Port and Collingwood. Rivalry brewing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
There's been heat between the clubs for years with the magpies/prison bars and Koch/Eddie but now it seems like a rivalry is brewing on the field. Last night's game was a classic and lived up to the banter from during the week between the clubs.
Do you agree there is a rivalry brewing between Port and Collingwood?

I mean, Pies got revved up by Ed Langdons comments so wasn’t surprised that Port got revved up by Maynard’s. Amused at the Pies saying oh you can’t stop him from talking when multiple of them criticised Langdon and even had a bit of a “don’t go early in case you lose” mentality about it.

But that didn’t end up in any special rivalry and I don’t think this will either. They’re just 2 teams good at the same time.

There's been heat between the clubs for years with the magpies/prison bars and Koch/Eddie but now it seems like a rivalry is brewing on the field. Last night's game was a classic and lived up to the banter from during the week between the clubs.
Do you agree there is a rivalry brewing between Port and Collingwood?
Might be some during close games but it is pretty similar to the whole VIC v SA rivalry, where SA thinks it is major and for Victorians, SA is just that noisy little dog trying to get attention while we focus on actual rivals like NSW.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn’t there already a rivalry between them due to the prison bars issue and the 2002-2003 era?

Might be some during close games but it is pretty similar to the whole VIC v SA rivalry, where SA thinks it is major and for Victorians, SA is just that noisy little dog trying to get attention while we focus on actual rivals like NSW.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Where does the VIC vs WA rivalry fit in this?

I mean, Pies got revved up by Ed Langdons comments so wasn’t surprised that Port got revved up by Maynard’s. Amused at the Pies saying oh you can’t stop him from talking when multiple of them criticised Langdon and even had a bit of a “don’t go early in case you lose” mentality about it.

But that didn’t end up in any special rivalry and I don’t think this will either. They’re just 2 teams good at the same time.
Langdon can say whatever he wants his comments were just embarrassing at the time considering they’d already lost a game to us at that point and we’re proven embarrassing in retrospect when we beat them again.

Nobody said he couldn't say them. They were just big talk and were responded to with action. Same as Port did last night by playing with strong intensity.

Off field I've always thought both clubs have missed a trick by not leaning into this more - could really push the black and white angle, similar periods of success back in the state leagues, etc. Both clubs would gain from it if you could bring the rivalry up to a level that it really draws in the crowds, potentially even neutrals, particularly Collingwood who probably draw some of their smaller crowds for the year when they host Port.

On field at this stage, and if both continue the path they are on, then maybe I can see a Swans / Eagles mid 2000s rivalry brewing in that they're both up and about at the same time, but I'm not seeing anything with bite from either side.

I've always had a soft spot for Port tbh. In many seasons they seem to have a fast paced gameplan that is pleasing to watch for neutrals. I like their (non prison bar) jumpers and they obviously used to be the magpies of the SANFL. I hope there is a rivalry brewing and both teams remain as top 4 teams in future years

Nobody said he couldn't say them. They were just big talk and were responded to with action. Same as Port did last night by playing with strong intensity.
I still think your mob would have beaten us even if Langdon hadn't made those comments. We looked cooked towards the end of last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off field I've always thought both clubs have missed a trick by not leaning into this more - could really push the black and white angle, similar periods of success back in the state leagues, etc. Both clubs would gain from it if you could bring the rivalry up to a level that it really draws in the crowds, potentially even neutrals, particularly Collingwood who probably draw some of their smaller crowds for the year when they host Port.

On field at this stage, and if both continue the path they are on, then maybe I can see a Swans / Eagles mid 2000s rivalry brewing in that they're both up and about at the same time, but I'm not seeing anything with bite from either side.
Port and Richmond seems to be a decent rivalry but Port and Collingwood has the potential to be bigger in my opinion.
Port and Geelong should have been a rivalry but the 119 point margin in the 2007 grand final means they'll have to beat us in a grand final before there can be any rivalry brewing.

This makes a lot of sense. If both clubs can maintain strong records over the next 2-3 years they could lean into a bit of a top of the table rivalry and see every other club as also rans. It will play to that arrogance as ploy that can maintain interest from a select groups of fans who will then maintain interest when both clubs inevitably go though rough patches.

I think progressing to a point where Port can wear the prison bars, including in home games against us, would only add to this.

Regards

S. Pete

Good rivalries originate in finals.

As Collingwood are the clear favourites this year, if port, Brisbane or Melbourne were to knock them out, I can see next years match ups to be quite fierce

What's a Port?

Whilst PenfoldsFan is doing a great job of getting me to dislike Port fans, I just don't come across enough of them to garner any sort of momentum to build a rivalry.

Carlton miles ahead for mine, closely followed nowadays by Richmond (though still have enough of a soft spot for them to occasionally don the Richmond guernsey).

Steele Sidebottom comments:
"Port are a like a biscuit, they crumble under pressure"

Rivalry brewing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back