Autopsy Port defeated by the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

People love focusing on the negatives after a loss cause it’s easy to point to them as the reason why we lost, but I have to say there were certain passages of play where we carved those campaigners up and it was beautiful to watch.

Our task is to eliminate the bad. Because the good is very, very good.

So we stunk, I mean really stunk. I reckon only Gray, Wines, Polec and Jonas were good. Essendon kicked goals out of their A-holes, their mis-kicks hit targets and we lost by 4 goals. Wow, Essendon are really bad.

I was disappointed to see Barry dropped and would have him in ahead of Amon. Amon is clean and his DE is good, but he's just so blah. He's not quick, he's not strong, and his kick lacks penetration...he's just got no hurt factor.

Houston or Byrne-Jones need to make way for Pittard. Both have been less-than-average the past 2 weeks.

The worst part about the loss, is we all knew it was going to happen. Sad.
We did better than I thought, i predicted Essendon by 6 goals. :eek:

People love focusing on the negatives after a loss cause it’s easy to point to them as the reason why we lost, but I have to say there were certain passages of play where we carved those campaigners up and it was beautiful to watch.

Agreed but it's a shame that our skills are still very poor.

The only positive of the season so far is that Christiensen missed.

If he didn’t, we’d be up way up s**t creek without a paddle already.

The McKenzie bomb down the corridor was delicious. Shame we only tried it once

Sometimes the “good teams know how to win ugly” saying can be a touch misleading. We’ve played 1 good half (Sydney second) out of 8 so far. That’s something I’d consider a concern, wins or no wins.

All things considered we're about par.

Freo at home = Win (expected)
Sydney away = Win (unexpected)
Brisbane at home = Win (expected)
Essendon away = Loss (unexpected)*

*When I say 'unexpected' I mean we were handsome favourites to win against an opponent in poor form and really should've got the job done regardless, as opposed to 'expected': "oh boy, who couldn't have seen that performance coming".

So yeah 3-1, but the last two games haven't been flash with a fellow contender rolling in on Satdee.

Was this ever the case. And we have players who should be back in their proper positions if we are going to win many more games.
From "Nine things we learned" from afl.com.au.

Because playing players in their actual positions actually worked. The Power knew it was coming; Cale Hooker trained with the defenders this week and Jake Stringer with the forwards, and both players lined up in their more familiar positions after spending the opening three rounds in attack and the midfield respectively. Hooker was solid down back and allowed Michael Hurley more room to be creative and take a game-high 15 marks, while Stringer booted four goals in his best game as a Bomber

Dougal Howard should have been kept in defence, Chad Wingard should be played where he can do the most damage - in the forward lines instead of half of the time in midfield. And we should try as hard as possible to keep Charlie Dixon and Justin Westhoff in their correct positions. Billy may come in as a losing ruck but at least it doesn't mean we have to rob another position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We knew that Essendon were going to come out breathing fire given their game last week. We knew they are capable of jumping us given what happened last year.

This group should be capable of so much but that was as disheartening performance as we've had in a while*

*since 2015/16/17

Play a ruck. If Framps isn't ready, then why do we just accept it. Why isn't he ready? Why is Tim English playing for the Dogs yet William isn't ready?

I was listening to Lade on AA and he said something that caught my attention. He was talking about the pressure that Essendon was applying. He said that 1.8 is a good number for pressure. I have no idea how they come up with this number or what it even means in real terms. He then went on to say that Essendon were up around 3.5. He also mentioned how he found it interesting that 2 of our forwards had broken noses and one had a concussion.

I was listening to Lade on AA and he said something that caught my attention. He was talking about the pressure that Essendon was applying. He said that 1.8 is a good number for pressure. I have no idea how they come up with this number or what it even means in real terms. He then went on to say that Essendon were up around 3.5. He also mentioned how he found it interesting that 2 of our forwards had broken noses and one had a concussion.
I guess the Dons saw us as easy prey. Frustrating as hell.

Agree
Are we 'boaking' Rockckiff?
Wasn't he a clearance machine in the midfield .... But yeah let's play him as a forward

Yes, this idea that the best players will be the best forwards is high school lunchtime thinking. The best players always played forward in lunchtime games whether they played mid, forward or defence in school matches. They succeeded as forwards because the defence was made up of the non-players who were picked last.

I guess the Dons saw us as easy prey. Frustrating as hell.
I took it as him saying that Essendons pressure was elite and off the charts. Probably unsustainable in my view. I am always saying to my wife that it feels like teams lift when they play us now. For some reason they see us as a worthy scalp. Does this go back to our meteoric rise in 13/14 and subsequent media attention? Who knows.

I was worried as soon as I saw how badly Brisbane were going on Saturday.

This past Portnight is eerily similar to that in 2016 when we had an absolute cracker of a contest with the Bulldogs which took a lot out of both teams. We went over to Perth the next week and looked as flat as a tack and went down to the worst Freo team since Drum/Allan. It was said after that game that it'd be very interesting to see how the Bulldogs fare later that night.

They went on to lose to Geelong at their home ground by 10 goals.

It’s also wrong. A number of Bellchambers hit outs went to Essendon players.

My mistake - he actually said first possession was 45-46.

I took it as him saying that Essendons pressure was elite and off the charts. Probably unsustainable in my view. I am always saying to my wife that it feels like teams lift when they play us now. For some reason they see us as a worthy scalp. Does this go back to our meteoric rise in 13/14 and subsequent media attention? Who knows.

I think our pressure was more a result of a week of s**t after the woeful performance the week before. Wouldn’t have mattered who we were playing that desire would have been there.

Marshall got concussed from an accidental head clash I think - the one that resulted in Watts getting a relayed free. Hope he’s okay, he looked good from what I saw.

FWIW, we did the same thing as you guys the week before, knew the bulldogs would be hot, didn’t turn up to play, got beat. I’m sure you’ll see a different attitude this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back