Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

EPL? That's your argument? No one gives a flying about the epl, this is the VFL/ AFL sunshine. Port Adelaide joined this competition with an agreement, you can't just walk in and demand your club is allowed to wear a jumper that clashes with ours.

We were here first, and wore the stripes first, suck it up mate.

There was no agreement.

Produce it!

I am an active poster on Bigfooty contributing to topics in general discussion. Your first question would be relevant if this were the Port board, not here. Both questions would suggest you want to discredit via getting personal and I'm not biting. Focus on the content, not the poster.

It was a legitimate question. You seem highly invested in the topic even though this is one of the few football related threads you post in.

Why do you care if Port want to wear the PB guernsey?

First line in the main text

Im guessing you didn’t keep reading past that line.

“If Acraman could see the Adelaide Football Club of today he would not be able to believe the sporting phenomenon he helped kickstart.”

Either you didn't read it or you were intentionally being disingenuous.

No, disingenuous would be the Crows having a historical article on their website about a completely unrelated football club from the late 1800s trying to imply a lineage.

Don't really understand why Port would want to wear a SANFL guernsey when they are the POWER and have been for a quarter of a century?

Ditto when they try to claim the SANFL flags.

If they claim the SANFL flags for the AFL side, then how many flags does the SANFL side have left over? They also can't claim the SANFL flags because they were won by a different team in a different competition.

Now, as much as I love to bring the same argument to the old VFL clubs, it really isn't the same thing, as the current Vic AFL teams are the old VFL teams. The league evolved from the old VFL. The new VFL are not the old VFL teams, otherwise would Williamstown claim Collingwood's flags as their own, etc?

Port simply need to embrace their identity, not try to cling on to the successes of their reserves team. That's something Freo would do....

Don't really understand why Port would want to wear a SANFL guernsey when they are the POWER and have been for a quarter of a century?

If they claim the SANFL flags for the AFL side, then how many flags does the SANFL side have left over? They also can't claim the SANFL flags because they were won by a different team in a different competition.

Now, as much as I love to bring the same argument to the old VFL clubs, it really isn't the same thing, as the current Vic AFL teams are the old VFL teams. The league evolved from the old VFL. The new VFL are not the old VFL teams, otherwise would Williamstown claim Collingwood's flags as their own, etc?

Port simply need to embrace their identity, not try to cling on to the successes of their reserves team. That's something Freo would do....
They are all Port Adelaide Football Club flags deal with it.

Have you ever wondered why we sing "Never Tear us Apart"?

Port moved to the AFL, but the SANFL made us keep a team in their comp, but made them move kilometres away, without being able to take any finance nor training equipment etc. The SANFL tore us apart.

But now we are one, so able to wear the PB's.

??

That sounds arrogant. Did you mean it that way?

Arrogant!? You question my arrogance after 'there was no agreement, produce it'. Like I have a copy of the agreement, when you know I don't.

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with Port wearing their pb in showdown games.

What I do have an issue with is some Port fans advocating for regular wearing of it with a magpie emblem no less.

No. fcku off, we were in the comp first and wore the stripes before the pb jumper existed.

If you want to talk about arrogance, it's this attitude that you can just walk into a competition demand what your team can wear colours and logos that obviously has too much similarity and effect to another club that was in the comp before the one these w***** are advocating for.

First line in the main text

Either you didn't read it or you were intentionally being disingenuous.
I did. Crows is a mascot and a logo.

And I ask again. Deliberately creating an article on the Adelaide Football Club website about an Adelaide Football Club in the 1860's. Insecurity? I don't see an article about any other club supposedly not related to the current AFC.

Try this on. First line of the second article.

"A major development in SA football occurred a decade after Adelaide became the State’s first club. The Port Adelaide Football Club was formed in 1870."

Who's "deliberately being disingenuous"?

If you don't know the difference between a team and a club, I can't help you with an explanation as it would be over your head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrogant!? You question my arrogance after 'there was no agreement, produce it'. Like I have a copy of the agreement, when you know I don't.

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with Port wearing their pb in showdown games.

What I do have an issue with is some Port fans advocating for regular wearing of it with a magpie emblem no less.

No. fcku off, we were in the comp first and wore the stripes before the pb jumper existed.

If you want to talk about arrogance, it's this attitude that you can just walk into a competition demand what your team can wear colours and logos that obviously has too much similarity and effect to another club that was in the comp before the one these w***** are advocating for.
No one wants the magpie emblem involved but you pillocks keep bringing it up, why?

No one wants us to use the magpie emblem.
You can safely ignore anyone who claims we do.

I'm a little confused over this. Port Adelaide is known as the Port Adelaide Power in the AFL, not the magpies. They joined the AFL under that name and identity, so I don't see why Collingwood should accept Port trying to steal their identity - because it's obvious that they are. If port are so adamant to be the magpies, then they should stick to the SANFL.

Being respectful, asserting there is an agreement means there should be evidence of one, and being able to reference that evidence. No one has ever produced evidence of one. Ever.
It shouldn't be about trying to prove it doesn't exist.
Otherwise I could make claims about anything in this world and everyone would have to prove those claims are wrong.

I'm a little confused over this. Port Adelaide is known as the Port Adelaide Power in the AFL, not the magpies. They joined the AFL under that name and identity, so I don't see why Collingwood should accept Port trying to steal their identity - because it's obvious that they are. If port are so adamant to be the magpies, then they should stick to the SANFL.
No one from PA ever mentions the Magpies. Or changing identity.

It's about respecting the club heritage, which has been done before by PA in the AFL and we are questioning why we can't do so again.
Why do you say that?

The AFL clubs voted on who was to be accepted in 1990 someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A second club in WA was always gonna happen before another in SA.

We are in the AFL I'm pretty sure that shows respect regardless of the timeline.

What pathetic SANFL minnow do you really bleed for? must suck settling for the Crows.

Using the word bleed like someone has to follow a club religiously...

Anyway, supported North Adelaide.

But yes the other clubs had to vote, and ultimately they didn't pick Port.

Im guessing you didn’t keep reading past that line.

“If Acraman could see the Adelaide Football Club of today he would not be able to believe the sporting phenomenon he helped kickstart.”

That is an incredibly far reaching conclusion when the first line and every other Adelaide Crows background piece makes no connection.

No, disingenuous would be the Crows having a historical article on their website about a completely unrelated football club from the late 1800s trying to imply a lineage.

People hear stories of a previous Adelaide Football Club so naturally the current Adelaide Football Club would provide information about its history. That's to be commended, not used in some idiotic slant that they are pretending to exist before 1990.

How weak can an argument get when it hangs on one journalist throwaway line in an obscure article about a namesake of the past. Just the fact that I had to type that to point out the obvious lol

No one from PA ever mentions the Magpies. Or changing identity.

It's about respecting the club heritage, which has been done before by PA in the AFL and we are questioning why we can't do so again.
Why do you say that?

By wearing the prison bars you are moving dangerously close to the magpies. In fact, the only difference would be the name, which is ironically removed from your current logo. I understand the rich history the magpies have, but port needs to respect that they joined the AFL as a completely different identity. And this identity has been slowly removed over the years. You changed your guersney, your logo and even your name usually avoids the word "power". Imagine if a NEAFL team like the Redcliff Bombers came into the AFL and used the exact same guersney as Essendon. Should Essendon accept that knowing it's their identity? Of course not, and Collingwood shouldn't accept Port eating into their identity. And Collingwood does allow Port to use the prison bars during various games, which honors the history of the club and shows that they (as a club) respects it as well.

No one wants us to use the magpie emblem.
You can safely ignore anyone who claims we do.

I keep getting responses that 'no one wants to use the magpie emblem'

Why wouldn't Port fans want to use the magpie emblem? Given the option they would and you'd be lying to say they wouldn't.

Right so if Port fans actually had their way you reckon none of them wouldn't want their team wearing the pb with the magpie logo? Yeah nah, don't be so naive.
The guernsey was worn with no logo in the SANFL for 60 plus years, we've never used the Magpie logo at AFL level & never will it's a complete non issue.

By wearing the prison bars you are moving dangerously close to the magpies. In fact, the only difference would be the name, which is ironically removed from your current logo. I understand the rich history the magpies have, but port needs to respect that they joined the AFL as a completely different identity. And this identity has been slowly removed over the years. You changed your guersney, your logo and even your name usually avoids the word "power". Imagine if a NEAFL team like the Redcliff Bombers came into the AFL and used the exact same guersney as Essendon. Should Essendon accept that knowing it's their identity? Of course not, and Collingwood shouldn't accept Port eating into their identity. And Collingwood does allow Port to use the prison bars during various games, which honors the history of the club and shows that they (as a club) respects it as well.
So when this was agreed in 2006, where was everyone?
When this agreement was terminated the following year, where was the outrage?
We are only talking about Showdowns. We'll even sign an agreement on that, a real one. With the AFL.

Collingwood, believe it or not, are not the decision makers here. It's the AFL.

I keep getting responses that 'no one wants to use the magpie emblem'

Why wouldn't Port fans want to use the magpie emblem? Given the option they would and you'd be lying to say they wouldn't.
Because we don't. We're not seeking to copy Collingwood. The PB guernsey is NOT a copy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back