Competitions Port Board: Ultimate Footy

I have joined. I know another Port supporter that would probably like to join if we need numbers.
Sounds good, we need at least 10 but can easily expand it if needed. It sounds like the option for a keeper league is pretty popular, anyone have any objections or questions about a keeper league?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'm keen to join but I'm already in an UF league. Can someone please tell me what day & time the draft is?
If its on the same day & time as my other league (19th March,7:30pm SA time), I might have to pass (sorry to be a pain)

I'll be super keen for a keeper league.
We haven't determined the exact time for the draft, I will try to find a time when everyone is available.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Ok, first we need at least 1 more player. (If we get more interest I can always go to 12 or 14 teams) - There is a thread I have created in the league respond either here or there.

It seems like most want to make this a keeper league, so if that is the general agreement then we will go ahead with a keeper league. If any one has any questions or objections, this is the place to discuss it.

For the draft date/time it is important that we are all available. I am pretty flexible on the time/date, weeknights are fine and most weekends are OK.

I'll propose a few dates - if people could give an indication that they will be free or if it is unavailable. (Round 1 starts 23/3 - so must be before then). Times are in AEDT time. e.g. if you are in SA 8:00 = 7:30.

Saturday 3/3 @ 8:00
Sunday 4/3 @ 8:00
Wednesday 8/3 @ 8:00
Saturday 10/3 @ 8:00
Sunday 11/3 @ 8:00
Tuesday 14/3 @ 8:00

Just give a response for any preferences or if any times are not possible. Being a keeper league it is important that we all participate in the draft.

LEAGUE RULES

Any feedback/discussion is welcome I am happy to go with the group consensus.

The draft order will start with a random order. It works as a snake draft eg. if you have pick 1 your next pick is pick 20, if you have pick 10 your next pick is 11. It swaps the order each round of the draft.

Captains - I have disabled them, we are only competing against each other, I think it gives too much of an advantage to the sides that have the first few picks.

Ladder tie-breaker - the options are percentage or highest score for, at the moment I have selected highest score - but don't care if we change it to percentage.

In season updates - If you have played AFL Fantasy you know player positions can be updated during the year eg. if Robbie Gray spends some time up forward he might go from a C to C/F. It is on at the moment.

Bye rounds - I have elected Skip the bye rounds (too much hassle to balance the side around) and next year you can't possibly plan for it). Keep in mind that Port Adelaide and Gold Coast have a round 10 bye and we will be playing that round. (there's not an option to skip that round).

Matchups will start in round one.

Round Lockout - I have at this stage elected to do it at the start of the round. This can suck a bit for Rounds that start on Thursday. The other options are First Saturday Game and Individual Game Times. The reason I have suggested the First Game of the Round, is basically like the Captains Loophole in Supercoach (ie. you watch the Friday Night game - put all your players on the bench, if they score well then carry a "floating donut" on the field. To me this goes against the spirit of the game. Feedback is welcome - if you need clarification just ask.

Free agents - If there is a player who is delisted, depending on their status they can go to a Restricted Free agent list for a period of 2 days. Other coaches can pick up these players, however there is a 2 day waiting period - you can't secure the player until the restricted period expires - if 2 or more players select that player then the player with the best RFA score gets the player, this is on a weekly rolling basis throughout the year, so it evens out, the other option is to allow the lowest team priority.

Trade Review Method - I have selected a coach veto option (4 people would have to object to a trade) - this is to prevent tanking or obviously one sided trades e.g. if someone is trading Rockliff for Zac Dawson there is something fishy about it. Don't use it for fun to block trades, but if it's an absolutely awful trade then it can be vetoed. The other option is to give the League Manager the veto power.

List size - at the moment I have gone with 5 Backs, 7 Mids, 5 Fwds, 1 Ruck with 1 emergency position for each line. I have emergencies covering their position ie Back for Banks, Mid for Mids - there is an option to have the emergencies to cover each position - I don't like it because you shouldn't be able to cover a missing Back with a Fwd or Mid.

List size - I have gone for 30 on the list 18 on field, 4 emergencies (this will allow for 8 backups on the bench) can increase or decrease it.

Time on Ground Threshold - Do you get annoyed when one of your starters gets injured 5 minutes into the game and you have to eat a sub par score - then this is for you. I have it set at 25% at the moment, so if a player has less than 25% game time then your emergencies score will count instead. It can be set anywhere between 5% - 95%. I think 25% is a nice figure, but happy to take feedback.

Scoring - I have left the scoring as standard dream team scoring - but all the scores are adjustable. e.g. If you want 9 points for a goal, or no points against for a free kick given away it can be done.

You're doing a fine job F2G.

My thoughts are as follows:

Do a slow online draft - getting everyone to be available for a fast online draft will likely be a nightmare. Going slow also allows for more banter as the draft progresses, and time for some research between picks. Having said that I think at this stage I could do a live fast draft on any of the dates and times you have listed.

The waiver order should probably be reverse of ladder order and reset every week - I feel this is particularly important in keeper leagues where the struggling teams need something to keep them interested and a chance to build a better squad.

TOG Threshold - 40% for mine. 25% seems too low.

Round Lockout - preferably first Saturday game of the round as we wont see teams for the weekend games when there are the Thursday night games. I think we need to have a gentleman's agreement that the use of the loophole is banned - as Commish you could change a line up if someone tries it on.

The rest I agree with.

Nov 6, 2015
Fremantle Dockers (AFLW)
Ok, first we need at least 1 more player. (If we get more interest I can always go to 12 or 14 teams) - There is a thread I have created in the league respond either here or there.

It seems like most want to make this a keeper league, so if that is the general agreement then we will go ahead with a keeper league. If any one has any questions or objections, this is the place to discuss it.

For the draft date/time it is important that we are all available. I am pretty flexible on the time/date, weeknights are fine and most weekends are OK.

I'll propose a few dates - if people could give an indication that they will be free or if it is unavailable. (Round 1 starts 23/3 - so must be before then). Times are in AEDT time. e.g. if you are in SA 8:00 = 7:30.

Just give a response for any preferences or if any times are not possible. Being a keeper league it is important that we all participate in the draft.
LEAGUE RULES

Any feedback/discussion is welcome I am happy to go with the group consensus.

The draft order will start with a random order. It works as a snake draft eg. if you have pick 1 your next pick is pick 20, if you have pick 10 your next pick is 11. It swaps the order each round of the draft.

Captains - I have disabled them, we are only competing against each other, I think it gives too much of an advantage to the sides that have the first few picks.

Ladder tie-breaker - the options are percentage or highest score for, at the moment I have selected highest score - but don't care if we change it to percentage.

In season updates - If you have played AFL Fantasy you know player positions can be updated during the year eg. if Robbie Gray spends some time up forward he might go from a C to C/F. It is on at the moment.

Bye rounds - I have elected Skip the bye rounds (too much hassle to balance the side around) and next year you can't possibly plan for it). Keep in mind that Port Adelaide and Gold Coast have a round 10 bye and we will be playing that round. (there's not an option to skip that round).

Matchups will start in round one.

Round Lockout - I have at this stage elected to do it at the start of the round. This can suck a bit for Rounds that start on Thursday. The other options are First Saturday Game and Individual Game Times. The reason I have suggested the First Game of the Round, is basically like the Captains Loophole in Supercoach (ie. you watch the Friday Night game - put all your players on the bench, if they score well then carry a "floating donut" on the field. To me this goes against the spirit of the game. Feedback is welcome - if you need clarification just ask.

Free agents - If there is a player who is delisted, depending on their status they can go to a Restricted Free agent list for a period of 2 days. Other coaches can pick up these players, however there is a 2 day waiting period - you can't secure the player until the restricted period expires - if 2 or more players select that player then the player with the best RFA score gets the player, this is on a weekly rolling basis throughout the year, so it evens out, the other option is to allow the lowest team priority.

Trade Review Method - I have selected a coach veto option (4 people would have to object to a trade) - this is to prevent tanking or obviously one sided trades e.g. if someone is trading Rockliff for Zac Dawson there is something fishy about it. Don't use it for fun to block trades, but if it's an absolutely awful trade then it can be vetoed. The other option is to give the League Manager the veto power.

List size - at the moment I have gone with 5 Backs, 7 Mids, 5 Fwds, 1 Ruck with 1 emergency position for each line. I have emergencies covering their position ie Back for Banks, Mid for Mids - there is an option to have the emergencies to cover each position - I don't like it because you shouldn't be able to cover a missing Back with a Fwd or Mid.

List size - I have gone for 30 on the list 18 on field, 4 emergencies (this will allow for 8 backups on the bench) can increase or decrease it.

Time on Ground Threshold - Do you get annoyed when one of your starters gets injured 5 minutes into the game and you have to eat a sub par score - then this is for you. I have it set at 25% at the moment, so if a player has less than 25% game time then your emergencies score will count instead. It can be set anywhere between 5% - 95%. I think 25% is a nice figure, but happy to take feedback.

Scoring - I have left the scoring as standard dream team scoring - but all the scores are adjustable. e.g. If you want 9 points for a goal, or no points against for a free kick given away it can be done.

Gee mate, super appreciate the effort and now never want to be a league commissioner :p

My thoughts are as follows:

Do a slow online draft - getting everyone to be available for a fast online draft will likely be a nightmare. Going slow also allows for more banter as the draft progresses, and time for some research between picks. Having said that I think at this stage I could do a live fast draft on any of the dates and times you have listed.

The waiver order should probably be reverse of ladder order and reset every week - I feel this is particularly important in keeper leagues where the struggling teams need something to keep them interested and a chance to build a better squad.

Round Lockout - preferably first Saturday game of the round as we wont see teams for the weekend games when there are the Thursday night games. I think we need to have a gentleman's agreement that the use of the loophole is banned - as Commish you could change a line up if someone tries it on.

The rest I agree with.

Agree with the draft and waiver order points, don't care too much about the other 2. Remember people, make sure you actually state what rules you do or do not like, as it'll only be trickier to change them in the following years when others get used to them.

I've never done a proper keeper league like this but would be keen to give it a crack.

Would we have to be at a computer all day for the draft though? That seems a hassle. Could we, for example (and I have no idea if this is possible) have a couple of hours to do say, rounds 1-5 and then do rounds after that at our own time (within reason?).

I've never done a proper keeper league like this but would be keen to give it a crack.

Would we have to be at a computer all day for the draft though? That seems a hassle. Could we, for example (and I have no idea if this is possible) have a couple of hours to do say, rounds 1-5 and then do rounds after that at our own time (within reason?).

There are options

Option 1 - A Live Draft - see my post about options for times. There is a time limt on pics 1 - 2 mins, the draft generally goes for about 2 - 3 hrs if everyone is there then the picks are generally pretty quick, you normally have an idea on who your next target will be (and then curse as he gets taken the pick before yours). We just have to make sure its a time when all are available.

Option 2 - Slow Draft - Has some flexibilty in that the timer can be set anywhere between 1 hr and 24 hrs and you can edit the hours of operation eg. set it to run between 6 - 10 every night.

Be aware that the game offers you an option to do a pre-draft ranking so that if you miss a pick it will pick the next player on your list. Not the best option though as you could find yourself overloaded in one area.

I think a live draft is the best option - but if everyone wants a slow draft I can go for that as well. I have never done a slow draft, so if I am wrong on something then let me know.

There are options

Option 1 - A Live Draft - see my post about options for times. There is a time limt on pics 1 - 2 mins, the draft generally goes for about 2 - 3 hrs if everyone is there then the picks are generally pretty quick, you normally have an idea on who your next target will be (and then curse as he gets taken the pick before yours). We just have to make sure its a time when all are available.

Option 2 - Slow Draft - Has some flexibilty in that the timer can be set anywhere between 1 hr and 24 hrs and you can edit the hours of operation eg. set it to run between 6 - 10 every night.

Be aware that the game offers you an option to do a pre-draft ranking so that if you miss a pick it will pick the next player on your list. Not the best option though as you could find yourself overloaded in one area.

I think a live draft is the best option - but if everyone wants a slow draft I can go for that as well. I have never done a slow draft, so if I am wrong on something then let me know.

If a whole live draft is only a few hours this is less of an issue I reckon, I wouldn't personally have a problem with doing one. I was under the impression it would be a whole day affair.

Nov 6, 2015
Fremantle Dockers (AFLW)
If a whole live draft is only a few hours this is less of an issue I reckon, I wouldn't personally have a problem with doing one. I was under the impression it would be a whole day affair.
Yeah I'm swinging back the other way too, don't mind a live draft as it also gives more room for mistakes and ridicule

On XT1635-02 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would lock the league at 10 coaches - given the large squads we will be drafting 300 players so there wont be much quality left.

As for the draft - I've always done slow drafts - usually stop the clock at about 22:00 and start it again at about 08:00 and allow about 4 hours per pick. You could start it on the 11th and we would be finished in time for the season. Each coach gets an email alert when it is their time to pick. I think a lot of the fun with the UF leagues is the draft - and if it is over in an hour it can be a bit anti-climatic and coaches will get stuck with players they dont really want which would be disappointing in a keeper league. I see on bigfooty most want to do a fast draft. I can do either and will go with the majority. Perhaps we need a poll.

I would lock the league at 10 coaches - given the large squads we will be drafting 300 players so there wont be much quality left.

As for the draft - I've always done slow drafts - usually stop the clock at about 22:00 and start it again at about 08:00 and allow about 4 hours per pick. You could start it on the 11th and we would be finished in time for the season. Each coach gets an email alert when it is their time to pick. I think a lot of the fun with the UF leagues is the draft - and if it is over in an hour it can be a bit anti-climatic and coaches will get stuck with players they dont really want which would be disappointing in a keeper league. I see on bigfooty most want to do a fast draft. I can do either and will go with the majority. Perhaps we need a poll.

If all players are in and on the ball, then a slow one is fine by me. My only experience with one was painful, but I can see the benefits if everyone is onboard.

Jul 21, 2009
Anfield, The KOP end
Liverpool, Green Bay, Red Sox

I agree with these

Agree with this too.
If you have anymore coaches, I think the squad sizes should be smaller.

Agree with the rest of the league rules you posted up Fade To Gray.

As for the draft, I've never done a slow draft before so could be fun.

IsDomIsGood I have started a conversation but can't seem to add you (maybe someone else could try)

Seems like most people want to try the slow draft - haven't tried it myself, but happy to try it.

These are the teams I'm pretty sure I have the owners right

Fade to Gray - 99 Problems
JuniorBurger - Simons Team
SureBuddy14 - Number1
Janus - Darren's Team
DaTBird187 - Cobra Kai FC
Jimmy Unchained - Jimmy Unchained
Waspy79 - The Wasp Nest

These are the teams I'm not sure
IsDomIsGood?- The Kloppinators
Fizzler? - Spud Muppets
jdeezy? - Thrillho

Now as to the start time, how about starting 10:00 AM (AEDST) - on Next Saturday and closing @ 10:00 PM (AEDST) each day. (I won't start it until I confirm everyone is ready). There will be a 4 hr time limit on each pick, so remember if you are not there to make a pick set your priority order in the game, Ideally you can make a pick in the time given. From what I understand you will receive an email alert when your pick is up.

I need a response from everyone to acknowledge those details are OK with them (I wan't everyone to participate as much as possible in the draft). If this is completely impossible for someone, then let me know.

If there are people who can't do this sort of draft, then perhaps people could also suggest a time to do a live draft.

Perhaps suggest some times that are good for you, but more importantly any times that are impossible.

Nov 6, 2015
Fremantle Dockers (AFLW)
IsDomIsGood I have started a conversation but can't seem to add you (maybe someone else could try)

Seems like most people want to try the slow draft - haven't tried it myself, but happy to try it.

SureBuddy14 - Number1
Janus - Darren's Team
Waspy79 - The Wasp Nest

Fizzler? - Spud Muppets
jdeezy? - Thrillho

Now as to the start time, how about starting 10:00 AM (AEDST) - on Next Saturday and closing @ 10:00 PM (AEDST) each day. (I won't start it until I confirm everyone is ready). There will be a 4 hr time limit on each pick, so remember if you are not there to make a pick set your priority order in the game, Ideally you can make a pick in the time given. From what I understand you will receive an email alert when your pick is up.

I need a response from everyone to acknowledge those details are OK with them (I wan't everyone to participate as much as possible in the draft). If this is completely impossible for someone, then let me know.

If there are people who can't do this sort of draft, then perhaps people could also suggest a time to do a live draft.

Perhaps suggest some times that are good for you, but more importantly any times that are impossible.
I am ok with a slow draft on the 25th of Feb starting at 10am AEDST.

On XT1635-02 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 21, 2009
Anfield, The KOP end
Liverpool, Green Bay, Red Sox

SureBuddy14 - Number1
Janus - Darren's Team
Waspy79 - The Wasp Nest

Fizzler? - Spud Muppets
jdeezy? - Thrillho

I have no idea why you can't add me. Same thing happen when Da TBird187 tried. I've checked my setting and can't see anything wrong.

Yep, I'm The Kloppinators.

I'm all good with the slow draft start date.

SureBuddy14 are you OK with the revised time? Please post in the conversation.

1. Slow draft - starting Saturday 11 March starting 10:00 am - running to 10:00 pm - time limit on picks every 4 hrs.

As a backup leave Saturday 19th March free, that way if the draft is not going as quickly as expected we could get a good chunk of it finished that night.