Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
No argument from me on the second part of your post. The Power, and a lot of their supporters, don't seem to understand that there are some of there own supporters that hate the prison bar jumper as they went for, and still do go for, other SANFL teams. Likewise, there are old Port Magpies fans in the SANFL that don't follow the Power. Predictably, a lot of their supporters on this forum will howl me down, purely because I am a Crows supporter.

Not shouting you down, but it's not a gotcha that these people exist.

But if they really support Port Adelaide, they'll struggle over the long term if they deny our heritage, because it's so intricately woven into the fabric of the club. Most people I know who supported other SANFL clubs have enough respect for the history to know that it's an intrinsic part of the club.

Fortunately, people who aren't on board at all are such a tiny fraction of the supporter base that they're irrelevant to the argument.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not that it is particularly relevant to the situation here, but I'd argue from a 'brand' point of view sponsors actually benefit when they are on one of several similar kits in the same league. When your logo is the main instantly recognisable difference between two teams it becomes a focal point.

For instance, as a kid when I did have some interest in the EPL I completely associated Man United with SHARP and Liverpool with Carlsberg.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Why don’t Brisbane claim 11 premierships? Always wondered about that.
Because the Brisbane Lions are just the Brisbane Bears rebranded not a joint venture or merged entity with the Fitzroy Football Club essentially the merger was a licensing agreement relating to the FFC branding.

Although how their ownership structure differs from Sydney is beyond me. The Bears started as privately owned have no idea when they were turned over to the members. South Melbourne was privatised and then I assume the AFL bought them out at some point.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
AFL has majority control over Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney, Port and Adelaide
WAFC has total control over Fremantle and West Coast.

All Victorian clubs and Brisbane are member owned. Quite how the Lions are, but the Swans arent is a little beyond me.

So technically the AFL is owned by the WAFC, the Victorian based Clubs and Brisbane as they all own their licenses and every other licence is owned by the AFL.
But due to voting rights being based on the licences the AFL executive is in full control of 5 out of 18 votes that could overturn it's decisions. The WAFC is unlikely to vote to overturn any decision, giving the AFL executive veto power of any challenge if it require 2/3 majority or just 2 vote it it only requires 50/50 requiring all the other license holders to be united. Of course the AFL also holds some clubs by the balls financially, so basically the clubs are screwed.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Not shouting you down, but it's not a gotcha that these people exist.

But if they really support Port Adelaide, they'll struggle over the long term if they deny our heritage, because it's so intricately woven into the fabric of the club. Most people I know who supported other SANFL clubs have enough respect for the history to know that it's an intrinsic part of the club.

Fortunately, people who aren't on board at all are such a tiny fraction of the supporter base that they're irrelevant to the argument.
Thank you for not doing so. For some of your supporters it would be.

Are these supporters not real Port supporters because the prison bars mean something different to them than what it does to you?

Likewise, I know plenty of people who while they may respect the prison bars history and heritage in the SANFL, they don't agree that they are an intrinsic part of your club once you joined the AFL.

Lastly, no matter how many of those supporters exist, what right do you or any other supporter of your club have the right to call these fellow supporters irrelevant?

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Are these supporters not real Port supporters because the prison bars mean something different to them than what it does to you?

Likewise, I know plenty of people who while they may respect the prison bars history and heritage in the SANFL, they don't agree that they are an intrinsic part of your club once you joined the AFL.

Lastly, no matter how many of those supporters exist, what right do you or any other supporter of your club have the right to call these fellow supporters irrelevant?

All are welcome BromCrow - come on over.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Every supporter group is a rich tapestry.

They're irrelevant to the argument because they hold very unusual views among the supporter base. Every single club has supporters who hold opinions about the club that would be wildly unpopular among the vast majority of the supporter base.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

They're irrelevant to the argument because they hold very unusual views among the supporter base. Every single club has supporters who hold opinions about the club that would be wildly unpopular among the vast majority of the supporter base.
Fair enough post for the most part. Would remove the words wildly and vast though. I suppose yours and my experience of your supporter base is just different.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thank you for the kind offer Timmy, but I am OK. Now, time for me to watch you get belted again by Craig Balme in 1984.
I still remember seeing the ‘history markers’ stickers for the next decade and having flashbacks!!!

Cyclonus

Sardonic Wrath
Jun 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think they're similar enough to warrant the uproar. Sure, they'd clash against each other, but so do many jumpers. They have the same colours, but so do many jumpers. If it's about people seeing a team in a black and white jumper and thinking they're Collingwood, one look at the score graphic where it says Port Adelaide will correct that. Collingwood changing their jumper in the early 2000 has made the clash much worse, I think Port's white on black could be a good match up against Collingwood's black on white. Anyway, Port's jumper is better.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

Wouldn't have any Collingwood fans who didn't feel strongly about the BnW stripes...as that is all Collingwood have ever known.

Port Power, you might want to associate with the old Port Magpies, (well some bits anyway) but not everyone does...

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
No, I understand 100%. Port supporters want their SANFL tradition recognised as AFL tradition. Unfortunately Port sold their soul to have a team in the AFL.

It is their clubs history and tradition, that doesn’t get thrown out the window because you move competition. The club will always be the club no matter where they play. Asking a club to disregard their history and what they identify as is just ridiculous.
They know they can’t wear it in the AFL but it doesn’t mean it’s not relevant. Might not mean much to you and I but I am sure it means plenty to Port supporters and so it should. Their history and tradition is as important as any other club in the AFL.

Wouldn't have any Collingwood fans who didn't feel strongly about the BnW stripes...as that is all Collingwood have ever known.

Port Power, you might want to associate with the old Port Magpies, (well some bits anyway) but not everyone does...

I know Collingwood supporters who dont see a problem with Port wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. Some of them even signed the petition.

Should your club adjust its stance for them?

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

What's your point? There have been plenty of Collingwood supporters in this very thread who have posted saying they aren't fussed and would let us wear the bars. Those people are at least as relevant as Port supporters who just really like teal.

As I said, every club is a rich tapestry. That's happens in any group of hundreds of thousands of people.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I know Collingwood supporters who dont see a problem with Port wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. Some of them even signed the petition.

Should your club adjust its stance for them?
Plenty of Pies fans would have adopted a soft spot for a fellow Magpie in another competition.

And plenty wouldn't bother watching any games at all that don't involve Collingwood.

The club board is given responsibility of looking after the long term interests of the club itself, they are the ones who are aware of what contracts have been signed and what is worth protecting.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So technically the AFL is owned by the WAFC, the Victorian based Clubs and Brisbane as they all own their licenses and every other licence is owned by the AFL.

But due to voting rights being based on the licences the AFL executive is in full control of 5 out of 18 votes that could overturn it's decisions. The WAFC is unlikely to vote to overturn any decision, giving the AFL executive veto power of any challenge if it require 2/3 majority or just 2 vote it it only requires 50/50 requiring all the other license holders to be united. Of course the AFL also holds some clubs by the balls financially, so basically the clubs are screwed.

The league constitution doesnt even give the clubs power to overturn anything that isnt to do with awarding, relocating or removing a license.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It is their clubs history and tradition, that doesn’t get thrown out the window because you move competition. The club will always be the club no matter where they play. Asking a club to disregard their history and what they identify as is just ridiculous.
They know they can’t wear it in the AFL but it doesn’t mean it’s not relevant. Might not mean much to you and I but I am sure it means plenty to Port supporters and so it should. Their history and tradition is as important as any other club in the AFL.
Yep but they're suggesting their tradition in the SANFL is part of AFL tradition. It's not.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
What's your point? There have been plenty of Collingwood supporters in this very thread who have posted saying they aren't fussed and would let us wear the bars. Those people are at least as relevant as Port supporters who just really like teal.

As I said, every club is a rich tapestry. That's happens in any group of hundreds of thousands of people.
Point is Collingwood have only ever been black n white stripes & Magpies. Collingwood players and fans only ever identify with the BnW stripes.

There are Port premiership heroes like Stuart Dew that actually were playing against the 'Bars and won an SANFL premiership for Centrals when a listed Port player!!

Here is Dew celebrating two premierships whilst a listed AFL Port Adelaide player....where are the 'Bars?

The 'Bars belong with the SANFL Port Magpies...AFL, nup ain't part of the Port AFL identity.

Screenshot_20210506-235657_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210507-001841_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Point is Collingwood have only ever been black n white stripes & Magpies. Collingwood players and fans only ever identify with the BnW stripes.

Does Adam Treloar identify with the BnW? Or does he now identify with the tricolours?

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Does Adam Treloar identify with the BnW? Or does he now identify with the tricolours?
Fail.

Considering he is no longer a Collingwood player you would hope he identifies as a Dog.

Roger James, another Port Adelaide champion??

Here is Roger whilst a listed Port Adelaide AFL player celebrating the 1997 SANFL premiership...at least the 'Bars were in that GF!

Screenshot_20210507-005345_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

There are Port premiership heroes like Stuart Dew that actually were playing against the 'Bars and won an SANFL premiership for Centrals when a listed Port player!!

Here is Dew celebrating two premierships whilst a listed AFL Port Adelaide player....where are the 'Bars?

The 'Bars belong with the SANFL Port Magpies...AFL, nup ain't part of the Port AFL identity.

View attachment 1120214
View attachment 1120221
You uhhhh.....you realise s**t like this with Stewie Dew is exactly why we fought for re-unification? We had teammates training together all week then fronting up against each other in completely different teams. The SANFL forcing the PAMFC into existence when we moved into the AFL really hamstrung us for the best part of a decade.

Wether you like it or not the PBs are a part of our identity and history as a club, and to suggest they aren’t part of our AFL identity when we’ve worn them on half a dozen occasions is a bit close minded.

Back