(Log in to remove this ad.)

GremioPower

"The 'status quo' is not acceptable"
Uruguayana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD (USA)]
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Cleveland Indian
Keep governments out of this and it might happen in a reasonable time frame. Sure the government should fund a feasibility study as recommended in the story re available land, environment issues, planning issues etc, and help fast track (excuse the pun) getting thru this red tape, but don't let them be in charge of funding it otherwise it will never happen. The idea of the government funding an innovation hub is an ok one as well.

My colleague was the deputy chair of the committee that looked into the Very Fast Train concept between Melbourne and Sydney in 1993. He recommended in the interim report that the Oz government go to Germany and buy out the Maglev train and buy the rights and all up spend $500m on that and building stage 1 from Sydney to Canberra and finish it off over the next decade in stages as the money becomes available. The government didn't accepted it because it was lobbied heavily, by BHP who couldn't sell steel to build the tracks and by Elders who wanted to make capital appreciation on land it owned mainly in Victoria and southern NSW in the proposed rail corridor. In 1993 the Maglev was about 18 years old and apart from a 30 km test track in Germany hadn't been purchased by anyone, the price to buy them out back then would have been relatively cheap. The Maglev goes at around 500km/hr but on long runs could be cranked up to 800 km/hr. The TGV type fast train BHP and Elders wanted built goes at about 300km/hr

You can't depend on the government to drive this but they can help. Look at Musk since he first thought about it in 2012, worked on it for a while and then wrote a 58 page theoretical paper in 2013 and said he is to busy to do this but challenged others to take up his idea, 3 different groups have progressed pretty quickly with not much government backing. When you have a bloke called Brogan BamBrogan, Hyperloop One's co-founder, you want to see this succeed.

It's only taken about 3~4 years to go from talking about getting speeds of 800 km/hr to over 1,200 km/hr. Its coming, the only question is one of how long. In November the B1M construction guys looked at the 10 most likely routes around the world and they chose Brisbane to Melbourne. No Adelaide mentioned but it would be in the mix once this got serious.

The three Southern capitals — Porto Alegre, Florianópolis, and Curitiba — were left out, and freedom of movement is a concept unknown by the Argentines. A Brazilian loop, from Porto Alegre to São Paulo to Natal to Bethlehem to Goiânia to São Paulo would make more sense.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-07/how-many-premiership-players-are-on-your-clubs-list

The number of flags on your club's list in 2019
Adelaide: 0
Brisbane: 5
Carlton: 1
Collingwood: 8
Essendon: 1
Fremantle: 4
GWS Giants: 1
Geelong: 11 .................. ( got think about this one - Selwood 3, Gaz 2, Taylor 2, Hawkins 2, others ??? )
Gold Coast: 0
Hawthorn: 35
Melbourne: 4
North Melbourne: 0
Port Adelaide: 1
Richmond: 22
St Kilda: 2
Sydney: 9
West Coast: 21
Western Bulldogs: 19

* Stats courtesy of Champion Data

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Papa G

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm convinced Clarkson has done a deal with the devil. The amount of bullshit, luck, umpire assistance, opposition not showing up on GF day and various other anomolies was outside any statistical possibilities.

bomberclifford

Importer/Exporter
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
I'm convinced Clarkson has done a deal with the devil. The amount of bullshit, luck, umpire assistance, opposition not showing up on GF day and various other anomolies was outside any statistical possibilities.
Once the AFL realised that Carlton were not going anywhere upwards in a hurry, they needed a new 4th member of the fabled "Big4". Hawthorn, the supremely white-bread, eastern suburbs, 80s toughguys/rich kids were the perfect candidate.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
He has played non Vic teams in his 2013-15 wins, Freo, Swans and Eagles, with the 2 WA teams not really being ready, and ****en Geelong choked. 6.12 at half time missed numerous easy shots. They were 21-1 for the season and 23-1 going into the GF and chocked and got away with it. Any other non Vic team or small Vic team would have been dubbed chokers if they lost from that position. Helped that Stewie Dew turned it on for 10-12 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

Ports1870

Team Captain
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-07/how-many-premiership-players-are-on-your-clubs-list

Geelong: 11 .................. ( got think about this one - Selwood 3, Gaz 2, Taylor 2, Hawkins 2, others ??? )

Dahlhaus is one for Geelong, not sure who the 11th is.
Edit: Duncan played in 2011 as well.

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports

Wow, it's almost as if there is some correlation between years since a club won a flag, or multiple flags, and the number of flags on their list. :think:

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
I've said it before, but if what we have tried to do the last few years is in fact leading edge stuff, even revolutionary, Rockliff says we are doing things he has never seen before, then GWS who have better skills than us across the park, and Nicks taking "our" ideas there, he probably has the best chance to see it work there. I've also have said you don't set a field for a Windies menacing 4 fast bowlers type attack, when you only have a Sri Lankan pop gun attack. Will be interesting to see what Nicks and the GWS do this year.

Last edited:

Doctor Feel

Shitposter In Chief
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've said it before, but if what we have tried to do the last few years is in fact leading edge stuff, even revolutionary, Rockliff says we are doing things he has never seen before, then GWS who have better skills than us across the park, and Nicks taking "our" ideas there, he probably has the best chance to see it work there. I've also have said you don't set a field for a Windies menacing 4 fast bowlers type attack, when you only have a Sri Lankan pop gun attack. Will be interesting to see what Nicks and the GWS do this year.
It took us far too long to attack the list in the right way. We kept going for those "one last piece of the puzzle" type solutions without realising we needed about 6 or 7. Wish we cashed in on more players during our 13/14 run rather than letting that depreciation hurt their value. We'd be in a good spot with plenty of talent without much lost out the door.

Hawthorn would have done it for sure.

robbo1981

Team Captain
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep my old man keeps saying karma will come our way im still bloody waiting.

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
Two years ago it would have been interesting. Without peak Scully and Shiel, GWS are just the same as everyone else.

And Nicks can take his team offence bullshit there and I'd have no problem with it whatsoever. By the time he gets it to actually work, Kelly and Whitfield will be long gone.

JimmyBeerCans

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had no idea that Rob Chapman is a Coopers director. That's an interesting combination with the SMA who backed Lion Nathan.

I bet all of the hotels owned by Crows directors are staunch Coopers.
Not that I needed another reason to think Coopers is overrated SA Great dishwater but yea completely off the shopping list.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Had no idea that Rob Chapman is a Coopers director. That's an interesting combination with the SMA who backed Lion Nathan.

I bet all of the hotels owned by Crows directors are staunch Coopers.
I knew there was a reason why I never drank coopers!.

Top Bottom