Port Fans Needed: Top 15 Power players of AFL era

Remove this Banner Ad

My top 3 is Tredrea, R.Gray, Wanganeen.

No particular order but the rest I’d have P.Burgoyne, C.Cornes, Lade, Westhoff, Wilson, K. Cornes, Dew, Schulz, Boak, Wingard, Carr, Francou.

Didn’t really rate S.Burgyone highly. Also my memories of Primus were his injuries. Stevens can get stuffed. Pickett stiff but didn’t play long enough.

The first 3 name themselves, ie Tredrea, Wanganeen and R. Gray, but assuming this list is based on skill as well as effectiveness there is no way Roger James could be left off it, I doubt many players in only their 3rd or 4th game could show the ball to Nathan Buckley in his prime, weave around him to leave him clutching at space, bang the ball through the goals from about 35 metres out on an angle, and then trot back to their position like nothing had happened.

For results in big games that they turned in our favour, and sometimes singlehandedly, there is no way Byron Pickett or Josh Carr should be left off it either.

If we are talking bang for the buck, with all his personal achievements aside I wouldn't have Kane Cornes any higher than about 12, and I'm not so sure Chadbro belongs in the top 10 either.

Tough one this one but I'll have a go-

1. Tredrea
2. Wanganeen
3. R.Gray
4. Boak
5. C.Cornes
6. Lade
7. K.Cornes
8. Westhoff
9. R.James
10. P. Burgoyne
11. Primus
12. J.Carr
13. M.Wilson
14. B.Montgomery
15. Cassisi

Final list. Top 15 PAFC players of the AFL era. This was very hard to make and could've included Darren Mead, Byron Pickett, Roger James, Brett Ebert, Josh Carr, Domenic Cassisi and Darryl Wakelin.View attachment 661596

Matthew Primus is spelt with a double t and Justin Westhoff is spelt Roger James.

Otherwise good effort. :thumbsu:

When I think of a top Port Adelaide player I think of a player that had a consistent influence on us winning multiple important games across seasons and in close games and resulted in us winning a premiership (although I'll be lenient with the premiership bit). Players that were reliable cogs in games at critical moments and did not need to be AAs and BnFs or have the AFL or Robert Walls stamp of approval.

In no order:
G Wanganeen
W Tredrea
R James
C Cornes
M Primus
J Francou
D Wakelin
J Carr
B Lade
R Gray
D Brogan
P Burgoyne
B Montgomery
J Schulz
J Westhoff

I do not devalue the importance of Wilson, Pickett, Dew, Boak, and Mead, and on another day I'd probably find room to fit one of them in.

I still take my hat off to Lyle, Kane, Paxman, Bishop, Schofield, Francis, and Kingsley for what they added.

I still value S Burgoyne but bitter about it.

I would gladly replace any of our current defenders for Mead, Paxman, and Bishop. I rate Bishop quite highly.

Nobody's list of 15 will ever be right anyway.

1. Tredrea
2. Wanganeen
3. R.Gray
4. Francou
5. C.Cornes
6. Lade
7. K.Cornes
8. Boak
9. R.James
10. P. Burgoyne
11. Primus
12. J.Carr
13. S Dew
14. The Hoff
15. Wings

Not a bad side:

Gray Schulz Primus
Dew
Tredrea C Cornes
S Burgoyne
Francou Westhoff
P Burgoyne Mead Wilson
Wanganeen
Wakelin Paxman

Lade K Cornes Boak
James, Carr, Monty, Pickett

A little disturbing that the last 3 of them are close to retiring.
2004 players in bold

Last edited:
Westoff being top 15 is an abomination. Don't even try to justify. I won't hear it.

3rd most games
3rd most goals
4th most marks
5th most disposals
5th most tackles

Plus, he's a B&F winner (only 15 players fit into this category).

I don't know how you could leave him out.

I had to put Westhoff in there. Ive corrected the Primus spelling. THanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rd most games
3rd most goals
4th most marks
5th most disposals
5th most tackles

Plus, he's a B&F winner (only 15 players fit into this category).

I don't know how you could leave him out.

I'm being harsh on Westoff but going by your post K.Cornes is our greatest player bar Tredrea.

I think our best AFL player ever was Wanganeen. He could play defence, midfield, and forward, and play them well. He was courageous and smart, and could play above everyone else, and was a clutch player.

Gavin Robbie tredders. Top three, whatever the order...

I have a strong dislike for some of our disrespectful group from our early years. You know what I am saying.

Peter burgoyne 4th for me, should have won the norm...

Of the modern era, Boak, Chad and the hoff are in there.
In 10 years time Rozee and Butters will give it a fair shake..

Chad above kane..

I have a strong dislike for some of our disrespectful group from our early years. You know what I am saying.

In all sincerity, I have absolutely no idea what you are saying, could you please clarify.

1. Tredrea
2. R Gray
3. Wanganeen
4. Boak
5. K Cornes
6. Lade
7. C Cornes
8. Primus
9. Francou
10. Wingard
11. Montgomery
12. Wilson
13. Schulz
14. P Burgoyne
15. S Burgoyne
I'd have both Burgers higher but apart from that my list would be much the same.
Two players from our early days that would have challenged had they played more games for us in the AFL would have been Paxman and Mead.
Had they been around during our bad period we wouldn't have gone so bad as their attitude alone would have lifted the players around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back