turn the Port Magpies wholly into a Power reserves team.

You mean, bring the Port Magpies back into the Port Adelaide Football Club.

You mean, bring the Port Magpies back into the Port Adelaide Football Club.
Well it was that earlier on when they promised
“The Magpies will not operate as a Reserves side for the Power. Power players would continue to play for their aligned SANFL Club.“

Then a few years later they turned turtle on that promise and did the complete opposite, again, this is the period I referred to initially.

... a few years later ...

I've highlighted an important bit of info for you.

I know it's hard for someone who holds a grudge over many decades to understand, but circumstances change and they needed to change their stance on that.

This was about the same time that Sturt were courting the Crows to be their reserves team.

...A few years later Sturt win the flag with the major contributors being Zane Kirkwood and Kory Beard. How did that happen? Know your station and stick to volunteering to pick up dog poo before training.
“Know your station” would have to be the most inane term used these days when someone has nothing more to offer, coming from you it’s a step up.

Serious question, are any sanfl flags won by the "port magpies " when they were a separate team counted in Ports tally and considered the same as all the others?
( also, i hope the prison bars are worn more in the AFL, but calling the best competition in the country a tin pot state league and Eddie every name under the sun doesn't really help get people on side )

Serious question, are any sanfl flags won by the "port magpies " when they were a separate team counted in Ports tally and considered the same as all the others?
( also, i hope the prison bars are worn more in the AFL, but calling the best competition in the country a tin pot state league and Eddie every name under the sun doesn't really help get people on side )
They are counted in Port Adelaide club history as SANFL flags.

yes and I feel this devalues the flags when the SANFL was a quality competition

I guess that is an unavoidable conflict of one club with two teams in two leagues

Don't you honestly as a South Australian want something from our state's heritage recognized in the AFL? I hate Sturt but if there was a Sturt AFL team i would completely support a push for them to wear their proper jumper.

yes and I feel this devalues the flags when the SANFL was a quality competition

I guess that is an unavoidable conflict of one club with two teams in two leagues
SANFL Flags should probably be looked at differently from when the Crows came in and the player drain really kicked in tbh, I mean the list of Magarey Medal winners since then aside from Nathan Buckley is a list of absolute nobodies then you add something laughable like Roy Laird's coaching record being compared to Williams, Oatey, Cahill etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back