Todd Marshall fan
10k Posts
Jul 30, 2009
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Left is Best
How can anyone want such a nothing club like the Bulldogs to overtake us in the flag stakes?

inb4 "derp suburban league flags in the black n white era"
its a bit rich to be calling them a nothing club right now.

If we want to be ahead of them we need to go win more flags.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
its a bit rich to be calling them a nothing club right now.

If we want to be ahead of them we need to go win more flags.

We do, but we matched their grand final record in our first 10 years. I know it doesn't count for much, but come on, Bulldogs being above us in the premiership stakes is not at all an accurate representation of the league.

Sep 8, 2014
Look behind you!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings, Oakland Raiders
Tipped the Swans, but would love to see the Dogs win. Like Finny said - their fans will appreciate more than Sydney's.
Sydney will be too tough on the day I reckon, but I don't think it will be a massacre. Dogs too good for that, assuming they don't get overawed by the day.

Sydney by 33

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Voted Sydney but will be cheering for the Doggies.

Snap. Head says Swans but my heart wants the Dogs.

I am wondering if that week off before the finals has affected the results. Both the Swans and Dogs have played every week during the finals. Both semi final winners lost the prelim final. First time I can recall that happening. Maybe the week's rest before the finals helps the sides out of the top four?

Swans will win. Not as battered or bruised as after the previous two finals.

Bulldogs were fairly excited after the win last week, I hope they haven't already played their grand final. I don't want to see their group '119-ed' just as GWS starts to grow up.

I like the way both these sides play their footy and don't have a preference for who wins. As long as none of the arrogant old Vic Big Four, shitstainboners North, their entitled bipolar opposite Melbourne, and the never-ending-delusions-of-adequacy Crows don't win, I'm OK.

The Swans will want to congest it and control it and the Dogs will want to keep it rolling along via the newish "ruck and maul, drop the ball, 'play on's the call" interpretation. Will be interesting to see if that carries over to next year. I hope it does, simplifies footy somewhat and turns potential stoppages into tension filled seconds. A League like aspect of our game reshaped into something more like one of the better aspects of Union.

Speaking of interpretations inspired by other games, no one wants to see actual "kicking to touch" come into our game again but even less do I want to see dodgy "deliberate" calls affecting the outcome. If I was a coach I'd re-introduce the bloody screw punt at training specifically as a tactical meter-gainer, for the sheer randomness of the bounce when it hits the ground. Would like to see one land near a boundary, turn 90 bloody degrees Monfries-bounce-like and have an umpire call it "deliberate" in front of 80,000. This rule has gone too far IMO where kicking is concerned and it needs to come back to something in the spirit of our game.

Lou Zyffer

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2005
SE Qld
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Other teams? There's other teams?
Haven't had a wrong tip this finals series which of course means SFA really. No doubt if my gambling budget was larger I would've backed all the losers.

But I backed the Swans a few weeks ago and I'm sticking with them. Doggies, inspiring, exciting. Swannies, clinical and ruthless.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember reading pre-season, might have been on the main board, that if a team was ever going to win the flag from outside the 4, or at least make the GF, it'd be this year because of the pre-finals bye.

Well the Dogs have done just that and made it from 7th. Although I'm hoping they go no further and the Swans prevail.

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How can anyone want such a nothing club like the Bulldogs to overtake us in the flag stakes?

inb4 "derp suburban league flags in the black n white era"
Are we really able to look down our noses at the bulldogs? Reminds me of the Crows supporters always shitting on our club.

KenOath

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the Dogs will win quite comfortably. The Swans are beat up and despite playing for the fourth week in a row, the Dogs had the pre-finals bye, then back-to-back 8 day breaks (which is unprecedented in finals) so they'll be fresh enough. The Dogs long injury list is now also largely a thing of the past with only a couple of definite best 22 players still out, while the Swans is getting longer by the week. Kennedy, Parker and Buddy all looked proppy on Friday night.

The match itself will be a hard-fought, largely boring slugfest. These teams also get away with the most throws/drops/hand-offs without getting pinged for HTB, so it'll be scrappy in close.

I hope the Swans win because I have an irrational hatred of the Dogs (I actually think I can trace it back to Luke Darcy's playing days tbh) and I really don't want the Dogs boring style of footy catching on!

Back