Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was a solid win . Would’ve been nice to get a 60 point win which it probably should have been but I’ll take the less polished version . I think we were struggling physically in the last and didn’t keep the domination up .
Rozee was playing sore . Lycett had been overworked Hartlett was operating at about 50% if that . Houston being ruled out didn’t help , missing his clean work.
They’re not that bad especially if they get on a roll but a good side should beat them and that’s what we are .. I think lol .
Bergman and Jones were both impressive while making a few skill errors along the way but the way they both move suggests to me they’ll both be best 22 players before long .
Not so Woodcock and Mayes but they did contribute and are viable depth when needed .
Marshall was great and George and Charlie for that matter so that was a good thing and a bit of a worry for Pistol in the 2’s .
Back line was superb led by Allir, I thought he was more Clanger prone than he is , he’s coming into his prime years and if he could improve his marking another 10% he’ll be even better . Inspired recruiting by the club.
Fantasia not quite as much impact but he was still a good contributor, he’s all class and a step up from Farrell I think who he’s probably keeping out of the team along with Motlop who was quiet but has been good and can rise to the level in big games .
Jonas and especially Burton were good again and Darcy played his best game for the season , with Dan out and the emergence on the flying mullet and Bergman perhaps he’ll go into the midfield more now .
Amon was sublime , love the way he works the angles to find the best way from point A to point B . Bloke should be a draftsman when he retires.
Drew was in beast mode , continuing on from his last quarter against Richmond . I’d keep him in next week , see if he can continue in that vein .
The three big namers Boak, Gray and Wines were all excellent .
Lycett was great and is showing strong leadership.
Not the best game ever but a professional job raiding the MCG

A fellow Port supporter said on these pages after the last game that Aliir was doing well in the contests now but he was not backing up that work, that is, he was just standing around after the first contest. Against Carlton, it looks like Monty has worked with him and he wasn't a tourist after doing the first action well. He followed up and got to the next contest. Top work by the coaching staff and Aliir and I apologise for not recalling who it was who made this observation last week.

Geez we looked knackerred in the last quarter and the negligent umpiring made al that more difficult. The MCG is a big ground and we used every inch of it. Gray was simply superb in the first half but was anything but in the second half. Amon is a fantastic wingman and was probably BOG for his four quarter effort although DBJ was back to his best - a fantastic performance by him.

Lycett was lion hearted as always, Charles was really really good and put the lie to him having problems under lights. Maybe the lighting is better at the MCG, that is, it's up much higher than those at Adelaide and the goat track known as docklands or whatever they call it nowadays.

Marshall was fantastic and showed just how intelligent and talented he is. Georgiadies is a great, great set shot at goals and we have lacked that clinical set shot at goal since Scotty Hodges was around. Mitch seems to be getting much "in tune" with the game and as a consequence, is not playing as tense as he was before but geez, he's a young lad learning his trade and finding his way.

Fantasia has given the forward line class and with great finishing ability and has lifted the whole side. Both recruits have made a big difference to the team.

Loosing Dan Houston is a blow because he gave us top class flexibility and is much more than a utility type player. Wines and Boak are our rock solid, hard at it performers and they are just so fit and gutsy. Powell-Pepper will add to this and we need him now because we are running out of midfielders.

Rozee is an extraordinary player who is doing things that fully fit players wouldn't dream of being able to do and Bergman, mark down another rising star at Port. A few errant kicks but this one is very good.

Burton has become a very hard and physical player and personally , he has forced me to reassess him as a player. Not only is he now undroppable, he is another highly skilled, superb kicking tight backman.

The oil painting Cluery who was noticibly restricted with his corky had a field day! It's rare that he drops marks now and is another top defender. With Aliir's recruitment, we will see the very best of Tom.

Motlop continues on his merry way being an integral member of the team and his work rate and running power is second to none. He is now a dinkum League footballer.

Woodcock is a good young player who many people tell me will win the Maggery Medal even at this early stage. I don't know if he'll play enough games in the reserves to do so given the injury toll we have. He is certainly not a B grader by any stretch of the imagination.

Willem Drew has some size to him and will develop into Willem Drew as Bomber said. He is just off being a good League footballer at the minute but never shirks an issue and just needs time at the Maggies to develop physically and learn his craft.

All in all, we had a regulation win with our class carrying us through.

It was like a funeral home around the rest of the ground compared to the Port cheer squad.
Me and another bloke up the opposite end in Port colours really made sure to bring the noise down there too. Around 3 quarter time I was off my nut as those Carlton fans were complaining that DBJ didn’t give away a free after Eddie Betts held the ball into Darcy’s stomach, yet less than a minute later we got a free because I think Williams dived on the ball. The bloke behind me said “it was the exact same thing!”, but when he left to get something at 3QT I turned to my sister and said “they were two completely different things lol”. Was good to stick it up the Blues and see it live let me tell you that.

This incessant need to want to play mini league football and want to chase the ball and play in 60m space of the field, all the time, drives me nuts some time.
It’s straight out of Arrigo Sacchi’s playbook:

Sacchi educated his forwards in the work of putting pressure on their opposing central defenders in their build-up and control of the ball..., in which all players had to understand their positional relationship to each other.

The Italian coach insisted that his side should be in a short and compact block, with no more than 25 metres between the defensive and front lines. In this way, pressing did not represent a great physical effort for his players, and would allow those behind the first line of pressure line to organise and act immediately if that line was broken. This also made it very difficult for any opponent to find genuine and effective passing options.

Sacchi introduced this in his first term as AC Milan’s coach between 1987-1991.

It’s straight out of Arrigo Sacchi’s playbook:

Sacchi educated his forwards in the work of putting pressure on their opposing central defenders in their build-up and control of the ball..., in which all players had to understand their positional relationship to each other.

The Italian coach insisted that his side should be in a short and compact block, with no more than 25 metres between the defensive and front lines. In this way, pressing did not represent a great physical effort for his players, and would allow those behind the first line of pressure line to organise and act immediately if that line was broken. This also made it very difficult for any opponent to find genuine and effective passing options.

Sacchi introduced this in his first term as AC Milan’s coach between 1987-1991.

Don't think he wrote that for the Hartlett situation who was struggling to run properly.

No. But Hartlett wasn’t playing close to the rest of the team.
He pushed right up to the wing several times when he didn't need to - because of the mindset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was like a funeral home around the rest of the ground compared to the Port cheer squad.
Every time Carlton kicked a goal this kid sitting near me would yell “HAM HAM HAM GRANDMOTHER HAM” and I wouldn’t even be mad they scored 🙏

But yeah we were very outnumbered and i hate loud noise so the silence was welcome for me :3

He pushed right up to the wing several times when he didn't need to - because of the mindset.
I have the memory of him playing as FF alone, but I believe you. He was our most forward player, but that usually doesn’t mean in the F50...

Drew's best will be on par with an average Bartel game, at best.
Yeah it's a bit like saying that if Travis Head works on a few things, he could be the next Don Bradman :).

Drew is a very promising youngster, but let's allow the kid to establish himself at the elite level, before we start comparing him to past greats.

You wanna talk about sh*t umpiring?

Ask Sydney in the GF vs the Dogs
Ask Port v North in Tasmania

Last night, nothing in comparison.
Just as long as that last quarter isn't an indication of what we can expect next Sunday night against the Saints......

Yeah it's a bit like saying that if Travis Head works on a few things, he could be the next Don Bradman :).

Drew is a very promising youngster, but let's allow the kid to establish himself at the elite level, before we start comparing him to past greats.
Okay firstly I wasn't comparing him to Bartel ffs I said he can develop into a mid who can go forward and back like Bartel. Also are we a little bit over rating this past great who played in one off the greatest side of all time and apart from four years out of fifteen averaged 21 touches and less than a goal a game.

Okay firstly I wasn't comparing him to Bartel ffs I said he can develop into a mid who can go forward and back like Bartel. Also are we a little bit over rating this past great who played in one off the greatest side of all time and apart from four years out of fifteen averaged 21 touches and less than a goal a game.
bartel.jpg

Me and another bloke up the opposite end in Port colours really made sure to bring the noise down there too. Around 3 quarter time I was off my nut as those Carlton fans were complaining that DBJ didn’t give away a free after Eddie Betts held the ball into Darcy’s stomach, yet less than a minute later we got a free because I think Williams dived on the ball. The bloke behind me said “it was the exact same thing!”, but when he left to get something at 3QT I turned to my sister and said “they were two completely different things lol”. Was good to stick it up the Blues and see it live let me tell you that.
I was sitting amongst the Carlton supporters with a few other port people around me. We made sure to bring as much noise as possible. Some of the Carlton fans were actually alright in the last quarter had a good conversation with one of the blues fans in front of me and wished each other good luck.

Most of our players got green total possessions which means 30% higher than their year to date average. Probably because we did a lot of chipping around and sharing the ball to save energy in the 2nd half with our injuries.

Boak's metres gained were way down from an average of over 350 before this game to just 97, because he had a hard tag on him, but he still worked hard and ended up giving a lot of handballs rather than kicking it. 29 total disposals was his equal 2nd best for 2021.

Without digging, I dug I'm pretty sure Marshall and Georgiades each had career high total disposals games.

Carlton fans are pissed off listening to a bit of talkback yesterday and this morning but it wasn't that they were poor, they were just average, lots of white rather than red.

Both sides had 27 shots on goal, both sides had shots that didn't make it, but Carlton kick poorly for goal. They had 4 rushed behind in their total score of 9.14, we didn't register any. It's reflected in the Xscores.

Port Xscore 81 v Actual 96
Carl Xscore 90 v Actual 68

Marks I50 Port 13 for v Carlton 14.
We kicked 6.1, 2 marks were passes to 2 players who marked and then didn't make the distance so 4 set shots in total didn't make the distance ie Woodcock's stupid left foot around the corner kick from 30m out, when a simple right foot kick would have scored in the first quarter and Raz's set shot from 35m out in the last quarter. Gray early in the first Wines in the 3rd were the other 2 that didn't make the distance.
Carlton kicked 5.6 from their 14 marks I50.

Frees inside 50 were 2 vs Carlton's 4.
Boak kicked a point early in the first quarter and Woodcock kicked it out on the full late in the third quarter.
Lycett got a 50m penalty in the centre of the ground then slotted his shot from 45m out.
Carlton kicked 2.1 from their 4 free kicks.

So Port from all set shots (and not passes I50), kicked 7.2 from 14 set shots. Not a great return.
So that means their 13 other shots produced 8.4

Edit So the 6 of shots on goal that didn't score were 4 from marks mentioned above, Woodcock's free in the 3rd that he kicked out on the full, and Georgi on the run in the 2nd quarter hit the pt post 3/4 of the way up for an out on the full. Bassett mentioned 6 shots not scoring a couple of times in his interview with Rowe this arvo.

Lycett dominated in the ruck - 13 of his 28 hitouts were to advantage, Pittonet got 3 out 16.

CD Table says the ball spent 56% of the time in Carlton's half of the ground. I reckon our chipping it around in the 2nd half helped with that stat. The AFL app says Time in Possession for the game was Port 45% and Carlton 39%.

The AFL app full match timeline summary, also said at 3/4 time the kicking effectiveness stat was 73% Port to Carlton's 57%. The total disposal efficiency stat at 3/4 time was 79% v 67% and it ended 76% vs 68%.

We were challenged, pushed, but our skills were the difference.

Thanks again to Garibaldi Red for the digital copy of the tables.
1618799506453.png

1618799538514.png

Last edited:
Jimmy Bartel was genuinely one of the players that made them one of the greatest of all time - averaging just 21 touches and about a goal a game doesn't disprove that. He was quality

Murphy, Gibbs, Walsh... when Carlton draft a mid at pick 1, they sure like to go vanilla.

It shocked me to learn Murphy won an AFLCA MVP around the time we were absolute dogwater (and personally, watching football beyond the tragicomedy of our weekly follies wasn’t a high priority).

Always seemed to have that Boakish quality of not really having any elite weapons beyond a super solid all-round game to go with a massive tank and being a master of bobbing up for a backbreaking goal — but his 2011 numbers were truly insane.

Injuries and Carlton’s baffling list management torpedoed him to an extent.

It shocked me to learn Murphy won an AFLCA MVP around the time we were absolute dogwater (and personally, watching football beyond the tragicomedy of our weekly follies wasn’t a high priority).

Always seemed to have that Boakish quality of not really having any elite weapons beyond a super solid all-round game to go with a massive tank and being a master of bobbing up for a backbreaking goal — but his 2011 numbers were truly insane.

Injuries and Carlton’s baffling list management torpedoed him to an extent.

Often looked like a superstar against us, I'll grant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back