Competitions Port board tipping 2018 - New venue! Same Prizes!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne game came out a bit unexpected. On the BF Port board I got the full bonus point as my 35 was closest to the margin of 39. On the Port Adelaide fans and BF boards one tipster only tipped the exact 39. I'm still in the same position but I moved 1.5 points closer to top on the BF Port board and .5 closer on the others.

Getting closer but a 9/9 week would be most welcome. I haven't got a GSP like most of the top tipsters and it's holding me back. At one point I tipped 10 in a row correctly but it was over two rounds.
I'm 2nd and within 1.17 of top in the Port forum tipping, 2nd and within 1.5 for Port fans, 4th and within 4 in the BF overall tipping. There were at least two tipsters who got 9 right, who have now got into the top 10. In Global tipping I'm 23rd and 4.5 behind the lead. I'm also 4.5 off the lead in National but I'm 18th in that.Andre is the Port fan who is doing better than me but we're being beaten in the main tipping by a Richmond bloke called Watson.

This Superbru has the worst kind of scoring system: the kind that negatively effects me!

Two people above me on the Port board ladder who've picked fewer winners farken.

This Superbru has the worst kind of scoring system: the kind that negatively effects me!
Two people above me on the Port board ladder who've picked fewer winners farken.

I like the idea of the margin point but I don't like that you get .5 for being within 15 points but may only get .25 for the exact score. And a whole 3 points for 9/9 is my biggest bugbear. A tiny bit of bad luck, in my case Max Gawn missing an easy shot in the first round, prevented me from being top in every league.
Although this scoring system does help me, I am near the top in all leagues whereas in the Port website one which is tips and margin only I am 62nd and 5 tips off the lead. I suppose the main idea is that tipsters who are 200th early in a straight tipping competition don't have much chance of moving up, I have seen tipsters move up 900 places in one week so it gives an incentive to keep going.

Started off badly with the Swans coming through against Hawthorn. With the scores as they were I was looking at 1.5 points with about 3 minutes to go but ended up with nothing. Luckily my faith in Port paid off but I ruined that by inexplicably going for Brisbane at Etihad. Although they were very unlucky, they were 7 points down with the ball in the middle late in the last quarter and a free run to goal when a player handballed instead of kicked and the Bullies scored a goal. I have dropped down a few places but I'm only .5 more off the pace and but would be closer but for my brain fade with Brisbane, which must have been an accident. until I saw it I didn't even realise I had tipped Brisbane

Hawks annoyed, but close so salvaged the margin point there. Essendon losing just makes me retrospectively more angry about losing to them. Port is killing me in tipping this year. Tipped Port, we lose to Cats. Tipped North, we win. Tipped Port, we lose to West Coast. Tipped Adelaide we win.
I hate it when I tip Port even though I know we would lose but then I temper it with the knowledge that I would probably have tipped against them when we have won. 5-3 at the moment with Port so that's not bad. Wish there was an underdog point, only 18% tipped Port. Instead I just get one of these steenkin' badges which no self-respecting Mexican bandido needs.

Seems I also got a "brain implosion" badge which I got when I tipped a losing team that over 90% of tipsters went against(Brisbane over Western Bulldogs). I'm pretty sure that one was a mistake and I just didn't look at my tips.

Last edited:
Still some people making huge moves. One guy who got 9/9 and 8 margin points moved 544 places in national tipping, 767 in global tipping and 104 in Bigfooty tipping. I am still in the top 10 in BigFooty, Port Adelaide fans and BF Port forum but not getting anywhere. At least Watson did as badly as I did so I'm still within one good week of the lead. Got to within 3 on the Port website, I was 5 behind before this round but it appears some of the top tipsters were the ones who weren't going for Port. Funnily enough only 20% are going for North even though they have the injured GWS at Blundstone and only 27% are going for the Eagles at Optus.

What does the wooden spoon mean on Superbru? I had a bad round but surely not the worst in the group lol
Yep worst round in the group while the yellow cap is the best round in the group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picked Adelaide but I expected it to be a bit closer. Had 16 and when Adelaide were 26 up with a few minutes to go I had a margin point if the Bullies could have kicked a goal. Trouble was, hoping for that was like hoping for Barbara Eden to grant my every wish.

Checked back on all the results so far to see what I would have got if I had made all my tips with a margin of 30 points. Of course I could not take into account bonus points as that depends on what other people tip. The result was that I would have gotten 73.5 in win points and margin points. I have at the moment got 74 in win points and margin points.

Although there's nothing wrong with my tipping, 6/8 in a week where two extra-rough roughies got up, I have got less than some people as I have only one margin point. A margin point and bonus point in the Eagles game would keep me close to the top.

EDIT : With the Eagles leading by 46 points at 12 minutes in the last quarter it doesn't look as though I'll make up much ground on the leaders. 78% of tipsters have gone for the Eagles and even the margin point seems to be a lost cause now as I tipped 18. One tipster has tipped 26 but if the Eagles win by more than 66 he will not even get a bonus point. Probably unlikely, though.
I need Richmond to score a couple of goals and cut the margin to 33 so I can get a margin point and make up some lost ground.

SECOND EDIT : No-one gets a margin point as no-one is within 15. One tipster gets 2 points, 1 for the win and one bonus point. Did pretty well this week but still lost quite a bit of ground.

Last edited:
Collingwood in the last few seconds were 29 points up when the ball was marked inside 50 by Josh Daicos who kicked a goal so they won by 35. Got the full bonus point for Port BF as my tip of 30 was the highest. Had he kicked a behind I would have had a bonus point in all three competitions.

Bloody last goal by Collingwood, had them by 29, so at least still got the margin point. And up to 2nd in Bigfooty overall (for now). No closer to first though, still a full point behind.
10th to 9th in BF overall but didn't make up any space on the leader as I got 1.5 there like him. Stayed 4th in Port Adelaide fans and again didn't make up any space on the leader. Grabbed the bonus point in the last second and made up 1 point in the Port Adelaide forum tipsters. 67th and 3 tips off the lead on the portadelaidefc website.

Got West Coast right with a margin point. At the moment it looks like my tip of Melbourne will be right but my margin of 18 will be way off. Fortunately everyone else seems to be way off in fact possibly the only person who will get anything other than a win point will be the person ho tipped the highest margin(33) who will get a bonus point.

EDIT : Melbourne are 80 points up, the bonus point is not awarded if the closest margin is more than 40 points off.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back