Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite moment was on three-quarter time when the Carlton fans started booing the umps and Sam Walsh had a tantrum because he wasn't paid a mark that was taken clearly after the siren. What a sorry, miserable bunch that club is.

Real happy with the win - many here identified it as a danger game and we treated it as such. Did what we needed to do and move on.

For those who watched (was out for dinner), what happened to Hartlett and Houston? Enough to keep them out next week?

Lachie Jones for rising star.

Absolute beast

Love Lachie but he's not even the best rising star eligible player in our team. He's gotta beat Mitch Georgiades to it first.

Carlton won the inside 50s. Had plenty of scoring shots too. Probably not a great performance but we got it done via superior system and talent.

We have a game now where we seem more than happy for oppositions to bang it inside 50 and then use it as a springboard for our own attack. "Inside 50" is about the most useless stat in the game.

I think we’ve finally got the players to play the system. That helps too. Hard to play talls and to a structure if the players aren’t up to it.

The other side of that coin is that we didn't try very hard to develop players to play in the structure because we didn't see structure as important. Marshall and Georgiades, assuming they continue on their current trajectories, will be the first KPFs we've developed to being good quality AFL players since Tredrea. I don't think we've just been unlucky for 20 years.

My favourite moment was on three-quarter time when the Carlton fans started booing the umps and Sam Walsh had a tantrum because he wasn't paid a mark that was taken clearly after the siren. What a sorry, miserable bunch that club is.

Real happy with the win - many here identified it as a danger game and we treated it as such. Did what we needed to do and move on.
Yes. Self entitled bunch of losers who have achieved didley squat for nigh on a quarter of a century. Got their own way via a cheque book in the old days, then resorted to cheating and have been s**t ever since.

Everyone's signing Lachie Jones's praises while I thought he actually had a bit of a dirty night. Probably I just have a hyper-critical microscope on him and notice the mistakes because he's so awesome.
Yup I'm in the same boat.

Can see he is going to be a player, but his ball handling was off. He managed to get out of the situation anyway, but unnecessary pressure and won't always get Away with it

The thing is, you don't have to be playing your best footy in April - at this stage, I'm more than happy to be banking the wins, and build on the momentum as finals get closer. Very solid, workmanlike performance: bring on the Saints.

We have a game now where we seem more than happy for oppositions to bang it inside 50 and then use it as a springboard for our own attack. "Inside 50" is about the most useless stat in the game.

Yep. With the more open game this year we seem to be trying to slow the opposition down and push them wide now instead of trying to force front half turnovers as a priority. Then when they do go inside 50 it's under pressure and we're set up and ready to intercept and rebound hard.

We spent 3 years playing a style where we'd just bang the ball inside 50 because we'd sabermetrically decided that i50s=goals without actually having any set plan on how to score once it was in there. It was some of the most infuriating football I've ever seen. More than once we had more i50s than points scored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no. It can sometimes indicate the midfield had an average night and or we had some trouble clearing it and it kept coming back in.

I don't feel like either of those things were the case tonight though. Midfield were not amazing though.

Aliir Aliir, what a player. Very happy to have bought his badge after the game :D

Everyone just had him written off a few years ago, so he just feels extra old.

Yeah that was weird. He got moved out of the midfield but his legs hadn’t gone and he was running harder than ever.

Would make as much sense as Melbourne moving Max Gawn to the back pocket.

Team, Q1 - Q2 - Q3 - Q4
CAR, 3.3 - 2.2 - 2.5 - 3.4
POR, 4.2 - 4.2 - 6.1 - 1.1

Team, H1 - H2
CAR, 5.5 - 5.9
POR, 8.4 - 7.2

It’s amazing what happens when you kick straight, isn’t it?

At 3QT, the score was:

CAR - 7.10, 17:52
POR - 14.5, 19:89

Two more scoring shots for a 37-point lead.

Carlton were like witches cones at times.

Best moment of the night was during the goal review and a Carlton fan yells "check Murphy's hands - you'll be able to tell if he's touched it".

A patchy performance but just found a way to outclass an inferior opposition at key stages to put a W on the board. This is something we've done particularly well since the start of 2020 - not getting beaten by bad teams even when we're not playing our best football.

We probably started the game slowly and finished it slowly. The middle two quarters we controlled defensively and made it really difficult for Carlton to move the ball forward of centre. This ultimately set up the win.

We needed some of our experienced mids to stand up in the absence of Butters and Duursma, and that they did. Wines was a beast from start to finish. Boak worked through the tag to have a strong game. Amon was superb.

Thought Aliir was excellent. Clurey was also great tonight and I tend to be a big critic of his so that's saying something. These two controlled the air whilst the two youngsters in Jones and Bergman did the business at ground level. Both of these guys sometimes look like mature and reliable footballers but then do something silly moments later that reminds you they are still juniors. DBJ returned to form finally. Jonas was poor though, he needs to lift big time because he can play much, much better than he has been.

Marshall was great, as was Georgiades. With all of the attention Dixon gets from the opposition, at least one of these guys should be getting off the chain every week.

Lowlight was obviously Houston's injury. We're losing some good ones at the moment. Just have to deal with it I guess.

A patchy performance but just found a way to outclass an inferior opposition at key stages to put a W on the board. This is something we've done particularly well since the start of 2020 - not getting beaten by bad teams even when we're not playing our best football.

We probably started the game slowly and finished it slowly. The middle two quarters we controlled defensively and made it really difficult for Carlton to move the ball forward of centre. This ultimately set up the win.

We needed some of our experienced mids to stand up in the absence of Butters and Duursma, and that they did. Wines was a beast from start to finish. Boak worked through the tag to have a strong game. Amon was superb.

Thought Aliir was excellent. Clurey was also great tonight and I tend to be a big critic of his so that's saying something. These two controlled the air whilst the two youngsters in Jones and Bergman did the business at ground level. Both of these guys sometimes look like mature and reliable footballers but then do something silly moments later that reminds you they are still juniors. DBJ returned to form finally. Jonas was poor though, he needs to lift big time because he can play much, much better than he has been.

Marshall was great, as was Georgiades. With all of the attention Dixon gets from the opposition, at least one of these guys should be getting off the chain every week.

Lowlight was obviously Houston's injury. We're losing some good ones at the moment. Just have to deal with it I guess.
Great review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back