Review Port beats Pies - 2021 R19

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of dumb football tonight but our class shone through in the end.

Midfield conceded a lot of waltz-out clearances, especially early. Wines took a while to work into the game, Drew was very good.

Defence had a bit of a nightmare really. Struggled to track players back and conceded way too many marks inside 50.

Forwards worked pretty well, having the superstar kids back definitely helped in terms of creating forward half turnovers and we seemed to score a lot from that. The quadrangle has been successful over the last two weeks IMO. I'd stick with it. Dixon is back in AA form, Marshall was very influential and Ladhams had one of his best key forward games in memory.

Not a pretty win but lot's to like, could see that we were trying to transition a bit quicker from defence at times and lots of 'almost' plays, plenty to work with - bank the 4 and look forward to next week.

What a ******* shittruck the AFL are for blocking Chicki Boak from “commentary” on SEN. Dicks

Seriously?! Boak’s mom was forbidden to join the SEN crew for her son’s 300th game!?

I can’t believe it…

New week new ‘okay we got the win but..’ win.

Just keep banking them I guess and rolling on.

The midfield dominance the pies had over us for a Qtr is a worry. We just don’t have the cattle to match the best teams through there yet. We desperately need gray and a fit and in form butters to roll through and help wines boak and drew.

Wines - slow start as pies put a lot of work into him, also was he at as many centre clearances as normal or did we try something different? Hard to tell but didn’t see him as much. Bigger second half and amazing 4th Qtr.

Amon - another very good game after last weeks blinder. If he can keep this up it would be great. He’s so dangerous around goals as a mid too. Doesn’t miss nearly as much as everyone else.

Drew - awesome game from drew. Early on was defensively strong while winning some ball but then started finding more and more himself. I think to Qtr time I noticed he only had 1 clearance but finished with 8 so 7 in 3/4s is very good. This is the transition we need him to eventually make from a shutdown to a clearance winning ball finding beast.

Lycett - horrible horrible start but fought back into it and made it very respectable by the end.

Ladhams - wasn’t smashed in the ruck, completed enough. Thought this was some of the best forward craft he’s ever shown anywhere. Kicking was woeful.

Dixon - poor start but worked into it with his effort. Finished very strong. Could have had a really big bag of kicked straight.

Boak - well done champion.

Marshall - good game from Marshall. 3 goals and 15d. Had some very good touches. Brought the ball to ground in contests, snuck into some dangerous spots. Kicked truly.

Houston - had a few bad moments early then came into it. Had some great impactful touches and some good running. Still not up to his standard and also some poor defensive efforts to what I expect of him as well.

Burton - great offensive moments

Rozee - had brilliants runs and some really poor touches. Needs to work on his handballing every day. Make his do handballing drills under pressure at the end of sprints for the rest of the year.

Bonner - great game early then faded.

Dbj - great running through the middle that really played a part in our game coming good but just burnt the ball badly and made poor decisions galore with the ball.

Duursma - a decent comeback game

Spp - had some great moments tho I remember them mostly early.

Butters - he came back and got through the game. I’m just happy with that.

Jonas - had a few strong moments where he backed himself to take marks etc but also too many dumb moments for a senior leader

Woodcock - had a nice joe the goose and did a couple of things but for a small forward whos meant to be playing a role he seemed to do less small forward work than our tall forwards. Not happy with that effort.

Bergman - had a couple of really impactful moments but was a passenger for 95% of the game. Great signs but needs to find more of it.

Georgiades- well down game for the talented player. Spoiled a sure Ladhams mark, went missing and missed a shot on goal. He’s talented as hell and the good thing about having 3 kfs and a 2nd ruck is that there’s others to step up if one has a down game. He will have another great game soon, if not next week.

Alir - meh. Hasn’t been our Alir since clurey went out. Did okay but nothing to write home about and not up to the standard he set earlier in the year.

McKenzie - was pretty decent defensively but not a memorable game at all.

Our centre clearances have to be so much better. Get that right and we will look 100% better.
Despite winning ugly some good signs with Bonner Drew and Rozee looking great

Good to confirm umpires aren't affect by the crowd.

Thought they were consistent in leaving me bewildered as to what they were/ weren't calling.

Not complaining we got more than usual, got a few against us but some of those calls both ways just had me shaking my head.

There was a few each way but there was one that left me shaking my head.

We got a free for holding the ball, on the outer wing, DeGoey picks up our bloke (cant recall who it was), and then pushes him back to the ground. No fifty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few positives tonight, thought Rozee was moving the best I've seen for a while, game time into Butters and Duursma will help.

Ladhams and Todd able to step up with Mitch being held and Lycett playing under his usual self.

Thought Collingwood made us pay whenever we didn't respect them. Defenders peeling off looking to get into the highlights before the ball was falling our way.

Ultimately strange year so far. I mentioned to the lad, never felt we'd lose this but never walked away from so many Ports wins in one season thinking we ain't that good.

Hopefully percentage won't make a difference to where we finish up

Another Hinkley ball .. not very clean at out of stoppage, perhaps thats because they've all been trapped indoors for most of the week..

Biggest positives out of that game..
Got run into Duursma, butters and rozee
No injuries or surgeries this week
Won away in Melbourne 2 weeks in row

Good to confirm umpires aren't affect by the crowd.

Thought they were consistent in leaving me bewildered as to what they were/ weren't calling.

Not complaining we got more than usual, got a few against us but some of those calls both ways just had me shaking my head.
We got away with a few pushes in marking contests. They got away with about half a dozen very blatant holding the balls

Really don't know what to make of the game given the level of Collingwood so I'll focus on the positives.

1) Pleased that Boak got a win in his 300th, if players like him hadn't of stuck around when the club was on its knees then who knows where the club would be on field.

2) Peter Ladhams took some nice marks around the ground and did some nice things up forward. A more complete game against Collingwood in comparison to earlier in the year.

3) Todd Marshall finished off his opportunities up forward and looks assured and uses the ball with class and good decision making in general play.

4) Charlie Dixon, kicks the tough goals and misses the easy ones, 4 goals was about right for mine as I think he could of got penalised for two pushes in marking contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back