mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
THE 2018 SANFL grand final will be “forever tainted” after this controversial side claimed victory, furious fans are claiming
NORTH Adelaide have defeated Norwood by 19 points in the SANFL grand final to complete a remarkable rags-to-riches tale.
North, coached by ex-AFL player Josh Carr, have risen from finishing bottom last year to win the premiership with a 19.10 (124) to 15.15 (105) triumph on Sunday.
The club’s spot in the grand final was only confirmed by the SANFL tribunal last Tuesday night after the club fielded an extra player for a period in their preliminary final victory.
The controversy was a hot talking point in the footy world as opposition stars took to social media to slam the “rigged” farce.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...y/news-story/40ad30a36476e84716ffd6cc6e3941b8
The sooking has started..:thumbsu:
It was already in place. It just needed a push. Football being played as a sport has gone downhill in this state since we joined the extended VFL.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I get what you mean, but then if someone had told me back in the day that Stuart Dew would have the dedication and acumen to become an AFL head coach, I'd have questioned their sanity.

And with the Cornes brothers I'd have picked Kane to be the one to get into coaching and Chad to be the media boofhead ;)

just another article that is 'choose a position, find supporting tweets'
that you can find supporting tweets for any extreme position you choose never seems to be an issue.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
DnzcQkfW0AAZQ7I.jpg

Good luck with that one Eddie.

THE 2018 SANFL grand final will be “forever tainted” after this controversial side claimed victory, furious fans are claiming
NORTH Adelaide have defeated Norwood by 19 points in the SANFL grand final to complete a remarkable rags-to-riches tale.
North, coached by ex-AFL player Josh Carr, have risen from finishing bottom last year to win the premiership with a 19.10 (124) to 15.15 (105) triumph on Sunday.
The club’s spot in the grand final was only confirmed by the SANFL tribunal last Tuesday night after the club fielded an extra player for a period in their preliminary final victory.
The controversy was a hot talking point in the footy world as opposition stars took to social media to slam the “rigged” farce.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...y/news-story/40ad30a36476e84716ffd6cc6e3941b8

Hahaha the exact reason why I was hoping North would get up. Also Carr was my favourite player for years.

I get the previous game being called tainted, but the GF? All you had to do was win the game Norwood.

Yeah maybe try winning the GF on your own merits. Only have to win on the day, forgetting about everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DnzcQkfW0AAZQ7I.jpg

Good luck with that one Eddie.

I'm interested in the MCC tickets shake up article there.
A good start would be to deny them access to the Grand Final unless the team they nominate as their own is involved.

I get what you mean, but then if someone had told me back in the day that Stuart Dew would have the dedication and acumen to become an AFL head coach, I'd have questioned their sanity.
Dew was/is a footy nut. He talked about how much he loved watching footy and playing it. He didn't like the training side. I saw him as being a perfect candidate for a state league coach but never picked him as an AFL coach.

Ditts on MMM stating no priority picks for GC or Carlton, instead both clubs will get priority access to 3 state league players ahead of the draft.
Mitch Grigg welcome to ............... Carlton or GC.

What about the Saints or Brisbane? I know they both inquired about a priority pick. Wins for the last 4 years starting with 2015

Carl 4+7+6+2 = 19 wins
GCS 4.5+6+6+4 = 20 wins and 1 draw
StK 6.5+12+11+4.5 = 33 wins and 2 draws
Bris 4+3+5+5 = 17 wins

St Kilda dont need/deserve a priority access but Brisbane do if GC and Carlton are getting them.

Last edited:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
25,064 fans made it to Perth Stadium which is a bit of new stadium effect but Eagles footy fans probably had better things to do today than go to the footy. First crowd of 25k since 2002 GF when 31k watched East Perth beat West Perth and IIRC was the last season that WCE were 100% aligned with East Perth in a 4 years trial and Freo aligned to South Freo. The 100% realignment was reintroduced in 2014 but this year is the last year of version 2 of alignments.

Upon reading this thought they got 25k to the Krakouer-Coniglio show in the 2010 for Swans-Claremont (one of the greatest and most dramatic games of footy I've seen at any level), but checked and they fell just short - 24,638. Good effort from the public yesterday to support it (particularly given neither Subi or West Perth in recent history aren't the largest drawcards) and the atmosphere at the stadium still came through the TV. And while I was a bit concerned as to what would happen to the WAFL's visibility after the ABC could no longer broadcast it, Channel 7 have done an outstanding job with it.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Mitch Grigg welcome to ............... Carlton or GC.

What about the Saints or Brisbane? I know they both inquired about a priority pick. Wins for the last 4 years starting with 2015

Carl 4+7+6+2 = 19 wins
GCS 4.5+6+6+4 = 20 wins and 1 draw
StK 6.5+12+11+4.5 = 33 wins and 2 draws
Bris 4+3+5+5 = 17 wins

St Kilda dont need/deserve a priority access but Brisbane do if GC and Carlton are getting them.
I understand your point but Brisbane got one last year and showed a heap of improvement this year. That improvement may be better reflected in their percentage than win/loss.

I think most people would see a more positive outlook for their list than Gold Coast or Carlton. The fact they are even being discussed as an option to poach Lachie Neale says that they don’t need any assistance to me.

Upon reading this thought they got 25k to the Krakouer-Coniglio show in the 2010 for Swans-Claremont (one of the greatest and most dramatic games of footy I've seen at any level), but checked and they fell just short - 24,638. Good effort from the public yesterday to support it (particularly given neither Subi or West Perth in recent history aren't the largest drawcards) and the atmosphere at the stadium still came through the TV. And while I was a bit concerned as to what would happen to the WAFL's visibility after the ABC could no longer broadcast it, Channel 7 have done an outstanding job with it.

I still dont reckon people have picked up on Ch 7 dumped Saturday arvo AFL because it doesn't rate and replaced that with local league footy.

In the 2017-22 TV deal Ch 7 cover 77 home and away games a year not 88 like they did in the 2007-11 deal and 2012-16 deal.

Ch 7 produce the Friday night game, a Saturday night game and the Sunday 3.20pm EST game, 22 editions of each of these 3 time slots for the home and away season. They also produce Easter Monday + ANZAC day + Queens Birthday holiday games and the scheduled 8 Thursday night games. That gives them 77 games.

In WA, SA, NSW and Qld, if their home state teams play Saturday arvos, that is a Fox Footy produced game which under the AFL TV agreement says have to be shown on free TV in their home state, but as we saw this year, a few are shown in delay and the rest live.

Koch and Cos Cardone - who is (Eddie) McGuire Media's CEO worked out the deal between Ch 7 and SANFL as part of allowing Port to reunify at the end of 2013 and let the crows enter a team into SANFL. In 2014 covering the SANFL, Ch 7 found the ratings were so good the whole of the 7 Network looked at the next TV deal and for the 2015 season they decided to cover the WAFL, the VFL and the Rugby Union Sydney Shute Shield comp.

The 2017-22 AFL TV rights deal was announced in August 2015 so given these things take about a year to negotiate, 7 obviously made the decision to kick off Saturday arvo AFL broadcast games from their schedule, after the 2014 SANFL experience - where the SANFL ratings were as good as some Saturday arvo AFL games for a few games, and they stayed with local comp sports for that low rating Saturday arvo time slot.

Ok they have to juggle Saturday local vs compulsory Saturday arvo home state AFL games and use 7mate or broadcast 5-7 of the 18 games on a Sunday, but it works well.

IIRC for 2014 season, Koch+Cardone+SANFL had to raise $1m of sponsorship/advertising to cover the 7 production costs for the whole SANFL season. Over the 2017-22 TV deal period for which the TV rights component is a $2.208bil of the total $2.5bil media rights deal, it probably would have cost 7 Network $20m a year for just the rights to produce and broadcast 22 Saturday arvo games. Then there are the production costs on top of that, probably $500k+ a game given you have to travel all round the country.

So if the 4 local comps cost $1m each to produce, even if its $2m each, and as there are no TV rights costs, and the leagues have to help find the sponsors to advertise during the broadcast, and the ratings aren't that much less than the AFL game in that timeslot, then its a no brainer for 7 to get behind it and promote it as hard as they can, because if they can crank up advertising rates then they get the cream from any advertising sales profits after covering production costs.

At the ABC they had a decade plus long of cuts to their budget and centralizing so much production into Sydney HQ in Ultimo and a smaller but still significant chunk of production and management $$$ in Melbourne. So every year the regional leagues were under threat that the ABC wouldn't cover their league as the ABC Sydney management team wanted to cut "unnecessary costs."

The QRL/Queensland Cup finally got pissed off with it and left the ABC for Ch 9 at the end of 2011 season. So given ABC HQ's attitude there wasn't a lot of upside for the local ABC's to crank up production or local leagues. They couldn't get a commercial return from sponsorship to cover production costs or make a profit from growing the coverage.

There is plenty of financial incentive for 7 to keep the local leagues coverage going strong. And they have been smart enough to so. Plus in WA, 7 Perth have Dennis Cometti calling the game - the best broadcaster in the game's history, helps with the quality and he would make sure that production standards don't drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back