Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We won. Happy with it and we'll move on. Scrappy first half, a polished 3rd where we clinically put it away and a disgraceful last that should not be blamed upon being 1 down or tired because it's only going to get harder. Realistically it just wasn't good enough and has happened several times this year already.

Importantly I enjoyed some of the work of our defence after the first term. We also saw a few exciting moments and a few outstanding players. Amon, Wines, Gray, Mitch and DBJ all very good.

Hope that we have a solid week on the track and don't let this weeks finish roll into next week. 4 Huge games over the next 4 weeks are going to test us massively, and we need to be as sharp as possible. Hope Houston is only a 2-4 week AC, fingers crossed.

Bit worried about the 4 upcoming games given the sore bodies atm.

I'd take 2 wins personally.

Imagine putting a hard tag on Boak who then puts the hard tag on your best midfielder whilst still getting 28 himself and effectively removing two players from the game.

The only downside was that once Cripps got taken out of the game he stopped burning the ball and kicking it to Port players.

Really strong win. Playing back at the MCG after nearly 2 years and backing up against a hugely physical Richmond in an epic struggle last week.

Lost Hartlett and Houston by quarter time. And were carrying a few with minor injuries in the game.

We played some exciting systematic footy. Sure there were too.many untidy moments but plenty of good signs.

Tall forwards worked well together, Marshall and Georgiades leading the charge.

Some cameos from small forwards.

Bergman really stepping up. A bit too cute with a couple of kicks but some of his run and rebound was scintillating.

Jones couple of iffy moments but wow does he attack the ball like a honey badger. Kick it long and high near him? Forget it he kills it. Not a lot of recognition for some of those pack spoils.

Aliir and Clurey were so strong in defence with some silk from Burton.

Boak was colossal, just ripped his tag apart

Lycett a beast in ruck, turned it into a brawl.

Amon worked so hard and used the ball well on the whole.

Woodcock did some good things, contributed solidly.

Drew was busy and won plenty of ball in tight. Should have goaled.

This was a danger game and we slowly crushed the life from it.

Hit the ice baths and prepare for the Saints next week.

injured, sore, exhausted, flat but did enough to wrestle control and bank the 4 points in the 3rd

not a bad result but perhaps we were lucky to come up against carlton rather than a better side given the unsettled side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with that win and performance after last week, especially to get it done so early and be able to cruise to a easy win.

Hopefully Houston's injury isn't to bad, and the 8 days off will help the group.

Onto the Saints next week, not sure what St Kilda will turn up.

Looks like Rocky may be back, wouldn't surprise me if SPP returns next week as well.

Limp over the line with whoever's left stuff at the moment. We should account for the Saints, but unfortunately Brisbane getting mojo back just at the wrong time for us.
Sadly, I also fear that we are going to get absolutely belted by Brisbane due to so many outs.

Great to get the win. The amount of injuries we got will test us in the next month with big games ahead but if we can grind out wins like tonight I will be pleased.

Be honest, anyone think Amon could produce that? And on a consistent basis?

Also Bergman’s workrate is excellent but he burnt the ball 5-6 times. Sort that and he will be something.

I did bag Amon 2 years ago, not sure I have ever seen a player change my opinion so much. His goal to goal running is elite.

Fox Footy talking about Trav like he’s 67 years old.

Okay, he’s 32, but he’s 32. 🤷‍♀️
It’s because he will be playing like this at 67.

We will handle this little injury crisis because for the first time in as long as i can remember we have good systems in place. Players like Bergman, Drew, Jones, Mayes, even Woodcock, slotted in like seasoned team members who all knew their roles. That is why we will be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back