Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's 40 degrees in the middle of nowhere any ice cold beer is doable I guess I can't believe people actually drink s**t like West End when there are options however.

I'm so disenchanted with the league. So much so that my indifference to football is pretty substantial at this point. It's less of a passion and more of "I do it because I've always done it" type of thing.

The MCG deal really setback my feelings about the league, and everything since has just made it worse. It's been building for a while. The incredibly insular and vic-centric garbage is so tiresome. Non-vic clubs are just the play things of the league and are never seriously designed to be contenders.

You need only look at the way that "interstate clubs" is thrown around with aplomb. Everyone outside of Victoria is an "interstate club" not just "a club". It's derogatory and shows how the world revolves around Victoria and it's not a truly national competition.
West Coast being the current champions either confirms or refutes this.

It's really important that we get the number of "interstate" clubs ahead of the number of Victorian clubs as soon as possible.

The issues are obviously that expansion clubs in growth areas are probably going to be AFL controlled for the time being. In an ideal world you'd have 2 less Victorian clubs and add a 3rd WA club and give a club to Tasmania and tell them to sink or swim with it.

Eventually we'll have the numbers right and the league won't be so Vic-centric.

It's really important that we get the number of "interstate" clubs ahead of the number of Victorian clubs as soon as possible.

The issues are obviously that expansion clubs in growth areas are probably going to be AFL controlled for the time being. In an ideal world you'd have 2 less Victorian clubs and add a 3rd WA club and give a club to Tasmania and tell them to sink or swim with it.

Won't happen for ages. GC and Brisbane can barely keep their houses in order and we'll see how well GWS or even Sydney go if they have to spend any time in the lower half of the ladder. Then you look at the SA clubs and neither can turn a profit unless they're playing home finals.
The big Vic clubs + West Coast have all the power and will do for the foreseeable future.

Nope. Missed the chance in the 90s/early 2000s to get rid of North Melbourne at least, but didn't have the balls. James ******* Brayshaw's bullshit saved them....... James ******* Brayshaw for Christ sakes! Led me to believe that they just didn't have any real intention of culling any Vic clubs.

They want a an extended VFL. They want the game to revolve around Victoria with ad ons. The league is designed to promote, protect and propagate the 5 or 6 largest Victorian clubs as well as the Swans (the AFL covet the coverage and dollars from Australia's biggest and most important city).

The 4 smaller Vic clubs are used to back up the numbers for the Victorian block as a whole. The small Vic clubs know that they have to play the game because they want the scraps that they AFL will throw them to play ball. They need the fixturing of playing the big Vic clubs because they are actually too small to survive on playing against teams that don't provide away support. They are victims of their need for survival and thus just get pushed around by the bigger Vic clubs/AFL.

GWS will take at least 20 more years to become remotely self sufficient. Gold Coast.... maybe never. Tasmania might get a side, but wouldn't hold my breath. Don't think WA 3 will happen in my lifetime. Can't see a team coming from any where else.

Nope. Missed the chance in the 90s/early 2000s to get rid of North Melbourne at least, but didn't have the balls. James ******* Brayshaw's bullshit saved them....... James ******* Brayshaw for Christ sakes! Led me to believe that they just didn't have any real intention of culling any Vic clubs.

They want a an extended VFL. They want the game to revolve around Victoria with ad ons. The league is designed to promote, protect and propagate the 5 or 6 largest Victorian clubs as well as the Swans (the AFL covet the coverage and dollars from Australia's biggest and most important city).

The 4 smaller Vic clubs are used to back up the numbers for the Victorian block as a whole. The small Vic clubs know that they have to play the game because they want the scraps that they AFL will throw them to play ball. They need the fixturing of playing the big Vic clubs because they are actually too small to survive on playing against teams that don't provide away support. They are victims of their need for survival and thus just get pushed around by the bigger Vic clubs/AFL.

GWS will take at least 20 more years to become remotely self sufficient. Gold Coast.... maybe never. Tasmania might get a side, but wouldn't hold my breath. Don't think WA 3 will happen in my lifetime. Can't see a team coming from any where else.

You're right, i'm probably thinking more 50 odd years from now than 5 years.

Western Australia is probably the biggest missed opportunity for me. You've got the scope to have at least 1 more club in Perth since the mining boom. What they did with West Coast isn't a lot different to what the NRL did with the Broncos, making this massive financial behemoth with very little competition.

The short sightedness of the SANFL f***s us again really. They should have been leading the charge with the likes of the WAFL for a proper national comp instead of being absorbed by the VFL in dribs and drabs. If the SANFL and the WAFL negotiated as a bloc they'd have been able to make the competition a lot more fairly distributed.

Ben Crocker from Collingwood looks like a bloke who went into a tattoo parlour and when asked what he wanted, he replied "Surprise me".

that's a real Ben Crocker...

ben-crocker-of-collingwood-tattoos-are-seen-during-the-vfl-qualifying-picture-id1026053918

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Crocker from Collingwood looks like a bloke who went into a tattoo parlour and when asked what he wanted, he replied "Surprise me".

On the contrary, all of his tattoos seem to match being the same style and colour. Tatts aren’t my thing but I think a consistent/connected collection of pieces looks way better than tribal plus Chinese character plus mangled baby portrait plus deep and meaningful quote with spelling mistakes plus full colour sleeve of favourite Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back