Review Port beats Pies - 2021 R19

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a win for Boak's 300 aside that was the nothing game of all nothing games played against a bog ordinary opposition with 9 first year players.

Even with most of our best 22 on the park in the finals the players won't be allowed to just turn it on and off against the better teams. and if we finish no higher than 5th at the end of the minor round, which is just about a certainty, there is a real risk of getting smacked out of contention in one final's appearance for just another happy clapping wasted season.

YIPPEE!

Getting a game into rozee, dursma and butters was a +. Drew fantastic Boak solid Dixon tried hard, marshall good, Burton also really good game

Backline sh*t mostly

No injuries great.

PS the rest of the team could really learn a lot from the way Drew tackles as we hardly seem to stick them anymore.
Totally AGREE with our piss poor tackling. Poor technique said it before go at your opponents waist and wrap them up. Has not improved under Hinkley

Drew was BOG for me. That's a good thing. Still think our midfield is an issue. Lacks something.

Butters and Duursma getting some run into their legs us a good thing.

Marshall was good.

Rozzee was better.

Best game from Houston all year

Burton was good.

Bonner was fantastic for 3 qtrs. Last quarter reverted to to type.

Tall backs sucked this week. The CAPTAIN and McKenzie kept losing their players. Miochck got off the leash.

Picked us by 37. Couple short.

I think tonight is as good as it gets for us. We had our best ball users delivering inside 50 under little pressure and it was still a slog. Result that could have gone either way.
big worry for me was early midfield turnovers and poor conversion going forward. saw glimpses of a bit of flash going forward late and we turned clearances around. and getting a few players back is a positive for mind.
collingwood arent that bad either.

Double feint from Amon noteworthy.
Boy can play.

Some common expressions I used to release pressure and retain sanity during the telecast
No.....Nooo
Your joking
What the...
It seems the older you get, the easier football becomes, and the less tolerant you become of lunatic play. Was incompetence a coaching staff plan, I thought, while watching the game unfold?

Anyways, the embers of competence smoulder, reflected in the tiny inprovement in form of Houston tonight.

Last edited:
Memorable moment for me was seeing Xavier take a mark at half forward and my first thought was Brad Ebert!

Welcome back X-Man.

Really hard to tell on the TV. But was Jonas as poor, as I thought. Or was he covering for Aliir??? Either way he needs to lift.
There is no team defence, which seems to have our strength in the past & has now become out weakness.

Really hard to tell on the TV. But was Jonas as poor, as I thought. Or was he covering for Aliir??? Either way he needs to lift.
There is no team defence, which seems to have our strength in the past & has now become out weakness.

Aliir was on Cox. Jonas was nowhere to be seen most of the time but he looked gassed when he was in view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much went as I expected.
We just don’t seem to be able to put a team away comprehensively.
Never felt we would lose but never really looked like belting them either.
Good to see a spread of goal kickers although we still need some better smalls. Fantasia or Gray would be nice.
Don’t know if it is just me but our backline hasn’t looked the same since we lost Clurey. Sadly the guy that should probably be dropped to let him back in won’t be as he’s our captain.
Liked Ladhams game today(apart from that one kick).
Dixon got rewarded for his effort which was good.
Drew is getting better and the fact he stepped up when Wines was a bit quiet is a good sign.
Boak and Wines both solid.
Best game from Houston for a while, his run and kicking opened things up.

I’ll preface the next 2 by saying I’m not their biggest fans.
Bonner was good again, think if we can keep him forward of centre he can play a role . Still looks uncomfortable when defending.
Thought Marshall played one of his best games. Still fades out of the game a little too much for me but 15 disposals, 3 goals and multiple involvements is an excellent game!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cox was the sub. If you get another chance, have a look a the game again. It seemed that Jonas was on about 4 of the collingwood goal kickers. But could have been handing over to Jonas.

Yeah he was the sub but came on at the start of the second.

SPP was pretty important.. smashed in hard and a few footsteps were heard…

i think we are going ok at the minute. By that I mean we aren’t playing that well, but still controlling games and clearly the better side despite not quite clicking.. if it does click as we get players back it could be anything…

Would be interested in a summary of our kickouts.

Cannon tried a few variables, some worked. He should take every kickout.

Jonas should take zero kickouts. Every one of his came straight back at him. It’s because he is the main culprit of kick it out to the right of the centre square every time, and has no distance or real power in his kicking. Opposition lick their lips when he takes the kickout.

Give the ball to someone else, Tom, and get out of the square.

Hardly a flawless performance but we did what we needed to, never really looked like losing and got out of it without any fresh injuries, so mission accomplished.

Collingwood jumped us a bit around the ball but by half way through the first quarter we had it on our terms. That continued for pretty much the remainder of the match. We pressed aggressively, it was a real return to our old style of play. This meant our defence was very exposed and they created a lot of easy opportunities. I didn't mind it though, we backed ourselves in against an inferior team and chopped them up on the turnover. And I know they're towards the bottom of the ladder and have a lot of youngsters but they've still got a solid core of high quality players as well so we were never going to win this by 10 goals.

Drew was BOG for us. Carried the midfield in the first half. Wines and Boak both worked into it nicely. With 30 touches, most later in the game, plus a critical goal, Wines would be a good chance to get the 3 or 2 votes tonight, even though he wasn't quite at his best.

Thought Dixon was excellent again. It's gone under the radar a bit but he's now built up a good 6-8 week block of high quality footy.

Marshall played his best game for the year. Strong in the contest and hit the scoreboard.

Thought Lycett was smashed by Grundy early but fought on to play a good game in the end.

Butters and Duursma were both in and out of the game. Both did some nice things but also some things that made it clear they hadn't played much footy this year. But both got through the game and will be better next week no doubt.

Thought Rozee had a great first half, as did Bonner.

Burton was our best defender by a mile.

Ladhams looked as threatening up forward as I've ever seen him look.

Good training run . Working on ball movement, opened us up sometimes but we always had another level to go to when needed .
Was most happy with Ladhams myself , he started holding his marks , makes him a much more damaging player when he does , I think the combination with Lycett wore Grundy down in the end and he contributed up forward and around the ground.
Drew was great , he commanded some of the scrimmages and was doing things when no one else could .
Bergman good again ,
I think the missing link at the moment is Darcy’s role we need him to be attacking and proving run into the corridor and he’s not doing it enough at the moment .
Burton good again
Marshall and Rozee were both good , so classy
Boaky was great the champ .
Wines a little down but still good . That Adams not a bad player for them .
Good necessary game time into Butters and Duursma , another two weeks all going well and we should see them up to speed .
Bonner definitely better again after his horror game a month back , his attacking play is very good especially when his confidence is up .
Not perfect but solid

Hardly a flawless performance but we did what we needed to, never really looked like losing and got out of it without any fresh injuries, so mission accomplished.

Collingwood jumped us a bit around the ball but by half way through the first quarter we had it on our terms. That continued for pretty much the remainder of the match. We pressed aggressively, it was a real return to our old style of play. This meant our defence was very exposed and they created a lot of easy opportunities. I didn't mind it though, we backed ourselves in against an inferior team and chopped them up on the turnover. And I know they're towards the bottom of the ladder and have a lot of youngsters but they've still got a solid core of high quality players as well so we were never going to win this by 10 goals.

Drew was BOG for us. Carried the midfield in the first half. Wines and Boak both worked into it nicely. With 30 touches, most later in the game, plus a critical goal, Wines would be a good chance to get the 3 or 2 votes tonight, even though he wasn't quite at his best.

Thought Dixon was excellent again. It's gone under the radar a bit but he's now built up a good 6-8 week block of high quality footy.

Marshall played his best game for the year. Strong in the contest and hit the scoreboard.

Thought Lycett was smashed by Grundy early but fought on to play a good game in the end.

Butters and Duursma were both in and out of the game. Both did some nice things but also some things that made it clear they hadn't played much footy this year. But both got through the game and will be better next week no doubt.

Thought Rozee had a great first half, as did Bonner.

Burton was our best defender by a mile.

Ladhams looked as threatening up forward as I've ever seen him look.
Interesting you say that about wines tonight

He played well but I see tonight as a game where he played well but won't get a single vote

Remove this Banner Ad

Back