Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

vary, renegotiate, tear up, renege on, rewrite.. who gives a sh*t, its all the same..

its not happening and you blabbing on about the semantics of the words being chosen by other posters is whats disingenuous..
No, it's not.

You are making it sound like Port are trying to turn their back on the entire agreement.

They aren't. They are after a minor variation, that's all.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
not only does this have 1) nothing to do with you, but you 2) don't even care, and 3) have an anti-Port agenda. 0/3
i’m simply here joining in the conversation just like anyone else is. this is an open public forum. i’m not being disrespectful, nasty or abusive in anyway.

and everything i have said is backed by the actions of the AFL. they (and i’d hazard a guess their lawyers) have come to the conclusion that there is a long standing agreement between the pies and power, written up and signed by both party’s prior to 1997. that agreement will continue to be adhered to unless BOTH party’s decide that changes can be made to it. at this point in time one of the party’s (the pies) want no change.

so that is the decision the AFL handed down last week. Port will continue to not be allowed to wear their SANFL sides guernsey in the AFL.

its pretty simple really.

and just because you dont like me pointing out these basic facts doesnt mean you have the right to insinuate that i shouldnt be commenting here...

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So Port applied to Collingwood to join the AFL in 1997?

Anyway, you are making it sound like the original agreement is set in stone forever, like some religious document.

It isn't. It can be varied. Stop pretending it can't be.

Of course it takes both parties to agree to any variation - that's common sense.

But one party has the right to seek variation if they so wish. Just because the other party says "no" now doesn't mean they can't stop trying.
they can keep trying.. but it looks at this point in time that its gonna get them nowhere.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
why do you think Port Adelaide wearing the prison bars would hurt Collingwoods brand? honestly what makes you fearful of that?
why do you instantly assume it doesn't hurt their brand?. ultimately no one really knows. its really something that cant be ascertained unless port were allowed to wear the prison bars jumper for a period of time.. which isnt going to happen so its a mute point.

at the end of the day.. Collingwood have always been the VFL turned AFL league‘s team of the “black and white” and their guernsey for the most part has been the black and white stripes. thats their tradition, identity and history. they have every right to defend it and an agreement from port power that helps uphold that defense.

time for port to accept that, be grateful the pies allowed port to wear the PB’s for the heritage round games and their 150th celebrations, and move on..

why do you instantly assume it doesn't hurt their brand?

i wasn't talking to you mate, but if you wanna reply to what i said, actually reply to it instead of answering with your own question. how could Collingwood's mighty gigantic "Manchester United of Australia" brand be distorted by "little old Port Adelaide"? wouldn't such a "gigantic club" not fear such a "small club"? Collingwood are entrenched in the Vic bubble and will always have their fake 100k members, nobody will confuse them for Port, all the way over in SA, where they never see us on TV. the way digital subscriptions and such are going, soon enough Collingwood fans will only pay for Collingwood subscriptions and never even see a second of Port footage anyway. so what excuse can you come up with?

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
why do you instantly assume it doesn't hurt their brand?. ultimately no one really knows. its really something that cant be ascertained unless port were allowed to wear the prison bars jumper for a period of time.. which isnt going to happen so its a mute point.

at the end of the day.. Collingwood have always been the VFL turned AFL league‘s team of the “black and white” and their guernsey for the most part has been the black and white stripes. thats their tradition, identity and history. they have every right to defend it and an agreement from port power that helps uphold that defense.

time for port to accept that, be grateful the pies allowed port to wear the PB’s for the heritage round games and their 150th celebrations, and move on..

moot

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port original agreement is with the AFL not Collingwood.

The AFL have already agreed to vary the agreement numerous times (as they should).

The AFL has stated that the variation Port now wants is fair and reasonable.

Gil just needs to grow a pair and it has nothing to do with Collingwood.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
Port original agreement is with the AFL not Collingwood.

The AFL have already agreed to vary the agreement numerous times (as they should).

The AFL has stated that the variation Port now wants is fair and reasonable.

Gil just needs to grow a pair and it has nothing to do with Collingwood.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
It has everything to do with Collingwood, as you are wanting to effectively wear our jumper.
Black and white stripes are black and white stripes, no matter how you try and sell it.
As I have said before, if Port want to wear black and white stripes, wear them in the SANFL.
That jumper in the AFL is already taken.
There is only room for one Magpie team.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I guess the question is to the Port defenders in this thread.

If you signed a contract with your employer regarding terms of employment pay etc and they changed or broke that contract how would you feel?

It's as simple as that really.

Pretty good if it was a 25 year old agreement given the average wage has doubled in that time.

The AFL change the conditions of the competition every year, sometimes quite significantly. What we are asking for is about as minor a change as a club could possibly ask for from a league perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your employer must love you, only having to pay you 1997 pay rates. :)
If you signed an employment contract that either (a) forbid you from any pay raises or (b) explicitly kept your salary static AND you chose to stay in that job...then the fault lies with you sunshine, not the employer.

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty good if it was a 25 year old agreement given the average wage has doubled in that time.

The AFL change the conditions of the competition every year, sometimes quite significantly. What we are asking for is about as minor a change as a club could possibly ask for from a league perspective.

Why are you Port fans being so disingenuous about this conversation.

You dont want a "minor" change, you want the agreement scrapped. You might...begrudgingly...for now....setttle to wear the prison bars just for showdowns, but come on now...if you get that....in five years we will be having a conversation about you wearing it for home games.

Then...all games except collingwood.

If you signed an employment contract that either (a) forbid you from any pay raises or (b) explicitly kept your salary static AND you chose to stay in that job...then the fault lies with you sunshine, not the employer.
I wouldn't.

But if anyone did, they would have every right to seek variation at any time afterwards.

Why are you Port fans being so disingenuous about this conversation.

You dont want a "minor" change, you want the agreement scrapped. You might...begrudgingly...for now....setttle to wear the prison bars just for showdowns, but come on now...if you get that....in five years we will be having a conversation about you wearing it for home games.

Then...all games except collingwood.
You forgot their ultimate aim - world domination.

We should all be afraid, very afraid.........

And if the employer said "nah, we're going to keep your salary as is". your options would be.........what exactly?
Wear a prison bar outfit to work of course.

You've stumped me there.

Debates over gents. Collingwood from here on in will wear pink tuxedos in games, and be called the flamingos.

Carn the Flammies!
Make the guernseys out of flannelette.

The Flanno Flammos.

:)

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
So Port applied to Collingwood to join the AFL in 1997?

Anyway, you are making it sound like the original agreement is set in stone forever, like some religious document.
Funnily enough religious texts/documents have historically underwent edits & revisions more than anything else in human history. If King James can have the bible rewritten, I'm sure this deal can be rewritten also :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back