Port, Bulldogs, Demons and St Kilda DENIED top up players - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Would a player though? Dank and his type are still spruiking the effects of it, and the gym rats and washed up old codgers are buying it.

The transformation of Watson and other good players, to world beaters in one pre-season would surely be tempting to any other ok/good player out there.

Especially if you get paid on your break, even if you get caught.
There are reasons why they are being paid which would not be the case for individuals doping

Both your points are irrelevant
I disagree.

The club, who initiated and ran a doping program (as found by CAS), have not actually received any punishment for doping.

What we've learned is that if a club wants to run a doping program, you just sacrifice a couple numpties (with large payouts) and muddy the waters, destroy evidence and draw things out as long as you can, then the club itself suffers zero penalty.

Seems pretty straight forward.

I disagree.

The club, who initiated and ran a doping program (as found by CAS), have not actually received any punishment for doping.

What we've learned is that if a club wants to run a doping program, you just sacrifice a couple numpties (with large payouts) and muddy the waters, destroy evidence and draw things out as long as you can, then the club itself suffers zero penalty.

Seems pretty straight forward.
simple hey? Throw away 4 seasons, enjoy a loss of potentially 50 millions of dollars, lose all staff, lose a number of your best players, lose draft picks, enjoy being evicted from finals, lose massive amounts of reputation.....all for a season where you used a substance that improves recovery.

Sounds like a fair trade
So you're admitting here that it's a club sanctioned doping program (which to date hasn't actually been addressed by the AFL, just the potential for accidentally doping.)

Thanks for playing.
it was a club sanctioned program that crossed the line
The Collingwood blokes are being paid too though, aren't they?
dont think so, but I could be wrong
its called being cheaper than having to pay them lost wages because of the clubs proven negligence.
agree. I also think theyre being paid because the AFL believes the players were the victims

agree. I also think theyre being paid because the AFL believes the players were the victims

Your free to think what you like, but id be happy to bet you thats not why they are being paid. Its purelty a pragmatic solution that might help to prevent a major blowout in compensation later.

I do get it. I also think the other clubs should have been allowed to top up and also given the go ahead at the same time Essendon did so they could have a crack at the players Essendon had already signed if they liked

If they'd done it properly, they would have run it like a mini-draft, with clubs getting to pick in the normal order (but with Essendon having the most of their picks at the end). That way, any interested player (outside of rookies) could register, and clubs could either use a rookie, or choose one of those nominated in the draft. Simple, fair, professional.

But, instead, they did it in such a way as to favour the club that caused the issue in the first place.

I feel SO sorry for these clubs that used the supplements saga to poach players from us.

Poor Port Adelaide, who pressured Ryder to break his contract so they wouldn't have to trade.

Poor St Kilda, who threatened the same with Carlisle.

Melbourne, at least, played it above board. I feel for them.
Wonder why those players were so easily poached? Oh yeah, that's right - they got filled with drugs that nobody knows anything about. Essendon lost these players due to their own negligence. Not the other clubs' fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back