Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need all those parklands, surely...?

Adelaide Crows consider shifting from Football Park home to new base in Adelaide’s parklands

The Adelaide Crows are considering shifting from their long-term West Lakes home and building a new headquarters in the North Adelaide parklands, on the opposite side of the River Torrens to the Adelaide Zoo.

The 1.6ha Adelaide City Council Nursery site, at War Memorial Drv’s eastern end, is among sites earmarked and it is understood talks are continuing with the Adelaide City Council and Liberal State Government.

It is understood the Crows also are open to other city sites, such as the previously speculated Adelaide Aquatic Centre and a redeveloped Memorial Drive tennis complex.

The Advertiser has been told the Crows are considering a new multistorey headquarters, with associated offices, gym, indoor training facilities and clubrooms.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/78c8ca794ca9f150c144ac8d9f6ce862
The City of Adelaide nursery does fantastic work for the Park Lands and city overall (plants, mulch) so if that site were to be taken over another location needs to be found for the nursery in my opinion.
I think the aquatic centre location is worth exploring, particularly if it (at least in part) remains as a swimming-focused public recreation facility. Blackfriars Priory School might not be so keen on the proposal (given they use the fields surrounding the centre) however there might be a mutually beneficial arrangement to be reached in that regard.

Adelaide Crows consider shifting from Football Park home to new base in Adelaide’s parklands

The Adelaide Crows are considering shifting from their long-term West Lakes home and building a new headquarters in the North Adelaide parklands, on the opposite side of the River Torrens to the Adelaide Zoo.

The 1.6ha Adelaide City Council Nursery site, at War Memorial Drv’s eastern end, is among sites earmarked and it is understood talks are continuing with the Adelaide City Council and Liberal State Government.

It is understood the Crows also are open to other city sites, such as the previously speculated Adelaide Aquatic Centre and a redeveloped Memorial Drive tennis complex.

The Advertiser has been told the Crows are considering a new multistorey headquarters, with associated offices, gym, indoor training facilities and clubrooms.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/78c8ca794ca9f150c144ac8d9f6ce862

Where is Queen Anne Moran?

She stopped the food vans and she will stop this!

AFL player movement will reportedly go to a new flexible level at the end of the 2019 season, with players that previously moved clubs as free agents to regain the status when they next come out of contract, according Fairfax Media.

The AFL introduced the free agency window in 2012, with players able to move clubs as free agents after providing a club with a certain number of years service. Once they’d joined their new clubs, their free agency status essentially refreshed.

But Fairfax Media reported on Wednesday night that free agent recruits will be eligible for free agency again when their latest contract expires, under the new AFL ruling.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/2d651b8d3445a0f55f80e57278102942

The City of Adelaide nursery does fantastic work for the Park Lands and city overall (plants, mulch) so if that site were to be taken over another location needs to be found for the nursery in my opinion.
I think the aquatic centre location is worth exploring, particularly if it (at least in part) remains as a swimming-focused public recreation facility. Blackfriars Priory School might not be so keen on the proposal (given they use the fields surrounding the centre) however there might be a mutually beneficial arrangement to be reached in that regard.
It's a shithole around there (Aquatic Centre), could do with redeveloping tbh.

We can guarantee the Advertiser will plug this idea relentlessly.
The parklands are being nibbled at an accelerating rate and I for one don't think they should be allowed
to go ahead with this idea. It's PUBLIC property and should not be usurped by a multi million $ business.
Curious that it gets oxygen under a liberal government...... not!
The Adelaide Club (Nth Tce variety) will be utensil-a-hoop over this idea first raised by Peter Goers about 3yrs ago.
Then it was going to be done on the coat tails of Prince Alfred College wanting exactly the same idea.
The crows won't be happy 'til they own the town good n proper.

The arrogance of this is breath taking. Seriously who da faq do they think they are.
Maybe we should accept the inevitable, change our name to the crows mk2 then the waw anchors
can play with themselves.
Call me an old stodge but like the SMA 5star AO hotel this stealing of public property is wrong.

We can guarantee the Advertiser will plug this idea relentlessly.
The parklands are being nibbled at an accelerating rate and I for one don't think they should be allowed
to go ahead with this idea. It's PUBLIC property and should not be usurped by a multi million $ business.
Curious that it gets oxygen under a liberal government...... not!
The Adelaide Club (Nth Tce variety) will be utensil-a-hoop over this idea first raised by Peter Goers about 3yrs ago.
Then it was going to be done on the coat tails of Prince Alfred College wanting exactly the same idea.
The crows won't be happy 'til they own the town good n proper.

The arrogance of this is breath taking. Seriously who da faq do they think they are.
Maybe we should accept the inevitable, change our name to the crows mk2 then the waw anchors
can play with themselves.
Call me an old stodge but like the SMA 5star AO hotel this stealing of public property is wrong.
If setting benefits the public then I'm all for some developments on a minor scale.

This and the hotel in no way benifits the general public.

AFL player movement will reportedly go to a new flexible level at the end of the 2019 season, with players that previously moved clubs as free agents to regain the status when they next come out of contract, according Fairfax Media.

The AFL introduced the free agency window in 2012, with players able to move clubs as free agents after providing a club with a certain number of years service. Once they’d joined their new clubs, their free agency status essentially refreshed.

But Fairfax Media reported on Wednesday night that free agent recruits will be eligible for free agency again when their latest contract expires, under the new AFL ruling.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/2d651b8d3445a0f55f80e57278102942
******* AFL stop changing the ******* rules

Yes either one - The nursery site would be OK and far enough away from oval- There's no way they should allowed close enough to AO as the next generation site.

It will be good to get rid of them from west lakes, which is actually a part of the port river and part of our space. The more east they go the better - put them out at walkerville, or the old Vic park racecourse, urbrae, or kensington - theres plenty of space. They could even build a club rooms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does this work in conjunction with compo picks?

Say we pick up Luke Dahlhaus or whoever as a free agent at the end of his current contract. Do Geelong then get a compo pick for him, even though they picked him up for free in the first place? I want to say 'surely not, that would be ridiculous', but this is the AFL that we're talking about here.

Why don’t they just buy a club like North Adelaide, or move in to Thebarton? The ACC won’t allow them to build on public land and not should they allow it.

Their membership are a disparate lot with differing allegiances outside the Crows.

Pick Thebarton, you piss off a lot of the eastern/southern 'burbs supporters.
Pick Norwood, you piss off a lot of the western/northern 'burbs supporters.

They need a greenfield site.

FWIW, I have no issue with them doing something aligned with the Aquatic Centre, as long as they are required to upgrade the public facility as part of the development. It would be a win/win situation.

I doubt the Crows would go for that though, they've never really been that good at 'sharing the wealth', even with their own supporters.

How does this work in conjunction with compo picks?

Say we pick up Luke Dahlhaus or whoever as a free agent at the end of his current contract. Do Geelong then get a compo pick for him, even though they picked him up for free in the first place? I want to say 'surely not, that would be ridiculous', but this is the AFL that we're talking about here.

increasing the pool of potential free agents tells me the compensation picks are going to be phased out.

More opportunity to get a free agent to replace one you've lost = you don't need to be compensated.

Brendon Goddard has announced his 'retirement' from the AFL.

On a similar note, I'd like to announce my retirement from trying to sleep with Kate Upton.
Don't give up, you're only a cataclysmic event, leaving you as one of a handful of men left on earth, away from your shot.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Crows having a base in the city as long as it isn't a part of AO, let them swan around the city getting pampered with smoke blown up their ass as well as the players always being within a stones throw from Hindley St.. It's all positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back