Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Possibly unpopular opinion but I don't think Rozee has any natural midfield instincts. Doesn't know how to position or when to break off to get the ball on the run.
He missed a year of midfield development last year due to his foot.

He is basically 12 months behind Butters. Give him time.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Havent seen anyone mention this yet but someone that needs a roast is Steven Motlop. Had a piss poor game.

11 disposals 1 behind AND he had to go to the back half for 8 of those touches. Ok if your not winning the ball or recieving it at least defend your forward arc; only 3 tackles and 8 pressure acts for a speedy forward deserves a spray

He copped a knock at the start of the game, was on the bench for a while before coming back on to slog through. He hasn’t been playing forward as much this year, seen him running up and down the wing.

Thoughts:

Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall, Gray and Fantasia is like the all-star version of 2017 Jenkins/Walker, McGovern, Lynch, Betts and Cameron.

Last year we were ranked 1st for stoppage clearances per game because our defence was conditioned to get the ball out of bounds so guys like Rockliff, Wines and Powell-Pepper could get to work. With Aliir in the side, opposition teams are now forced to avoid him the same way that teams try to avoid McGovern, which pushes them wide. Rance was the same when he was playing. This leads to less stoppage clearances and more intercept opportunities - this year we are only 12th for stoppage clearances. Less spoils out of bounds, more intercepts = cleaner football.

As soon as Bergman tidies up his kick he'll be electric. The silver lining to Duursma and Butters getting injured is that Miles will get an extended run in the side.

Jones has future AA attributes.

This team is operating at about 85% efficiency as a collective at the moment.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Georgiades has kicked 10 goals in 4 games @ 2.5 per game. If he played 22 games, that's a 55 goal season. He's taking the piss really.

Biggest difference between him and the previous big forwards we've tried to develop is that he seemingly has several shots at goal every game.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Think Jones started both games slowly but improved as it went on in both.

Not 100% he's ready atm. Think McKenzie or Lienert are a little stiff atm.

Feb 6, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did factor that in but he was definitely playing at a couple of gears above his usual pace. Now he has to bring that every week.

Was a bit like the time Ollie was made a sub, came on early and decided to prove a point.
Collingwood in the wet at footy park from memory.

Back to Drew it is good to see him having multiple impacts on the contents as a defensive and offensive threat.

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like Drew but I think it will be some time before we see his best, and I’m not 100% sure he will make it. His last 5 minutes against Richmond were incredible but he was largely invisible before that, and last night he was great but he had an significant advantage over other players coming into the game late and with his physical attributes dominated.

He isn’t nearly good enough to take us to a premiership as our third starting midfielder this year though, we need Butters, Houston, SPP or Rockliff to fill that hole IMO and I’m not really sure where Drew fits in otherwise? We have better options everywhere else on the ground.

Also i thought the umpires were pretty good for us until the last quarter. I was honestly expecting the free kick count to be heavily in our favour because it seemed like they were trying to even the count. I guess they just didn’t want to get booed anymore?

1618713769048.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to admit I was flat after the game. Thought we didn't play smart footy in the last quarter, not so much as we didn't smash them, but that we didn't play smart given the injuries we had.

Why was Hartlett even playing outside the 50m arc? This incessant need to want to play mini league football and want to chase the ball and play in 60m space of the field, all the time, drives me nuts some time.

Robbie dropping two simple marks which would have resulted in set shots and killed at least 2 x 30 seconds off the clock. Then that brilliant blind term he does, rushes a kick on the left and doesn't realize the player he is chipping it to is Hartlett who is struggling to run. Bloody frustrating to watch.

Raz not being able to make the distance from a 35/40m out set shot, would have produced another 45 second break for our tired players if he goaled.

And that bloody boundary thrown in from the point post free that was a wide thrown in, and Lachie Jones stuck his hand out to grab it, was annoying, along with the 1 v 9 free kick count in the last quarter. It was 14 all at 3/4 time.

I watched the last quarter again this arvo. It wasn't as bad as I remembered, but this bit of play which I have put a couple of screen prints, will put up more screen shots later, just a couple for now to mark it, is what really pissed me off. 4 minutes to go had only lost the quarter by a point, we knew we were tired, but we didn't think and lost the opportunity to score a goal because we made several decision errors, rather than skill errors.

This ended up being our last I50 entry for the game and a potential 8 or 9 goal win was whittled down to a 4.5 goal win, because we basically stopped at this point.

Before the game I would have taken a 28 pt win and no injuries if you offered it to me. Finishing the way we did and a couple of injuries and I can't get past the being flat feeling. yeah you take a win like that and put it in the bank.

People say we came off a brutal game, but in September all games are brutal and you don't always get an 8 day break to recover, so I don't cop that as an excuse for being ecstatic with the win. We have another 8 day break before St Kilda so we can't use the we aren't fresh argument for that game.

Injuries don't help but at least they are all flanker types. We can cover them. We will miss Houston's kicking and in particular passing the ball to inside 50 and Butters buzzing around, but we can cover most of their output. We draft and recruit enough flanker types, so we should be able to cover them.

Thankfully our big blokes are healthy and playing well. As DBrowJ noted the first 5 Port players in the AFL rankings above.

Aliir will be vital player in September. Somehow we have to make sure he doesn't get a serious injury.

And I bloody hope Ken has learnt you always play Georgi + Todd with Dixon and even if we need Ladhams or Hayes to play as 2nd ruck. Never again split them up for fear of being too tall. If they are in ratshit form then they get dropped, otherwise they just play.

For me 2021 is like 2004. Just like the disappointments of 2002 and 2003, the disappointments of 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 PF result, means the season doesn't really mean much until September and we go out and prove ourselves and don't waste an opportunity to win a flag.

I'm looking at being on the big canvas and only really interested in us painting the big picture, I'm not that interested in the charcoal sketch.

1618726665500.png

Georgiades is free top right of screen. A kick to him instead of a handball changes the whole play.

1618726685770.png

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Got to admit I was flat after the game. Thought we didn't play smart footy in the last quarter, not so much as we didn't smash them, but that we didn't play smart given the injuries we had.

Why was Hartlett even playing outside the 50m arc? This incessant need to want to play mini league football and want to chase the ball and play in 60m space of the field, all the time, drives me nuts some time.

Robbie dropping two simple marks which would have resulted in set shots and killed at least 2 x 30 seconds off the clock. Then that brilliant blind term he does, rushes a kick on the left and doesn't realize the player he is chipping it to is Hartlett who is struggling to run. Bloody frustrating to watch.

Raz not being able to make the distance from a 35/40m out set shot, would have produced another 45 second break for our tired players if he goaled.

And that bloody boundary thrown in from the point post free that was a wide thrown in, and Lachie Jones stuck his hand out to grab it, was annoying, along with the 1 v 9 free kick count in the last quarter. It was 14 all at 3/4 time.

I watched the last quarter again this arvo. It wasn't as bad as I remembered, but this bit of play which I have put a couple of screen prints, will put up more screen shots later, just a couple for now to mark it, is what really pissed me off. 4 minutes to go had only lost the quarter by a point, we knew we were tired, but we didn't think and lost the opportunity to score a goal because we made several decision errors, rather than skill errors.

This ended up being our last I50 entry for the game and a potential 8 or 9 goal win was whittled down to a 4.5 goal win, because we basically stopped at this point.

Before the game I would have taken a 28 pt win and no injuries if you offered it to me. Finishing the way we did and a couple of injuries and I can't get past the being flat feeling. yeah you take a win like that and put it in the bank.

People say we came off a brutal game, but in September all games are brutal and you don't always get an 8 day break to recover, so I don't cop that as an excuse for being ecstatic with the win. We have another 8 day break before St Kilda so we can't use the we aren't fresh argument for that game.

Injuries don't help but at least they are all flanker types. We can cover them. We will miss Houston's kicking and in particular passing the ball to inside 50 and Butters buzzing around, but we can cover most of their output. We draft and recruit enough flanker types, so we should be able to cover them.

Thankfully our big blokes are healthy and playing well. As DBrowJ noted the first 5 Port players in the AFL rankings above.

Aliir will be vital player in September. Somehow we have to make sure he doesn't get a serious injury.

And I bloody hope Ken has learnt you always play Georgi + Todd with Dixon and even if we need Ladhams or Hayes to play as 2nd ruck. Never again split them up for fear of being too tall. If they are in ratshit form then they get dropped, otherwise they just play.

For me 2021 is like 2004. Just like the disappointments of 2002 and 2003, the disappointments of 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 PF result, means the season doesn't really mean much until September and we go out and prove ourselves and don't waste an opportunity to win a flag.

I'm looking at being on the big canvas and only really interested in us painting the big picture, I'm not that interested in the charcoal sketch.

View attachment 1105607

Georgiades is free top right of screen. A kick to him instead of a handball changes the whole play.

View attachment 1105608
I agree this year has a 2004 feel to it, and ironically it's shaping that way. Key injuries early, and we've just done what has needed to be done in our wins and got a big one against Richmond that we needed.

Early season is just going to be a grind I feel. Watching the Dogs play their best footy now has reminded me of St.Kilda in 2004 who won their first 10 from memory then the grind got them, I'm expecting something similar.

All the early season is for me is to bank the wins and build for later in the year. I feel we'll be around the mark, and I want to take in the whole story rather then get excited for the final chapter, so I'm more interested in our system and how it works so far this year with so many key pieces injured. Bergman, Jones, Mitch, Aliir, Fantasia & Drew have shown plenty outside of the usual suspects.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Charlie, Mitch, Todd...
Robbie, orazio, rozee..

good luck matching up on that...

I think it’s showing already, last night, Charlie had his best game for the year, which was just stepping up and chipping in when needed, doesn’t need to be the big focus. Mitch possibly the best forward we’ve had since wgt.. can play his role deeper up forward, always looks dangerous. Todd can play further up the ground now in the chf role. Then you’ve got Robbie making them look silly, orazio reading the ball so well and rozee who really could be anything...
I thing or forward line is as good as it gets in the AFL..

Back