Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't bang the door down about being a family club. We are simply a club, open to families. Families that include adults who might like to have a flutter.

How many pokies would yous have if you could? Plenty of oldies to steal away from the RSLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You just bang on about being a community club, the pokies serve what purpose for the community?

Look I don’t plan on getting into this as it will only end one way, but surely if you are going to have a crack at clubs with pokies you should also acknowledge you have them as well.

Have a good day

We don't bang the door down about being a family club. We are simply a club, open to families. Families that include adults who might like to have a flutter.

How many pokies would yous have if you could? Plenty of oldies to steal away from the RSLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Hurley could make it happen if he wanted to. Maybe that's what the SMA want with this Hotel?

You just bang on about being a community club, the pokies serve what purpose for the community?

Look I don’t plan on getting into this as it will only end one way, but surely if you are going to have a crack at clubs with pokies you should also acknowledge you have them as well.

Have a good day
We had 73 when we merged in 2010. I know we sold 10 about 5 years ago and I think we have sold a handful since.

Xenephon's legislation change makes it hard to do well out of them and Port across 2 venues, which has revenue from pokies and food and beverages have netted between $200k and $400k profit per year from these 3 revenue streams after the 2010 merger.

Yeah we bang on about being the family club, but at least we stick our pokies in our community, not like the Hawks who stuck 100 machines they bought for a song in 2010 when the Vic government broke up the duopoly, in western Melbourne suburb of Caroline Springs, 55km from Mulgrave/Waverley Park and make $3m from them. Even their old base of Glenferrie to Caroline Springs is about a 40km trip.

The HPN stats guys in late 2016 took the financials of all clubs apart and looked at clubs pokie revenue and separated it from traditional footy revenue streams. I made a post from thei website in early 2017 and the Wookie used it to start this thread on Pokies in the AFL on the footy industry board.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-afl-clubs-and-pokies-thread.1155637/
Based on the research we have done, we think that a generous assumption is that 25% of the revenue from pokies are extracted as profit. The rest of that revenue will of course go to maintaining the venues containing the pokies – to operating costs and to subsidised food and drink, and perhaps on other donations (including charitable ones).

Some clubs, such as Port Adelaide, barely make any profit on having poker machines after costs – South Australia does not permit any denomination of notes to be bet in poker machines, while Queensland permits $100 notes to be fed into the machines.

Some clubs, traditionally seen as battlers who are forced to rely on the machines, look like they’d actually be relatively okay without them. The 2015 reported profit of $400k at the Bulldogs becomes a $900k loss. That’s significant, but perhaps not crippling. Most importantly, the AFL could likely compensate for the short term loss with redistributed funds. St Kilda only earn about $2m in gross revenue from pokies, so the modelled half-million deterioration in their net profit is nowhere near as big as some other clubs would face.

Other, more pokie revenue reliant, clubs (Carlton and Brisbane for example), look more heavily embedded. And Hawthorn, who made a $5m profit last year, look like they could divest from their $18m in gaming revenue fairly easily right now...........
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-afl-clubs-and-pokies-thread.1155637/

And the Vic government in October 2018 gave clubs an extension of 20 years on their pokies. From page 7 of that thread.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-afl-clubs-and-pokies-thread.1155637/post-58691445

Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda have been handed 20 year licenses - beginning in 2022 and running to 2042 - to continue operating pokies at venues around Melbourne following an application process that began in October 2017. Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs will sell their pokies and with that surrender millions in guaranteed yearly revenue, while North Melbourne have long been pokies-free.

AFL clubs keeping pokies were handed licences to operate the same amount of machines they currently own with Carlton (290 machines) the most followed by Essendon (190), Hawthorn (165), Richmond (97) and St Kilda (83). Hawthorn generated the most revenue from pokies in the last financial year ($24.3 million) followed by Carlton ($18.4 million), Essendon ($11.6 million), Richmond ($5.3 million) and St Kilda ($2.09 million).
Hawthorn said they take responsibilities around gambling “very seriously” and that they signed the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation charter in 2014. Hawthorn “will seek to identify new non-football business ventures” as part of their “2050 vision”. “The Hawthorn Football Club aims to be financially secure and independent from the AFL, as a result the club is reliant on our non-football investment,” Hawthorn’s statement read. he Hawks said they employ 130 staff at their pokies venues which are "much more than gaming venues".............

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...censes-to-operate-pokies-20181029-p50cl8.html

Edit and there are 2 more threads on the footy industry board about pokies that probably should all be merged into 1 thread and concentrate on Vic clubs' pokies.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...kies-revenue-the-last-financial-year.1139675/

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-family-club-reaps-23million-from-pokies.1172485/

Have a good day

You'd be hard pressed to find many licensed community social clubs without a modest amount of pokies.

There is an acceptable balance in society. Some organisations completely tip it over.

David Parkin has said he will donate his brain to this Australian Sports Brain Bank. He had several bad concussions. After finishing up at Hawthorn he went and captain coached Subiaco and was knocked out for 24 hours and quit playing after that. It will be interesting to see what comes of his brain analysis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't give a **** what timeslot the GF Is in, i only care about it not being ******* locked into the MCG.

It’s definitely a Victorian problem.

How ******* soulless is footy now. Genuinely sucks.

All these bootlickers in media outlet comments sections giving it the “it’s for the kids, something a bit different” spiel.

When we were kids the guernsey was the superhero costume.

I glanced at the first line of text, at the pic, then back to the text and for a moment my tired mind was like they took mcartins brain?

The Saints really are having a rotten run with injuries.

Robertson doesn’t have a huge profile but he is a genuinely good footballer. In a better team and with a better run of luck he is AA quality. It would be a loss to the game to see him cutdown in what should be his prime.

This is great news. Hopefully sport isn’t the cause of many of these issues and they find a different cause that can be treated.
The effects on the brains of boxers and NFL players is pretty much undisputed. Front rowers in rugby union, and players in a number of rugby league positions would make an interesting study. Their brains are pummeled constantly throughout a game and in training, it eventually has to have a deleterious effect on their brains.

AFL is very different. Even if you got four or five big hits that result in concussions over a period, while immediately dangerous, and needs management, players in some of the above sports can get that in one week! Boxers, in one bout!

The fact that they haven't found any evidence of CTE in the brain of the deceased AFL player is very interesting, but one case does not a study make. So this is no doubt just the start of the research.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back