Wingard
Wakelin
Schulz
Westhoff
Francou
Wilson

HM: Mel Michael in a losing team

That was really tricky.

Extraordinarily tight between Wanganeen and R Gray - both multiple AAs, had short stints as effectively the best player in the game (2003; 2014). Gav’s finals heroics in 2004 just nudge it IMO.

Equally, hard to separate Monty, Francou and Wilson. Weighing up peak (Francou) vs longevity of performance at PAFC (Wilson), Monty is strong in both categories but not enough to outweigh the above.

Lade and Schulz underrated in this thread for mine. Both absolutely guns of the competition for a good stretch of years. Feel there is a bit less kudos given that their peak performances didn’t occur in 2004 (Schulz obv not involved at all).

Edit: Westhoff GTFI

Last edited:
1. Tredrea
2. R. Gray
3. Wanganeen
4. Lade
5. C. Cornes
6. Boak
7. K. Cornes
8. Primus
9. Wingard
10. Francou
11. P. Burgoyne
12. Westhoff
13. Wilson
14. S. Burgoyne
15. Montgomery

(16+. Dew, Schulz, Jonas, Cassisi, Ryder, Mead, Brogan, Carr, et al.)

I think the top-10 pick themselves. For considerable periods they were elite footballers recognised as such league-wide, as well as being prime movers and key players for the club.

From 11-onwards you’ve got the guys on the rung below, or for whatever reason didn’t have the longevity, durability or consistency to push into that consensus elite tier.

1. T Olsen
2. R. Gray
3. Wanganeen
4. Lade
5. C. Cornes
6. Boak
7. K. Cornes
8. Primus
9. Wingard
10. Francou
11. P. Burgoyne
12. Westhoff
13. Wilson
14. S. Burgoyne
15. Montgomery

(16+. Dew, Schulz, Jonas, Ryder, Mead, Brogan, Carr, et al.)

I think the top-10 pick themselves. For considerable periods they were elite footballers recognised as such league-wide, as well as being prime movers and key players for the club.

From 11-onwards you’ve got the guys on the rung below, or for whatever reason didn’t have the longevity, durability or consistency to push into that consensus elite tier.
FTFY

Loved Wilbur but gets a bit over rated i reckon....good proper Port boy and all.

Look you’re probably right, but he played a lot more footy than the guys in similar rungs to him. Looking at the likes of Roger James, Francou, Monty, Carr - Wilbur played 192 games, and was one of those consistent in-and-around AA level without nailing a full season. I reckon playing that amount of footy at a B+/A- level rates well against guys who had a couple of A grade seasons within shorter stints.

I’ve probably underrated Westhoff tbh based on my own criteria above :neutral:

Loved Wilbur but gets a bit over rated i reckon....good proper Port boy and all.

Was stiff not to make AA in 2004 (Adam McPhee ffs), and obviously the sky was the limit for him if he didn’t blow his knees out. But he did, which counts against him against others.

Look you’re probably right, but he played a lot more footy than the guys in similar rungs to him. Looking at the likes of Roger James, Francou, Monty, Carr - Wilbur played 192 games, and was one of those consistent in-and-around AA level without nailing a full season. I reckon playing that amount of footy at a B+/A- level rates well against guys who had a couple of A grade seasons within shorter stints.

I’ve probably underrated Westhoff tbh based on my own criteria above :neutral:

Mr Reliable but always seemed a bit injured. Never had a brilliant season.

Whilst never close to Wilbur, always thought Port supporters gave the benefit of the doubt to Jarrod Poulton due to his heritage. I thought he was an extremely ordinary footballer.

Mr Reliable but always seemed a bit injured. Never had a brilliant season.

Whilst never close to Wilbur, always thought Port supporters gave the benefit of the doubt to Jarrod Poulton due to his heritage. I thought he was an extremely ordinary footballer.
I've never come across a port fan who thought poults was anything other than a loveable, raffish spud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one has even mentioned Nick Stevens. It’s not the 15 most popular.

1 Wanganeen
2 R.Gray
3. Primus
4. Francou
5. S.Burgoyne
6. Lade
7. R.James
8. P.Burgoyne
9. Boak
10. Stevens
11. J.Carr
12. K.Cornes
13. C.Cornes
14. Wines
15. Wingard

Logically, not a bad point. He was a very good footballer with us and even edges out guys like Monty and Carr wrt games played despite abandoning ship.

Emotionally, who gives a flying f@&k he’s human garbage and deserves to be forgotten.

No one has even mentioned Nick Stevens. It’s not the 15 most popular.

1 Wanganeen
2 R.Gray
3. Primus
4. Francou
5. S.Burgoyne
6. Lade
7. R.James
8. P.Burgoyne
9. Boak
10. Stevens
11. J.Carr
12. K.Cornes
13. C.Cornes
14. Wines
15. Wingard

Is this in any order, because in no universe was Stevens superior to the Cornes brothers or Wingard.

I've never come across a port fan who thought poults was anything other than a loveable, raffish spud.
Poults is one of my all time favourite players, in fact I named my son after him...

1 Tredrea
2 Wanganeen
3 Gray
4 Lade
5 C.Cornes
6 Boak
7 K.Cornes
8 Primus
9 Francou
10 Wingard
11 Montgomery
12 P.Burgoyne
13 Wilson
14 Schulz
15 S.Burgoyne

Unlucky: Westhoff, Brogan, Wakelin.

Kane Cornes gets underrated because he was poorly used late in the Choco era, and then almost frozen out by Primus because we had to play the kids at all costs. During his prime he was the best tagger in the game when that absolutely mattered, and an elite linkman type midfielder who would punish his opponent the other way. Could win his own ball and knew where the goals were too. Record speaks for itself.

Nick Stevens is nowhere near the top 20 even forgetting that he's a domestic violence offender. Good mid but behind a lot of people in terms of Port players over the AFL era.

Treadrea
Wanganeen
James
Lade
R Gray
Wilson
C Cornes
P Burgoyne
Pickett
Schulz
Primus
Francou
Wakelin
Boak
Carr

thanks for the feedbacks guys. Heres what Im working with (in order):

1. Tredrea
2. Wanganeen
3. R. Gray
4. K Cornes
5. C Cornes
6. Primus
7. Lade
8. Francou
9. P Burgoyne
10. Wakelin
11. Boak
12. S Burgoyne
13 M Wilson
14 Dew
15 Schulz

Most Stiff are Westhoff, Cassisi, and Carr. Is this too outrageous??
This is obviously not including John Butcher at 1 because that goes without saying.
Pretty good list. You could argue the toss on the order of a few but I think you've got the right group in generally the right spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back