Port Fans Needed: Top 15 Power players of AFL era

Remove this Banner Ad

By the end of his career if he plays it out at PA, Ollie Wines would be right up there...
Currently he sits 30th in games played for the club, however is:
  • 10th for total disposals (1st on disposal ave per game)
  • 7th for total tackles (4th by ave - once Snelling and his 1 game/6tackle is removed)
  • 13th for total I50 (8th on ave per game)
  • 6th for total clearances (2nd by ave per game)
  • =7th for Brownlow Votes (2nd by ave per game)
  • 9th for contested pos (leading it by ave per game - 2 CP per game clear of 2nd who is Robbie)
Given he is just approaching his peak, and probably has 4-5 years left at the top of his game (barring injury) I would expect he is just about leading in all these areas by the end of his career...

In some sort of rough order I would have,

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Gavin Wanganeen
3. Josh Francou
4. Brendan Lade
5. Chad Cornes
6. Matt Primus
7. Shaun Burgoyne
8. Robbie Gary
9. Michael Wilson
10. Roger James
11. Kane Cornes
12. Brett Montgomery
13. Stephen Paxman
14. Jay Schultz
15. Josh Carr

Could not force Peter Burgoyne or Stuart Dew into our best 15. Both were good but also had some glaring faults. Stewie went missing too often and P Burgoyne was the turn over king of the AFL. I reckon Roger James and Brett Montgomery were better players for us than either of those two.

Carnt argue with that... but overall I didnt rate dew very highly. Just my opinion.
One of the most natural match winners to play the game.

He could play a decent game in defence, go off the field to eat a couple of pies, then come back on just in time to kick or set up the 2 or 3 goals needed to win the game.

Can't teach that.

Last edited:
Jason Davenport
Allan Murray
Derek Murray
John Rombotis
Adam Cockshell
Jaxon Crabb
Chris Hall
Marlon Motlop
Fabian Deluca
Matthew Westhoff
Luke Peel
Wade Thompson
Ryan Williams
Simon Phillips
Wade Champion
Steve Brosnan?

Look at their best 22 in the 2002-2004 era.

Select 12-13 players from it then add Robbie Gray and Travis Boak.

Maybe a Westhoff or Wingard to squeeze in.

Crazy how many players in and around the list were at other clubs.

Wanganeen, Primus, Chad Cornes, Wakelin, Brogan, Carr, Dew, Pickett, Schulz, Wingard, Montgomery, S.Burgoyne, Paxman, Bishop, Hardwick, Bishop, Schofield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Untitled.jpg

From the players that were in the 2004 flag winning side. P.Burgone, Wilson, Kane Cornes, Tredrea, Thurstans, Lade, Kingsley, Roger James and Cassisi were one club AFL players.

And of those 9 players P.Burgoyne, Wilson and Tredrea were the only players from our SANFL system that stayed at the club their whole career.

View attachment 662002

From the players that were in the 2004 flag winning side. Wilson, Kane Cornes, Tredrea, Thurstans, Lade, Kingsley, Roger James and Cassisi were one club AFL players.

And of those 8 players Wilson and Tredrea were the only players from our SANFL system that stayed at the club their whole career.

Peter Burgoyne was a 1 club player too.

This is possibly the most offensive thing I’ve seen on these boards. And I lived through ‘The Official Meatspin Thread’.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are on about. As I posted it is only a 'rough order' based on my preference.

I think a player is doing pretty well to make a top 15 and I would not be quibbling about who should be above who.

PS cannot find your list of 15 anywhere. I must have missed it so could you re post it please?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back