Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Im not saying he is going to reach that ceiling as consistently as Bartel, but his absolute best games will be on par with Bartels.
Drew's best will be on par with an average Bartel game, at best.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Having just watched the replay..Port got the job done.To strong in the air for Carlton. Better drilled game plan.Better use of the football.Thought Carlton's leg speed around the ground could cause Port a problem.But there inside 50 entry's are terrible.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
80000 members!
It will reflect the state of AFL if they fold.
Roos yes Blues no

To put my post into some context I was actually responding in part to a since deleted dummy spit post from a sour grapes Carlton supporter.

To put my post into some context I was actually responding in part to a since deleted dummy spit post from a sour grapes Carlton supporter.

Was he an unbiased carlton man?

We can be a bit of a funeral if the crowd senses a what happen unfolding. Imagine 25 years of what happen.

Bit different though, as it's very rare carlton are actually expected to beat anyone. In that respect it's probably a bit fun to be a Carlton fan since you can go to every game with no expectations. 2011 etc. was good like that. Some of the best times i've had at the footy were in those years where footy was just a few hours of us bantering about how s**t we are between Butcher kicking goals.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Continuing the theme of pretty drastic player comparisons i thought Bergman had proper Easton Wood vibes about him especially during that first quarter. Immense in the air and on the ground quick and skillful although he did shank a couple. All of the tricks of the trade are there and i am very very confident he will make it. Just needs more games but it will come in time

Continuing the theme of pretty drastic player comparisons i thought Bergman had proper Easton Wood vibes about him especially during that first quarter. Immense in the air and on the ground quick and skillful although he did shank a couple. All of the tricks of the trade are there and i am very very confident he will make it. Just needs more games but it will come in time

So disappointed he didn't nail that kick after he burst through the middle from half back. Was the first real "wow" moment i've seen him produce.

Eighteen Seventy

Senior List
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Possibly unpopular opinion but I don't think Rozee has any natural midfield instincts. Doesn't know how to position or when to break off to get the ball on the run.
Not terribly fussed by this, I prefer him being predominantly forward. What I do want to see from him though is for him to be less selfless in front of goal. There's been plenty of times where he should've had a shot on goal but either kicked it to a contest or passed it off to a player in no better position than he was to kick for goal.

Feb 6, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I liked about Drew's game last night was the level of energy he brought to his game. He's not quick but by his standards he zipped around like an Energizer bunny and really tried to get involved. He handled the ball plenty of times, pity he choked in front of goal with the run in shot.

That's the sort of effort he has to bring every week. He has to put his selection beyond doubt in the minds of the selectors.

He's only played a handful of games so there is still development in him. He's clever in tight and has a quick football brain.
Agree with the above, but have to remember he came on to the field fresh whilst others had played nearly 3 quarters of football. He should be supercharged and playing like he knows he isn’t going to have to play another 3 quarters after.

In saying that he fired in the last quarter last week as part of a full game.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
A difficult win given the amount of sore players out there. That’s 2 wins in a row where injuries have meant we have limped over the line. That shows we are a team with an eye on the prize and prepared to roll up the sleeves when necessary to get the win.

Aliir, Amon, Byrne-Jones, Wines and Boak all excellent.

My main concern is the fringe players. Bergman was good but Woodcock, Mayes, Jones did not take their chance. Injuries mean they will get another shot but some of the players 18-25 need to make a case for the First XVIII if we are to be a threat.

Jonas- good solid game
Burton- composed but needs to do more
Marshall- played to the level we need him to
Houston- BOG until injured
Motlop- good but will need to step up soon
Hartlett- only passable before he was injured
Gray- very good. Stepped into the Butters role who had stepped into the Gray role.
Boak- beat a hard tag. His hands were excellent
Fantasia- good. His pace is excellent and he is constantly contributing
Bergman- very good game. Finding the ball and using it well.
Amon- BOG. Excellent. Got plenty and used it superbly. His goal was a gem. Is he stepping up a level again?
Wines- beast. Got the better of Cripps.
Clurey- took full advantage of their short forward line and indiscriminate kicks inside 50. His best game for a while.
Georgiades- an very good game for the third tall. That is his best role.
Rozee- looked sore but still showed bursts of pace and composure. Does he need to be rested?
Aliir- excellent game. Not only won the 50/50s but the 40/60s and the odd 30/70. Pushed up also.
Dixon- is getting closer to beast mode but adds so much anyway
Drew- took advantage of the others around him slowing down to look good
Lycett- won the ruck but that was expected
Mayes- he’s a better player than he showed. Confidence not there yet. Played a role but could be a more damaging player
Byrne-Jones- that was more like his form last year. Very good
Jones- we can all see the potential but he will have to cut out those free kicks. Hasn’t yet got the pace
Woodcock- got enough of it but didn’t use it as well as he needed to

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Havent seen anyone mention this yet but someone that needs a roast is Steven Motlop. Had a piss poor game.

11 disposals 1 behind AND he had to go to the back half for 8 of those touches. Ok if your not winning the ball or recieving it at least defend your forward arc; only 3 tackles and 8 pressure acts for a speedy forward deserves a spray

Agree with the above, but have to remember he came on to the field fresh whilst others had played nearly 3 quarters of football. He should be supercharged and playing like he knows he isn’t going to have to play another 3 quarters after.

In saying that he fired in the last quarter last week as part of a full game.

I did factor that in but he was definitely playing at a couple of gears above his usual pace. Now he has to bring that every week.

Was a bit like the time Ollie was made a sub, came on early and decided to prove a point.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We can be a bit of a funeral if the crowd senses a what happen unfolding. Imagine 25 years of what happen.

Bit different though, as it's very rare carlton are actually expected to beat anyone. In that respect it's probably a bit fun to be a Carlton fan since you can go to every game with no expectations. 2011 etc. was good like that. Some of the best times i've had at the footy were in those years where footy was just a few hours of us bantering about how sh*t we are between Butcher kicking goals.
A what happen Carlton? would have been losing to the Suns. They aren't good enough to call a loss to us a What happen. 2008 - 2012 was the worst time for the club, but there was as noted the lack of expectations. However that went beyond the games, that the club was so constrained by the SNAFL (and local media that tried to drive us to death as well) that we weren't able to break out of the cycle of s**t - less at games & less money - more s**t - less at games & less money. So we knew what to expect and be both angry/frustrated by it, yet also enjoy the small wins of players and the rare game. Carlton have had over 50k members for many years, media support and an AFL draw that gives them every chance to bounce back, yet they fail over and over again.

I know you're not comparing circumstances, but one of my top football gripes is people trying to compare Port 2008 - 2012 to other clubs in bad places and say 'Remember when you were s**t? We should support North/Saints/Bulldogs/Melbourne to stay in the league!', when none of them are/were put there by anything then their own poor planning / lack of support, unlike us.

Back