Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was 'overlauded' by the establishment for standing up to racism. He was Australian of the Year for his contribution to the community, which was certainly befitting of the award over and above other sportspeople who had previously won it.

There was an element of tall poppy syndrome about it, sure, because of the support he'd received from the AFL community after being racially abused. But in booing someone because you don't like the way they were supported after being the victim of racism, you're furthering that racism whether you believe you are or not.

That was a far sadder time for footy than the booing by Essendon supporters post-match today. Essendon supporters were frustrated with an umpiring performance. The booing of Adam Goodes was a persistant campaign by people who didn't like him because he'd stuck up for himself after being racially abused and then been supported by the AFL community about it.
He called out a 15 yo girl for her ignorance and the establishment fell over themselves to make him Australian of the year. The average punter smelt cant and hyperbole, refused to drink the bathwater, and finally took exception to being lectured by.their moral betters.

There was no need for such an aggressive celebration as Sydney walked over Carlton at home. It was in my eyes an act of deliberate antagonism and one couldn't help but think it was an attempt to incite a reaction. A reaction is what happened. Doesn't mean it's right but when you let the genie out the bottle those things can happen.
And there was no way any media was going to call him out given the PC world we live it.
Look at Betts, he's copped as much as Goodes but handled it with class. One is a s**t campaigner the other a champion of the game.

Mmmmm. Err. Ahhhh. OK, I started this so I'll finish. If there's been a player in the AFL in the last decade who actually deserved booing it's Lindsay Thomas. If he hadn't spent a pointless 15 min on our list no-one here would blink at that. Even then managed another longish suspension.

The problem is that that is your opinion. Norf supporters would disagree.

I'd say Selwoods or Mathisons constant acting or Walkers tantrums are far more deserving of boos personally.

And in terms of absolute champions that should never be booed, Robbie Gray is a far better example of Pendles (who for the record I hold in very high regard also)

The point is that we have the moral arbiters deciding when to be outraged at booing and when it's ok. It's either all ok or none of it is.

Mike Sheehan on SEN Melbourne - “There’s not one reason to boo Gary Ablett”.
1. He plays for Geelong.
Do I need to have a second reason?

About time the real issue was called out.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/n...l/news-story/e22b7cd3b79ce7edb1c4ab6a9c078b2a

Also, if the AFL are serious about setting a tone about booing take Essendon out of the game next in ANZAC Day.

Sit in a camp on both issues or shut up, acknowledge umpiring has been below average and take the game away from Essendon.

Both won’t happen.

The AFL won’t lead by example it will just expect supporters too.

I’m glad I call my kids out when they do something wrong, they actually learn to own mistakes.

Just wait for Nicholls tonight, been happening to Port for years, but as we are over the border it’s notcteally an issue...

He was booed by the Hawthorn fans for openly liking Israel Folau’s tweet. To not recognise this is to insult the intelligence of the average fan.
I know, but do you think there is a need for another reason than playing for Geelong?

I know, but do you think there is a need for another reason than playing for Geelong?

In all seriousness, you’re right. There’s nothing odd or offensive about booing a member of a team you hate. It’s been happening for as long as I can remember.

Just wait for Nicholls tonight, been happening to Port for years, but as we are over the border it’s notcteally an issue...
West Coast, Adelaide, Geelong at home, Port away - lop-sides free kicks.

Port at home doesn’t get that run: AFL - “See, there’s not a problem with home teams!” 😒

Booing Goodes was all about the situation.

If you were booing him after he'd just slid knees first into the ribs of one of your first year draftees, great, totally support it.

If you were booing him the first time he took possession 10 seconds into a game, then it's bullshit and it's racist. Goodes was being booed because he made moderately outspoken comments about racism suffered by Indigenous footballers and Indigenous people in general. If you booed him during that period of time, you engaged in racism whether you feel like a racist or not.

People took issue with pointing at a 13 year old girl in the crowd who called him a word that she didn't know had historically racial undertones and was then questioned by police. He then said her face was the face of racism.

I wouldn't have booed Goodes and I don't support the people that did, but the whole situation was ugly and not handled well by anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness, you’re right. There’s nothing odd or offensive about booing a member of a team you hate. It’s been happening for as long as I can remember.
In many countries around the world...

People took issue with pointing at a 13 year old girl in the crowd who called him a word that she didn't know had historically racial undertones and was then questioned by police. He then said her face was the face of racism.

I wouldn't have booed Goodes and I don't support the people that did, but the whole situation was ugly and not handled well by anyone.
There are no virgins in the whorehouse, are there?

Was the booing of Goodes after the pointing out the Collingwood girl, or the next year when he done the spear chucking dance toward the Carlton fans at the SCG? I can't remember exactly.

There was no need for such an aggressive celebration as Sydney walked over Carlton at home. It was in my eyes an act of deliberate antagonism and one couldn't help but think it was an attempt to incite a reaction. A reaction is what happened. Doesn't mean it's right but when you let the genie out the bottle those things can happen.

Yeah the spear chucking thing confused me a lot.

I actually like goodesy, thought he was overrated similar to Judd in that they took brownlows that should have been won clearly by GAJ and Swan, but that isnt his fault.

My take on it was:
1. Spear celebration was awesome, gutsy and antagonistic. Good on you goodesy for it.
2. Reaction was obvious boos from the oppo supporters. Good on you guys in the crowd for joining the atmosphere, game on

Then suddenly everyone was crying about it and I didn't get that part at all.

Tredrea got booed a fair bit.

I agree that the Goodes thing was different though. Context is everything.

Yes, do we Port supporters keep booing Luke Hodge for his attempted murder maiming of Chad, or do we now join the "good bloke" brigade and hope he does a better job the next time they meet?

Send Wheatley to a NFL game in Philly in Giants gear, Ibrox in a Celtic kit or the Estadio Monumental Antonio Vespucio Liberti in a Carlos Tevez shirt.

He was booed by the Hawthorn fans for openly liking Israel Folau’s tweet. To not recognise this is to insult the intelligence of the average fan.
For liking a quote in the Bible....?

More likely I'd say it's because he's Ablett and like every game previous to that he is booed by opposition fans trying to put him off his game as he's a champion. This has happened for over 100 years but let's make a story about nothing because it sells.

Whiteley in his younger days.. fancy this lad being easily offended.

4dd195f48a460b8d4be29f7ea2933dfc

Travelling overseas I cop it for being a Australian and how PC our country is.. absolute disgrace how this is dominating the news.
Rubbish!
The first thing most people know about Australian politics is that the people are pretty racist and we killed all the aborigines.
Never, ever has Australia been considered PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back