Port, Bulldogs, Demons and St Kilda DENIED top up players - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

January 15 AFL announces details of rules relating to Essendon top ups.
February 5 AFL announces ruling on top ups for other clubs.

Most competent organisations would have have had in place a contingency plan relating to all players/clubs, which could have been announced immediately following the CAS determination.
They waited so that EFC could get the best available players first. Disgraceful.

We're on the same wave length.

Banning the VFL team is the dumbest idea yet. "I know lets punish people that had nothing to do with it, huzzah."

Its not a ban on the VFL side, its requiring the top ups to come from the VFL side, and if that shuts down the VFL side for the year so be it. its far from the dumbest idea in the saga by the way - and abusing people who are pointing this out is a sure fire way to get yourself banned.

Should have gone to some sort of draft. Im honestly surprised it didnt once other clubs were involved.

Yes and no.

For fairness, yes.

But to try and get Essendon to be even moderately competitive this year, they really needed the cream of the 'leftovers' they had available to choose from.

Yes and no.

For fairness, yes.

But to try and get Essendon to be even moderately competitive this year, they really needed the cream of the 'leftovers' they had available to choose from.

We needed a team to fulfill fixture and broadcast commitments. I dont give a crap if they get flogged every week. If the AFL had any integrity they wouldnt be in the comp at all this year.

We needed a team to fulfill fixture and broadcast commitments. I dont give a crap if they get flogged every week. If the AFL had any integrity they wouldnt be in the comp at all this year.

I agree, but as you say, there were commitments requiring an 18th club, and if it's going to play, then it follows it shouldn't be a *complete* embarrassment.

Standing EFC down for a year, and moving all of it's remaining players (+top ups & facilities) to a team that will only exist for one year would have met most of the requirements. There probably would have been any number of related legal issues however, so it was far simpler (especially <3 months out from the start of the season) to follow this route.

January 15 AFL announces details of rules relating to Essendon top ups.
February 5 AFL announces ruling on top ups for other clubs.

Most competent organisations would have have had in place a contingency plan relating to all players/clubs, which could have been announced immediately following the CAS determination.
Pretty sure the AFL did state at the time that the other clubs would not be allowed to recruit top up players.

Yesterday's decision was the AFL's response to the other clubs asking the AFL to review the initial decision.

Last edited:
I agree, but as you say, there were commitments requiring an 18th club, and if it's going to play, then it follows it shouldn't be a *complete* embarrassment.

Standing EFC down for a year, and moving all of it's remaining players (+top ups & facilities) to a team that will only exist for one year would have met most of the requirements. There probably would have been any number of related legal issues however, so it was far simpler (especially <3 months out from the start of the season) to follow this route.
No, I completely and utterly disagree.

It SHOULD be an embarrassment. It SHOULD be whatever level of humiliation naturally occurs as a result of a club being busted doping 34 of its players.

If anyone can offer a decent reason as to why it shouldn't - aside from adding a few extra bucks into the AFL Commission (and all the execs bonuses) then I'd like to hear it.

It SHOULD be an embarrassment. It SHOULD be whatever level of humiliation naturally occurs as a result of a club being busted doping 34 of its players.

If anyone can offer a decent reason as to why it shouldn't - aside from adding a few extra bucks into the AFL Commission (and all the execs bonuses) then I'd like to hear it.

Difference between embarrassing for the club and embarrassing for the league.

I'd be all for embarrassing the club, but I'd rather not mess the season up too much to do it...

Personally, rather than banning the club for a year, I'd give them a penalty in premiership points...Either in total, or -1 per 'win' for their next 20(?) wins.

You don't prop a team up that's cheated just for the sake of an even competition. That is condoning drugs in sport
Let them run with youngsters from the burbs and if they cannot stay afloat financially bad luck. Great opportunities for some kids.
There must be consequences for the deliberate effort to cheat and then cover up.

You don't prop a team up that's cheated just for the sake of an even competition. That is condoning drugs in sport
Let them run with youngsters from the burbs and if they cannot stay afloat financially bad luck. Great opportunities for some kids.
There must be consequences for the deliberate effort to cheat and then cover up.

AFL is soft on drugs

I think it's more the numbers...Most teams need 30 odd players each year just to cover injuries, add a few more to try and get positions even roughly right, and you probably need at least 35 (probably more, because those kids will get thumped and probably injured more than more mature bodies).

So they pick up a dozen guys who were retired/delisted and generally not up to playing on the lists of current teams....They're only making up the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There lies your answer Wookie.

There lies your answer Wookie.

Bit rough, perhaps you can explain to me when the VFL or SANFL or NBL or NRL had integrity, they have and always have been businesses, the show must go on, footy is just a filler between when you live and when you die.

The romance of football in your youth is like anything else, it gets smashed by the realities of life, football is a business that is pulled and swayed in many hundreds of directions by people with a hundred different ideas and hundred different agendas, some good some bad.

People need to get over this idea that lack of integrity in football is a new thing, most people, most football fans follow their team and do not get involved in the politics, because politics is messy and politics hurts, everyone knows that.

I certainly can't. The AFL despite other opinion is not a business, where fair competition and rules reign. It's a cabal where outcomes are fixed by the ruling class in the name of a fuzzy brand. Rules are rubbery, principles are subject to case by case changes, integrity is a word, and no ones word is meaningful. The great beneficiaries are the commission and their networks. Most fans are living in a delusional matrix in which no fix is in. Circuses and over priced crap bread.

Last edited:
Difference between embarrassing for the club and embarrassing for the league.

I'd be all for embarrassing the club, but I'd rather not mess the season up too much to do it...

Personally, rather than banning the club for a year, I'd give them a penalty in premiership points...Either in total, or -1 per 'win' for their next 20(?) wins.
don't agree. one club doesn't mess up a season, look at melbourne etc - the comp survives

absolute lack of afl integrity

I certainly can't. The AFL despite other opinion is not a business, where fair competition and rules reign. It's a cabal where outcomes are fixed by the ruling class in the name of a fuzzy brand. Rules are rubbery, principles are subject to case by case changes, integrity is a word, and no ones word is meaningful. The great beneficiaries are the commission and their networks. Most fans are living in a delusional matrix in which no fix is in. Circuses and over priced crap bread.

LOL, That is exactly what big business is, those with their snouts in trough enjoy, then there are those trying to get their snouts in the trough, then there is a big % of people who can never get their snouts in the trough and lastly there is a % of people who don't want to get their snouts in the trough but still use the business.

LOL, That is exactly what big business is, those with their snouts in trough enjoy, then there are those trying to get their snouts in the trough, then there is a big % of people who can never get their snouts in the trough and lastly there is a % of people who don't want to get their snouts in the trough but still use the business.
Welcome back Mr Mediums.

I actually agree with top ups for Essendon to protect underdeveloped first-year and rookie players having to play every game and jeopardising their careers. Those players really are innocent in this whole saga. BUT if the AFL is creating extraordinary rules to protect the on-field performance of a cheating club then they should be playing for no points in 2016. They should have zero opportunity to compete for a premiership when they're playing by different rules to everyone else. And they should go to the bottom of the 2016 draft order too.

I also agree with no top ups for the other clubs too. It's actually a rare case of consistency with other cases of suspensions pending from previous clubs eg Tippet, Dean Bailey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back