Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

PortWTF

All Australian
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Most of our players got green total possessions which means 30% higher than their year to date average. Probably because we did a lot of chipping around and sharing the ball to save energy in the 2nd half with our injuries.

Boak's metres gained were way down from an average of over 350 before this game to just 97, because he had a hard tag on him, but he still worked hard and ended up giving a lot of handballs rather than kicking it. 29 total disposals was his equal 2nd best for 2021.

Without digging, I dug I'm pretty sure Marshall and Georgiades each had career high total disposals games.

Carlton fans are pissed off listening to a bit of talkback yesterday and this morning but it wasn't that they were poor, they were just average, lots of white rather than red.

Both sides had 27 shots on goal, both sides had shots that didn't make it, but Carlton kick poorly for goal. They had 4 rushed behind in their total score of 9.14, we didn't register any. It's reflected in the Xscores.

Port Xscore 81 v Actual 96
Carl Xscore 90 v Actual 68

Marks I50 Port 13 for v Carlton 14.
We kicked 6.1, 2 marks were passes to 2 players who marked and then didn't make the distance and 4 others didn't make the distance ie Woodcock's stupid left foot around the corner kick from 30m out, when a simple right foot kick would have scored in the first quarter and Raz's set shot from 35m out in the last quarter. Gray early in the first Wines in the 3rd were the other 2 that didn't make the distance.
Carlton kicked 5.6 from their 14 marks I50.

Frees inside 50 were 2 vs Carlton's 4.
Boak kicked a point early in the first quarter and Woodcock kicked it out on the full late in the third quarter.
Lycett got a 50m penalty in the centre of the ground then slotted his shot from 45m out.
Carlton kicked 2.1 from their 4 free kicks.

So Port from all set shots (and not passes I50), kicked 7.2 from 14 set shots. Not a great return.
So that means their 13 other shots produced 8.4

Lycett dominated in the ruck - 13 of his 28 hitouts were to advantage, Pittonet got 3 out 16.

CD Table says the ball spent 56% of the time in Carlton's half of the ground. I reckon our chipping it around in the 2nd half helped with that stat. The AFL app says Time in Possession for the game was Port 45% and Carlton 39%.

The AFL app full match timeline summary, also said at 3/4 time the kicking effectiveness stat was 73% Port to Carlton's 57%. The total disposal efficiency stat at 3/4 time was 79% v 67% and it ended 76% vs 68%.

We were challenged, pushed, but our skills were the diffence.

Thanks again to Garibaldi Red for the digital copy of the tables.
View attachment 1106292

View attachment 1106293
Dixon 94% TOG
Marshall 77%
Georgiadis 66%
Rozee 77%

Seems the young guys still don't have the tank, which could affect our last quarters because the midfield isn't getting enough rest.

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
bartel.jpg
Yeah awards from umpires lets use that in our defence, Ablett was clearly their best player that year anyway. I'm not attempting to denigrate Bartel here either, my point has always been that I can see drew developing into a bartel like player because their skill sets are very similar.
images.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone else noticed Bergmans closing speed when chasing? He seems to really be able to turn on the speed at a moments notice. Port need to persist with him, he's going to be a very, very effective player for Port

I saw this during the game and thought of Craig Bradley.
Can't wait to see more of it.

Nov 16, 2007
Glenelg
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies

Yep, he looks good. The one I really noticed was when he was chasing a Carlton player on the far wing (from the camera). Although he didnt catch the Carlton player the ground he made up on him I thought was impressive. If the Carlton player held onto it for a moment longer Bergman would have caught him.

As many have said before, the most important pace a player can have is pace off the first 5 steps, and Bergman has that in spades!

Just rewatched the game.
A super professional performance, was never in doubt and the players played to the exact level required to beat such a team.
Kept plenty of tickets for the rest of the season.

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thinking Bergman has to play as a defender. Once again he showed his ability once he was able to get in defence when Hartlett went off.
Given we went into Saturday nights game with 9 Defenders not including Mayes we can afford to lose 2. Therefore we can replace Houston and Hartlett with different types.
Drew has to come in to replace Houston in midfield and it becomes a great opportunity to get a game into a youngster. Given both Frederick and Mead have been spoken about this could be the week.

It shocked me to learn Murphy won an AFLCA MVP around the time we were absolute dogwater (and personally, watching football beyond the tragicomedy of our weekly follies wasn’t a high priority).

Always seemed to have that Boakish quality of not really having any elite weapons beyond a super solid all-round game to go with a massive tank and being a master of bobbing up for a backbreaking goal — but his 2011 numbers were truly insane.

Injuries and Carlton’s baffling list management torpedoed him to an extent.
A bloody good solid player, with good skills who probably benefited from other sides being paranoid to stop Judd in 2011.

Plus he had help for Bryce Gibbs who was a better than average player after 80-100 games, Kruezer feeding him and they has solid rather than great hard nuts who played midfield like Heath Scotland, Mitch Robinson, Andrew Carrazzo even Andrew Walker and Kade Simpson going thru the midfield. I'm sure there are 3 or 4 others I missed.

In 2011 I remember them beating WCE in Perth, in a year the Eagles bounced back into the top 4 and won 17 games. Under Ratten they steadily improved each year then had a slight down year in 2012 and missed the finals with 11 wins and the old arrogant Carlton emerges and they sack Ratten for Malthouse and haven't improved since.

Carlton did make the finals in 2013 but only because Essendon were kicked out for their drug cheating, but they only won 11 games like in Ratten's last year.

They really are a 20th century football club. Just haven't really made the jump to the full time league and all the restrictions that go with it. The old, we will buy our way to success, is still part of their DNA.

Interesting that Kenny endorsed Lachie jones for rising star nomination in his post match presser.

Did he not realise georgiades is still eligible?
Sack Hinkley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Kenny endorsed Lachie jones for rising star nomination in his post match presser.

Did he not realise georgiades is still eligible?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lachie did a lot of things that coaches appreciate. Some of his spoils jumping in front of packs and killing the ball around 200cm players were stunning. His straight lining and physical presence is a highlight from a player so young. He also had to take on more of a role on with Hartlett's injury and did so with aplomb.

Mitch was terrific but Lachie did himself proud again.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Jimmy Bartel was genuinely one of the players that made them one of the greatest of all time - averaging just 21 touches and about a goal a game doesn't disprove that. He was quality
Absolutely. Jimmy Bartel was a genuine star of the game and a pleasure to watch regardless of who one supports.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE

Craig Bradley, wow, that would be fantastic. To me he moves more like Jack Watts - might be the light coloured hair though. To paraphrase one of our esteemed Port Adelaide contributors around here, "Miles Bergman will become Miles Bergman".

Craig Bradley? geez, that would be magnificent. Speaking of esteemed people, I'll quote Craig Bradley when he was being compared to God on a video about God: "If I am half as good as Russell Ebert, I'll be a very happy man". (or word to that effect).

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah awards from umpires lets use that in our defence, Ablett was clearly their best player that year anyway. I'm not attempting to denigrate Bartel here either, my point has always been that I can see drew developing into a bartel like player because their skill sets are very similar.
View attachment 1106346
I really think you need to find another comparison. When he can consistently take strong pack marks, kick long match winning goals, and generally be a match winner against the best sides then maybe the skill sets can be compared. Bartell was the epitome of total football.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lachie did a lot of things that coaches appreciate. Some of his spoils jumping in front of packs and killing the ball around 200cm players were stunning. His straight lining and physical presence is a highlight from a player so young. He also had to take on more of a role on with Hartlett's injury and did so with aplomb.

Mitch was terrific but Lachie did himself proud again.

I liked lachie’s game too. Needs to tidy up a couple things (frees against) but he is coming along nicely.

However, Georgiades deservedly got the rising star nom ahead of him.

I liked lachie’s game too. Needs to tidy up a couple things (frees against) but he is coming along nicely.

However, Georgiades deservedly got the rising star nom ahead of him.

It felt like one of those frees against reduced Walsh's early influence ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back