Prediction Port Board Phantom Draft

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Port end up with Brodie Kemp and Deven Robertson out of this draft, it'd almost make the otherwise ridiculous Howard trade worth it. Unfortunately I can't see us being that lucky in the real world.

Robertson is an inside mid … don't we have enough inside mids ???

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
Well this is turning out to be quite a draft for Port.

With pick 18 Port Adelaide select - Deven Robertson

An athletic and consistent ball winning mid that could be the best leader in the draft. He is an absolute steal at 18 and would have looked nice at 12 as well.

While we dont have a need for inside mids, Wines has 1 foot out the door and Rocky and Boak will fall off a cliff in the coming years. We also have a serious need for leadership which Robertson will help to resolve.

Who else was in contention? Trent Rivers. He fills a need for a classy player but Robertson is too good to pass on.

Macca19 your pick

Bio:
An inside midfeld ball winner, Robertson’s year was cut short due to a shoulder injury, but it was not before the strong leader took out the Most Valuable Player at the Under-18 Championships. He surpassed Sam Walsh’s disposal record and was a dominant clearance player, as well as putting together numerous four quarter performances in a ray of consistency throughout 2019. Ready to go in Round 1, 2020.

Last edited:

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well this is turning out to be quite a draft for Port.

With pick 18 Port Adelaide select - Deven Robertson

An athletic, consistent ball winning mid that could be the best leader in the draft. He is an absolute steal at 18 and would have looked nice at 12 as well.

While we dont have a need for inside mids, Wines has 1 foot out the door and Rocky and Boak will fall off a cliff in the coming years. We also have a serious need for leadership which Robertson will help to resolve.

Who else was in contention? Trent Rivers. He fills a need for a classy player but Robertson is too good to pass on.

Macca19 your pick

a good pick judging by the stats …

Deven ROBERTSON - draft projection 8 - 20
30/06/2001 | 184cm/81kg | Inside Midfielder PERTH/WESTERN AUSTRALIA An inside midfield ball winner, Robertson’s year was cut short due to a shoulder injury, but it was not before the strong leader took out the Most Valuable Player at the Under-18 Championships. He surpassed Sam Walsh’s disposal record and was a dominant clearance player, as well as putting together numerous four quarter performances in a ray of consistency throughout 2019. Ready to go in Round 1, 2020.

STRENGTHS › Clearances › Consistency › Accumulation › Leadership › Athleticism
IMPROVEMENTS › Kicking consistency › Scoreboard impact › Versatility

on field data
- Disposal - average
- contested - Elite
- Consistency - Elite
- Ceiling - average

testing data
- speed - Elite
- agility - Elite
- Endurance - above average
- Vertical - above average

Although he might be needed in the future to replace Wines or SPP ..

I do wonder if that with Mead, Schofield, Jones, Maybe Francou x 3 (as well as Burgoyne x 2, Wanganeen & Montgomery x 2) coming in if it is worth getting him atm

Robertson is an inside mid … don't we have enough inside mids ???

Boak is 32, Rocky is 30, Wines and SPP have both had their names come up in trade talks. Robertson wouldn't necessarily be a walk up start for us from Round 1 next year, but give him a couple of years to develop and he'll be a readymade replacement for some players who'll be on the way out by then.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Boak is 32, Rocky is 30, Wines and SPP have both had their names come up in trade talks. Robertson wouldn't necessarily be a walk up start for us from Round 1 next year, but give him a couple of years to develop and he'll be a readymade replacement for some players who'll be on the way out by then.

that is true that Boaky and Rocky are in their 30's and Wines and SPP have question marks against their names … but

over the next 5 years we have

2019 - Trent Burgoyne - Wing (does this mean Duursma after a while is groomed for the midfield)
2019 - Jackson Mead - Midfield / HFF
2020 - Owen Montgomery - ????
2020 - Taj Schofield - Midfield / HFF
2020 - Noah Wilson - ????
2021 - Jace Burgoyne - Wing
2021 - Will Francou - Mid
2021 - Jones - Def / Mid (from the Academy)
2021 - Tex Wanganeen - Utility (can play mid)
2022 - Harper Montgomery ????
2023 - Oliver Francou - Mid
2024 - Ky Burgoyne - Midfield - (also Hawks)
2024 - Ben Francou - Mid

and we have Drew, Houston & Rozee wanting midfield time

if we get Kemp he after a while will be able to play midfield

and we will have other academy players during this time that are midfielders that we will want to pick ...

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
that is true that Boaky and Rocky are in their 30's and Wines and SPP have question marks against their names … but

over the next 5 years we have

2019 - Trent Burgoyne - Wing (does this mean Duursma after a while is groomed for the midfield)
2019 - Jackson Mead - Midfield / HFF
2020 - Owen Montgomery - ????
2020 - Taj Schofield - Midfield / HFF
2020 - Noah Wilson - ????
2021 - Jace Burgoyne - Wing
2021 - Will Francou - Mid
2021 - Jones - Def / Mid (from the Academy)
2021 - Tex Wanganeen - Utility (can play mid)
2022 - Harper Montgomery ????
2023 - Oliver Francou - Mid
2024 - Ky Burgoyne - Midfield - (also Hawks)
2024 - Ben Francou - Mid

and we have Drew, Houston & Rozee wanting midfield time

if we get Kemp he after a while will be able to play midfield

and we will have other academy players during this time that are midfielders that we will want to pick ...

We dont know how those players will turn out. Its likely most will be duds but Robertson is pretty much a sure thing.

I see Robertson replacing Wines and Rocky but to a higher quality. This would open up a free space in the midfield for a more balanced mid.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We dont know how those players will turn out. Its likely most will be duds but Robertson is pretty much a sure thing.

I see Robertson replacing Wines and Rocky but to a higher quality. This would open up a free space in the midfield for a more balanced mid.

we don't know but the club would (as they plan 3 - 5 years in advance)

we do know how Trent Burgoyne is
we do know how Jackson Meade is
we do know how Taj Schofield is
we do know how Lauchlan Jones is
we do know how Jace Burgoyne is
we do know how Rozee, Drew & Houston is

the question marks are
on the other academy midfielder players
the Montgomery's (X 2) & Francou's (x 3)
if we get Ky Burgoyne
the supporters suspect they know how Wanganeen will be

us preparing for the big increase of father son & academy players is the only reason I can think of for us getting rid of over the last 3 years players who have 4 - 9 years of playing time (such as Wingard, Pittard, Youngy, Howard, Polec, Impey etc etc etc )

Richmond - Pick 19
Jeremy Sharp: 189cm Midfielder / East Fremantle

This one is an easy one. Not only is Sharp the best available for me at this pick, he fills a need for Richmond as well. With Brandon Alice moving to Gold Coast there is a spot on a wing available for Richmond and Sharp fills that perfectly. Surprisingly tall, with great agility, decent pace and excellent foot skills, Sharp is a player who is ready to play from Round 1 2020. It's his consistency in kicking that makes him such a good prospect. A bit underrated this year, hasn't got the press he probably deserves.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
for the suns I pick

some one who has supported the suns for years
some one who wants to come to the gold coast
some one to add to the 11 other South Australian players at the club (thus having one more SA player then the club for all South Australians)

this player is:-

Will DAY
05/06/2001 | 189cm/76kg | General Defender WEST ADELAIDE/SOUTH AUSTRALIA Will Day is a player who has been a rapid riser this year after showing some impressive signs as a bottom-ager last season, particularly during school football. He predominantly plays off half-back, but can move into the midfield and was a player whose dual-sidedness could slice up opposition defensive zones. Managed to get a handful of Reserves games in after his school football finished and did not look out of place.

STRENGTHS › Athleticism › Kicking › Footy IQ › Rebounding › Upside
IMPROVEMENTS › Strength › Inside game

On field data
Disposal - Elite
Contested - Below Average
Consistency - Above Average
Ceiling - Elite

Testing Data
Speed - Above Average
Agility - Above Average
Endurance - Average
Vertical - Above Average

so another SA player to help keep Rankine & Lukosius out of the cows grasp …

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jonts (Brisbane), Schulzenfest (Freo) & Benblinkau (cows) …

all up to you …

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Schulzenfest (Freo) then Benblinkau (cows) Janus (Cats) & Philthy05 (Swans)

your the next ones up …

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dockers bid on Finn Maginness (Hawthorn F/S)

philthy05 do you match?

yes.

Finn is a great pick up at this point.
He has great size for a mid. Not only height wise but his frame will fill out great. His athletic testing was great.

in this time in our game when teams are getting lots of mids around contests it’s one thing to be a ball winner, which is a valuable trait it’s another thing altogether to be a ball winner who can take a ball and exit a stoppage rather than trying to work the ball into space through a series of contested possessions all of which is an opportunity to fumble or turn the ball over.

those guys are worth a lot in today’s game and ive seem enough from Finn to suggest that he can do that at afl level. He has the size, power and skill to takeaway the ball from contests.

he just needs to improve his tank and learn smarter running so that he can find more of the ball and be more involved in the game. Hawthorn is a great place for him to develop.

so far this draft hasn’t addressed some of hawthorns needs in terms of kpp but they’ve added some great talent in their midfield at the picks they’ve had. Mitchell, omeara, Worpel, serong and Finn could be a powerhouse midfield when some outside runners are added to impey.

In that case, Dockers will go best available (who happens to be a WA boy) and take Trent Rivers. Although I expect in the real world Liam Henry will last long enough that this pick will be used on him.

benblinkau you're up.

On another note, has someone gone through and worked out how many open list spots each club has? Ford Fairlane

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I’ve worked it out correctly hawks lose pick 30, and pick 54 becomes pick 57 to match the bid at pick 22.

845 - 20% = 676 - pick 30 (629) = 47.

pick 54 (220) - 47 = 173.

on points table

Pick 57 = 182

pick 58 = 170

meaning hawks get allocated pick 58 if I’ve done this all correctly. Although as pick 54 has been removed pick 58 has become pick 57 in the order (while pick 30 has become pick 22, and now Schultz is picking for freo at pick 23)

* me this is complicated.

Last edited:

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I’ve worked it out correctly hawks lose pick 30, and pick 54 becomes pick 57 to match the bid at pick 22.

845 - 20% = 676 - pick 30 (629) = 47.

pick 54 (220) - 47 = 173.

on points table

Pick 57 = 182

pick 58 = 170

meaning hawks get allocated pick 58 if I’ve done this all correctly. Although as pick 54 has been removed pick 58 has become pick 57 in the order (while pick 30 has become pick 22, and now Schultz is picking for freo at pick 23)

fu** me this is complicated.

especially working it out first thing in the morning (& with out coffee)…

but I have

Freo's pick 22 was 845pts less the 20% discount of 169 = 676pts to match

Hawks pick 30 is (629pts) so their next pick will need to be used and this is pick 42 (395pts) for a total of 1032pts

after it the 676pts is taken away it leave 345pts which is between pick 45 (347pts) and pick 46 (331pts)

the hawks then move down from pick 42 to pick 46

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
especially working it out first thing in the morning (& with out coffee)…

but I have

Freo's pick 22 was 845pts less the 20% discount of 169 = 676pts to match

Hawks pick 30 is (629pts) so their next pick will need to be used and this is pick 42 (395pts) for a total of 1032pts

after it the 676pts is taken away it leave 345pts which is between pick 45 (347pts) and pick 46 (331pts)

the hawks then move down from pick 42 to pick 46
Ah I missed hawks had pick 42.

In that case, Dockers will go best available (who happens to be a WA boy) and take Trent Rivers. Although I expect in the real world Liam Henry will last long enough that this pick will be used on him.

benblinkau you're up.

On another note, has someone gone through and worked out how many open list spots each club has? Ford Fairlane

I'm going by the BigFooty phantom, haven't made adjustments yet because it is still early.

benblinkau hasn't been active much, last seen late Friday night.

If he hasn't posted a pick by 5pm today shall we ask for a new Adelaide selector?

I was thinking of asking an Adelaide draft poster like Thunderstruck or Nailuj in that case as Adelaide have a number of picks coming up.

What do you think?

benblinkau hasn't been active much, last seen late Friday night.

If he hasn't posted a pick by 5pm today shall we ask for a new Adelaide selector?

I was thinking of asking an Adelaide draft poster like Thunderstruck or Nailuj in that case as Adelaide have a number of picks coming up.

What do you think?

Ask Wayne’sWorld19 - he’s considered Adelaide’s best draft watcher.

Back