Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Only after you mentioned how stupid it was. Out of curiosity i had to see if it was as stupid as you said it was. Nearly as stupid as that diamond jumper the Hawks had. Not sure if they ever wore it though
Of course it's stupid.

It's CST in Adelaide, not EST.

;)

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I just really dont see what the fuss is all about..

this...
A682266E-009E-4435-B888-2B4750B20F57.jpeg

to me honestly looks a thousand times more classy than this...

CB2AF93E-1E7D-4F69-9F42-0E012DA2AAE7.jpeg

The guernsey up the top there looks like the guernsey design of a professional top league organisation..

the one below it looks like it was designed by the work experience kid at a design company on the cheap as a favour to a small local league footy club..

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

this...
View attachment 1118626

View attachment 1118633
The guernsey up the top there looks like the guernsey design of a professional top league organisation..

the one below it looks like it was designed by the work experience kid at a design company on the cheap as a favour to a small local league footy club..

I actually like the jumper they wear now, I would minimise the teal V in half and double the size of the white V.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think you can compromise on that jumper now by including teal in it. Not much, just enough to appease the disgruntled like a 5mm outline on your black stripes. Same jumper but just helping Eddie sleep at night.
Not sure the AFL should be bothering too much about Eddies sleeping habits. If he wants to have an extended sook, ffs let him.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I actually like the jumper they wear now, I would minimise the teal V in half and double the size of the white V.
I reacon it looks pretty bloody good as is..

the prison bars one looks like they’ve done their best to cram all the sponsor and club logo’s into the top 15cm’s of it.. drawn a line under them and then thought..

“s**t, what are we gonna do with the rest of this space?”...

“Ummm.. maybe we just fill it up with stripes?”... “yeah, ok, that’ll do.. on to the next job anyway, this one was only a love job for that local league club wasnt it?, boss wouldnt want us spending too much time on it”

“yep”..

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

this...
View attachment 1118626

View attachment 1118633

problem solved, bigfooty user "bearded clam" reckons the current jumper looks pretty schmick

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I think you can compromise on that jumper now by including teal in it. Not much, just enough to appease the disgruntled like a 5mm outline on your black stripes. Same jumper but just helping Eddie sleep at night.

Twofold answer to that from the Port perspective:

1) Why do we need to ask another club about it? As has been thoroughly shown in this thread and in every other discussion on this topic, teams having the same colours works fine in major pro sports leagues all over the world.

2) We've got our backs up about it because of the way our history has been treated over the last 25 years. It took a long time for the AFL to acknowledge our history at all and we've already been denied the opportunity to properly celebrate major anniversaries of some of the biggest moments in our history because another club decides they don't want us to. We've compromised enough.

If Collingwood had approved silver bars in 1996 we'd probably have avoided a lot of the heartache and heated debate.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love in that video when Eddie Maguire said to Kane cornes that “your club changes their colours like he changes his jocks” so cornes replied with “most clubs do”....ermmmmm name a club other than Fremantle in the last 20 years to change their colours??? Worst 300 gamer ever, absolute moron

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
problem solved, bigfooty user "bearded clam" reckons the current jumper looks pretty schmick
The problem is... in all honesty.. who really gives a shite?..

I mean, its been a good discussion point for a fair few of us on bigfooty.. and lets face it, we are all die hard footy fan wierdo’s us bigfooty crew... and there might be a few thousand die hard port power supporters that are having a bit of a tantrum over it but most of them are only doing so because Koshie sees an advantage in gee-ing them up over it..

but in the real world no one cares much.. I have some very good mates back home, guys I’d class as brothers, who are Port Power supporters.. they’re also good mates with many past and present players like Chad Cornes, Robbie Gray and a few others. They tell me Robbie is one of the most genuine and nicest blokes you’ll ever meet.. a unbelievably great bloke.

yet most of them dont even follow Port in the SANFL.. they are Bays supporters!.. I can bet they couldnt give a shite about the heritage of the Prison Bars.. id hazard a guess 80% of port power supporters wouldnt even watch the port adelaide sanfl games.

in fact I’d say most supporters couldnt care less that the port AFL team cant wear the PB’s.. most AFL supporters would sit down on the weekend for their 3 hour footy fix and watch their team play.. then go back to their normal everyday lives.. and dont bother concerning themselves with all the side affairs and nonsense surrounding their clubs..

I think we worked out on here the other day there is about 300,000 Port supporters out there according to the most recent Roy Morgan research..

so.. how many of them have even bothered to sign the Change.org petition since its been up and running and while this issue has been highlighted in the media?.. a little under 40,000..

So that means more than 250,000 of their supporters care so much about this issue that they couldnt even be bothered taking a couple of minutes out of their day to sign a digital petition... its been up and running for 11 months now..

Its a non issue.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
You just made that bullshit up.

They never had anything on the back of their jumper until they put up 1870 around 2009. Go on AFL Photos and find me a jumper with EST 1996 or 1997 on it.
Theres someone who is a massive legend on this forum who has a website which will help you find this answer without scouring the afl photo vault.

www.footyjumpers.com

best thing you’ll ever look at

Theres someone who is a massive legend on this forum who has a website which will help you find this answer without scouring the afl photo vault.

www.footyjumpers.com

best thing you’ll ever look at
Its a great site. I visit Mero's site all the time. But its not photographic proof so told the poster to go to AFL Photos so he would not come back with any reason not to believe it.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its a great site. I visit Mero's site all the time. But its not photographic proof so told the poster to go to AFL Photos so he would not come back with any reason not to believe it.
Just trying to pump up someone who has done a massive amount of work for our game and the fans is all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
only a

Only after you mentioned how stupid it was. Out of curiosity i had to see if it was as stupid as you said it was. Nearly as stupid as that diamond jumper the Hawks had. Not sure if they ever wore it though
Which brings us to where we are in this thread. Port Adelaide's AFL team have never worn the prison bars either.

Which brings us to where we are in this thread. Port Adelaide's AFL team have never worn the prison bars either.

I know 2014 EF is a game you’d like to forget but surely you remember the guernsey we wore.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Growing up in SA you either supported or hated Port. They knew going into the AFL they needed to distance themselves from the Port Magpies or they would struggle to get non Port fans onboard. Didn't they even have EST 1997 or 1996 on the back of the jumpers in the early years
If you read the proposal Port sent to the AFL the exact opposite is true.

When we minimized our history, despite our success our memberships and attendances shrunk.

When we became one club again and recognized our roots better we have grown, even in the years we were terrible.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

this...
View attachment 1118626

View attachment 1118633

And yet it is constantly voted the best AFL jumper, revered by those who have worn it (even for just one year like Nathan Buckley) and recognized as such by non Port luminaries like Mike Sheehan, David Parkin and Dennis Commetti.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Your behaviour in 2014 might be a factor in why it got knocked back in 2021....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Our behavior?

You mean saving the AFL's arse when they didn't have the balls to tell a big Vic club to wear a clash guernsey?

That behavior?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back