Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You know jimmy bartel? One of the greats, Brownlow medallist? Yeh? Absolute matchinner? Yeh

his best games wouldn’t get anywhere near bartels
Lol he literally won a game for us last week. I see a future champion in Willem Drew and I stand with wry smile and sultry gaze in defiance of your smears good sir.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That was mildly satisfying, given the obvious hindrance of not having fully recovered from the big effort last week. Players like Rozee and Jonas looked especially sore, but contributed, and along with the corkie to Hammer, the probable AC to Houston and a couple of other visible niggles, I can forgive the last quarter neutralisation of the scoreboard.

It was a professional, comfortable win over an opponent who were below our standard but tried hard. We conceded more i50 than usual; barely broke even in contested possession (typically one of our strengths) and also lost the clearances, centre clearances and tackle stats. But we were far cleaner with the ball than Carlton, and moved it much better to a more dangerous forward line. The senior midfielders Boak and Wines were fantastic - well done to Boak for breaking the Curnow tag and getting his hands dirty. Lycett was a warrior, unassisted in ruck, and Amon is now brilliant to watch.

But this win was built on defence. Aliir was BOG. He reads the ball so well, and destroyed McGovern while helping TC quell McKay, but he is also creative and attacking in his mindset. A great acquisition. Clurey was also magnificent tonight, as was Burton, and DBJ returned to his bustling, uncompromising best.

Jonas - Took Casboult, and got buffeted off the ball a few times tonight. Probably an indication of a sore body, for mine, but he fought through manfully, and his communication with Aliir is developing - they rarely flew at the same intercept tonight, and were visibly communicating behind play. 7/10

Burton - Finally getting a consistent stretch in the team and showing what a valuable player he is. Matches up well on medium marking forwards, had Williamson for a lot of tonight and destroyed him in the air and on the ground. 8/10

Marshall - One of his best games. Took 9 marks as a roaming half-forward and kicked a goal, but his creativity and skills have gone to a new level. Had 15 kicks and allowed room ahead of him for the small forwards to go to work. 8/10

Houston - Off injured after a fine start in the middle, but it didn't look overly serious, perhaps just an A/C and he was laughing with the other players afterwards. May miss a week and be fresh for the Showdown, with luck. 2/10

Motlop - Invisible performance. Didn't do a lot wrong, but the ball didn't go near him enough. 3/10

Hartlett - Provided the humourous relief for the evening, playing with a corkie and hobbling around like me after any sort of physical exercise. Got the feeling that he felt obliged to stay out there after Rozee did the same last week, and again, with an 8 day break, he can be expected to front up next week. 5/10

Gray - Superstar. Was in everything early, when the game was there to be won, and does some of the most magical things on a footy field. That final term tap-spin-gather-spin, then pass to the one-legged Hartlett was incredible, and his 3 goals shows that he is far from a spent force. 8/10

Boak - What can I say, he is the heartbeat and inspiration of this club. Accepted the tag from Curnow, who has got him a few times in the past, but fought through it by going in and getting the hard ball. 17 of his 28 disposals were contested, and though the hard work meant that his efficiency was down, he was vastly influential tonight. 9/10

Fantasia - Kicked a couple of classic forward crumbers goals. It has been surprising to me how quick he is, and what good goal-sense he has, and he is smart enough to hang around Charlie or Gergi's feet. 7/10

Bergman - Really good return to the team. Looks every bit an AFL standard footballer, probably graduating to a wing at some stage, but tonight he was assured and dashing off half-back, and had a couple of bursting dashes through the centre. He does need to work on his disposal, if I'm being picky, but he is a huge part of our present and our future. 7/10

Amon - Superb game on his wing, and attended some centre bounces tonight. Karl has developed into a dashing, skilled outside player who is willing and able to get his own ball, and he is so valuable to us as a left-footer. His defensive work tonight was also brilliant; it was one of his best all-round games, in what is becoming a stellar career that has snuck up on everyone. 9/10

Wines - I thought he was our best, along with Amon. He had 2 disposals not with great efficiency or style, but with great effectiveness as an inside bull who could get the ball in our control. Has great hands in tight, and isnow not rushing his disposal but trusting his strength to be able to get his hands free. 9/10

Clurey - Superb game from Tommy, beat McKay in nearly every aerial contest, with a little help, and held multiple intercept marks. Never going to be the sexy defender who gets talked up, but does his job most weeks and is reliable with the ball in hand. 7.5/10

Georgiades - Looked like he would tear the game apart in the first half. He is the prototype modern footballer, good at ground level, a balanced runner who gets around the field with ease and a strong mark. But his set-shot kicking is his point of difference - he never looks like missing with that straight run-up and action. Fell out of the game a bit after half-time, and when he develops that consistency during games that young players lack, he will be a star of the league. 8/10

Rozee - Looked to be still suffering the effects of last weeks thigh thumping. Took a long time to get moving, playing mostly up forward, but finally showed some spark in the last, when the heat was out of the game. 5/10

Aliir - Forming a formidable combination with TC and TJ down back, and was most viewers selection as BOG. The fact is that he is now being talked about in the same breath as the best intercept defenders in the league, but he does take responsibility for a forward as well as helping his mates out. And his first thought once he wins the ball is attack/go forward, which is perfect for the way the game is evolving. 9/10

Dixon - Thought he was good tonight, his hands were as clean as they have been for a long time at ground level. Is playing more as a CHF with Georgi and the smalls as permanent forwards, and is the regular target of the kick-ins from full-back. I just loved the one-hand pluck from the sky, that must be so demoralising for his opponent, and Weitering is a good defender. 7/10

Drew - Injury sub, who was activated after half-time in place of Houston. Got a lot of the ball in a half, and for maybe the first time, he looked to have found the composure that the likes of Ollie have when he wins a hard ball. 5/10

Lycett - Manful performance as solo ruck, with very few spells. Marshall took a couple of centre bounces, but otherwise it was Scotty versus 2 rotating Blues rucks, yet he kept battling. Gave away a few late frees through exhaustion, and we will be forced to give him some support or rest at times throughout the season, but he is a tough man, and deserved his goal tonight more than anyone. 8/10

Mayes - Sammy will always be a solid AFL footballer. Slotted in nicely, and took on Hammer's role when injury made him a defensive risk. Mayesie never made a glaring mistake, and gave some fantastic composure to the defence. He is probably not best 22, but is crucial depth, and will play lots of footy this season. 6/10

Byrne-Jones - Back to his best, a bustling and desperate performance. Darce gives so much effort; he runs as hard as he can to impact contests and prevent the opponent from free movement, and tonight he got to the contests in time to spoil on many occasions. Not only that, but he then creates and distributes the ball crisply. Despite his AA last year, he is still one of the most under-rated defenders in the league. 8/10

Jones - Made some rookie errors, as Ken told us he would, but he is so vigorous at the ball that it is bound to happen. What I like is his presence in defence, and as he develops he will become a beast that harkens back to the olden days of VFL/SANFL football. He exudes Port Adelaide footballer; we should bottle his sweat and sell it as PA Cologne! 6/10

Woodcock - I thought he was perfectly fine tonight, taking Butters' role as high half-forward. He put pressure on i50, kicked a beautiful goal and did not look out of place at all in one of the top teams in the league. Again, probably not best 22 but will be a reliable backup when needed. 6/10

A word on the coaching. I thought that the coaching team, and by extension Ken Hinkley, won the battle of the boards tonight. They had a lot to deal with during the game, but made savvy moves like Mayes to defence, Boak onto Crips and giving Bergman some attacking licence, and they all worked. No Carlton player was allowed to get off-leash for too long, and they clearly had an influence on the result. It was a good win, some more injury worries with Houston, Hartlett and cumulatively sore players but we can recall Rockliff for the midfield battles and are in a good position at 4-1 going into a Sunday night game against the Saints who will cop a bit from the media pack this week. We owe them for last season's loss at home, but they cannot possibly kick 12.1 again, and we should have had that game sewn up by the final term.
Great review and what I find most refreshing is the respect shown to all 23 players even if some players had relatively quiet nights - the 23 all put in efforts that enabled us to win last night.
Good effort, let’s take those important 4 points and prepare for the Anzac Day clash against the Saints and aim for that sell out sign to be posted outside the oval on game day.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol he literally won a game for us last week. I see a future champion in Willem Drew and I stand with wry smile and sultry gaze in defiance of your smears good sir.
We can agree to disagree

he did play well but you might have overplayed how well he played.

Relativity

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port
How good has Karl Amon become, the way he moves through traffic is amazing. Almost our most valuable player.

I think it was in the last quarter on the boundary where he feigned to run and kick backward of center only to turn inward and thread the Carlton defenders. He made them look silly. Ridiculously skillfull. Robbie Gray-esque. Has a real problem with OOTF though.

steve4445

All Australian
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought the umpiring was fine for the first time in a while, if anything it probably favoured us which is a nice change against the blues.

Carlton created probably one goal from structured play. Everything else was dump it in the forward line and hope. Defensively we had them totally controlled. They scored a ridiculous number of goals from rubbish entries that fell into the hands of a player standing around scratching his arse, freak kicks or umpire's largesse.

We were much more constructive with our play but went for the precision option too often and gave up the ball. Or a couple of times a little fumble when we had them split open. But at least we were trying to hit up targets and some of our F50 entries and positioning were superb.

Even with any two fit players to replace Houston and Hartlett we would have won by at least 60. Or something better than a 1-9 free kick count in the last.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It takes time for players to feel comfortable at afl level and despite his age he has only played 15 games at the level. Drew will grow to be an offensive/defensive mid, his absolute ceiling is a Jimmy bartel like player. With his height and football IQ he has the ability to get forward and back and become an aerial threat, while being defensive minded at stoppages but works hard to become a link man.

Nah

Bartel won a Brownlow and was one of the best players in the comp for a period.

Drew hasn't the foot skills or the marking ability of someone like Bartel.

I'm unsure if Drew will even make it at this stage. Last night when he came on he was good and he's played some decent footy but he's also played games where he's been invisible - usually against better quality sides. That might be experience, or it just may be he can't compete at this level against the best.

He's still young in terms of games so has some time on his side but there is no chance at all he'll reach the heights of a player like Bartel.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i was really impressed with Bergman, i watched his disposal and i think he did 1 clanger in the third and the rest was pretty good, Jones looks like he struggled with the pace of the game and constantly turned the ball over, id be replacing him with leinart, mckenzie or bonner.
Three clanger kicks in a row (last kick of the 2nd and his first two in the 3rd) but other than that a very decent performance. He looked like he can really contribute something significant at AFL level this year, as did Jones. We will need both of them to have Butters/Duursma 2019 levels of impact over the next ten weeks to make sure we win enough games to finish top 4.

What I liked about Drew's game last night was the level of energy he brought to his game. He's not quick but by his standards he zipped around like an Energizer bunny and really tried to get involved. He handled the ball plenty of times, pity he choked in front of goal with the run in shot.

That's the sort of effort he has to bring every week. He has to put his selection beyond doubt in the minds of the selectors.

He's only played a handful of games so there is still development in him. He's clever in tight and has a quick football brain.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I only noticed the umpires last night as I was holding on to my butt, flinching that every time the whistle blew it would be the start of an avalanche of the usual, but thankfully it wasn't THAT BAD until the game was safe.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I liked about Drew's game last night was the level of energy he brought to his game. He's not quick but by his standards he zipped around like an Energizer bunny and really tried to get involved. He handled the ball plenty of times, pity he choked in front of goal with the run in shot.

That's the sort of effort he has to bring every week. He has to put his selection beyond doubt in the minds of the selectors.

He's only played a handful of games so there is still development in him. He's clever in tight and has a quick football brain.
He demanded the footy yesterday and made sure he got to ground balls and loose balls ahead of opponents and even teammates. I love players who have that mindset.

Back